Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2021, 08:19 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Fill Fresh Water

I just had the oddest thing happen. I ran my fresh water down to near empty.
On my 97 PW my water fill has 2 inlets (city water hose threaded on) fresh water hose (just put hose loosely in inlet to fill fresh water tank) and an opening which I've always assumed was a vent.

I've filled it numerous times on this month-long trip. So when I just tried to fill the tank, it would not accept water. It just seems to flow back out like it's full.

any ideas?
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:25 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
I just had the oddest thing happen. I ran my fresh water down to near empty.
On my 97 PW my water fill has 2 inlets (city water hose threaded on) fresh water hose (just put hose loosely in inlet to fill fresh water tank) and an opening which I've always assumed was a vent.

I've filled it numerous times on this month-long trip. So when I just tried to fill the tank, it would not accept water. It just seems to flow back out like it's full.

any ideas?
Check you vent line, even some water in the vent line can restrict water inflow or cause pressure build-up in the tank.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 01:22 AM   #3
Platinum Member

good call George. I blew out line with sippy cup straw which fit the vent opening perfectly. Could hear water gurgling until no more sound. Then it took the water as normal. Thx!
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 02:01 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
good call George. I blew out line with sippy cup straw which fit the vent opening perfectly. Could hear water gurgling until no more sound. Then it took the water as normal. Thx!
I am glad it worked. To prevent possible future occurrences, it could be good idea to tie the middle of the vent tube higher to prevent water accumulation in a U- tube like structure, assuming you have access. Good luck.
Old 05-27-2021, 05:38 PM   #5

Where is the line? Do you just blow into the opening that the water goes into?
lgiles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:45 PM   #6
Platinum Member

There is a tubing from the marked vent opening to the water tank. Its intent is to let air out as you fill the tank. Water accumulated in the vent tubing can provide sufficient backpressure preventing fill.
Attached Images
File Type: png weweyw.png (319.3 KB, 22 views)
Old 05-28-2021, 01:04 AM   #7

Default Water intake

I thought when you screwed on the hose you were using the water direct from the hose and it did not fill the tank. You filled the tank in the opening by the step and it did not screw on. At least that's how it worked on my previous RVs. And just where is this vent you all are talking about? 97C210V
Lou0403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 01:19 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou0403 View Post
I thought when you screwed on the hose you were using the water direct from the hose and it did not fill the tank. You filled the tank in the opening by the step and it did not screw on. At least that's how it worked on my previous RVs. And just where is this vent you all are talking about? 97C210V
There are usually 2 fresh water filling ports, a pressure one with garden hose inlet and a gravity one. In some RV this shore water pressure connection could also be used for tank filling by opening or electrically activating some valves, that is what I have.

Any fresh water tank needs venting to let air in during draining and to let air out during filling. This vent line, often 3/8” plastic tubing is connected to a fitting on top of the tank and to the vent located near water fill as marked on previous post. If this vent line is "plugged" by bugs or residual water filling by gravity is likely not possible.