Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2015, 10:37 PM   #61
Platinum Member

Default Re: Finally, a Transit upfit (on hold as of 3mar15)

get this truck camper-she will like it

gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:15 AM   #62
Platinum Member

Default Re: Finally, a Transit upfit

After a long discussion, and looking at a lot of "C"s, even the smaller ones almost necessitate a toad because of their width, I will either use my existing travel trailer or buy a cargo trailer and outfit it with an A/C, heater, and bed space (the relative will get the van, I'm not really picky where I crash out, so a cargo trailer with a RV style side door that opens from the inside is good enough for me.)

Here are a few things I've learned:

The bathroom will likely be the molded fiberglass that SMB offers, which has a toilet, shower, and sink. Coupled with the Truma water heater, this is good enough, and the BW tank has a good amount of capacity.

SMB has floorplans specifically for the Transit now, so what I had in the past isn't going to work. The floorplans are for the extended length, not the long body, so I'll take their EB110T plan, extend the two facing dinettes 29 inches (for the LB model), which will give me about 75 inches of length for each... basically the length of a RV queen bed. I will also extend the overhead cabinets as well.

I am debating an awning or not. I have not used the awning on my existing RV because it is a pain to get up and down, plus Texas winds would tear it off in no time. Maybe it might be useful to have, even if it just sits in its case most of the time.

As for electrical, I did look at generator controllers. The EC-30 controller is something that would be almost a no-brainer to have wired in instead of a generator on/off switch inside the van. However, the Magnum Energy controller has a lot more features, such as firing up the generator to top off batteries before quiet hours happen, and to run the genset when the rig is in storage automatically. I am leaning towards the Magnum Energy solution because the control panel is an all in one item. I can turn on/off the inverter, check batteries, power on/off the generator, and other stuff, all in one location. If I did not go with a hybrid inverter (for example, if it took too much space), I'd go with the Onan EC-30.

Sizing may be an issue for the inverter. If it takes up too much space, I might have to nix the hybrid inverter, and go with a Magnum Energy MMS 1012, as well as a Progressive Industries EMS HW-30C (so if there is an undervoltage, the A/C power is cut off as opposed to the compressor getting burned out.)

As for the alternator, SMB can do a second alternator. This way, if the weather is extremely hot or cold, I can run the van, use the chassis's heating and cooling in addition to the coach's furnace and overhead A/C.

As for the heater and A/C, since the A/C isn't ducted, I have been thinking of just having it specced so the controls are overhead. Since the Truma furnace will have its own thermostat, might as well not bother with a thermostat for the A/C other than an overhead one on the unit (although I do like having the ability to set a temperature rather than move a knob between a red/blue setting). Again, I want a KISS principle, and want to minimize multiplexed wiring issues.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:57 PM   #63
Platinum Member

Default Re: Finally, a Transit upfit (back on track as of 22 apr 201

I have a Blue Sky on my trailer. I works very well. Once it's set up, I don't see that you'll really need to tinker with it, other than initiate an equalize sequence occasionally.

I have an EC-30W on order and should be here shortly. It looks like a no-brainer install, but I am concerned about getting a signal inside the van (considering the metal body). With this device, it may be necessary to install the control/transmitter box inside the van. The wiring on the harness is rather short though, so not sure how that would work.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:49 PM   #64
Platinum Member

mlts a Trailmanor folding hard sided trailer might be a good option for you. I love them but could never get the wife interested
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:51 PM   #65
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher
I have a Blue Sky on my trailer. I works very well. Once it's set up, I don't see that you'll really need to tinker with it, other than initiate an equalize sequence occasionally.

I have an EC-30W on order and should be here shortly. It looks like a no-brainer install, but I am concerned about getting a signal inside the van (considering the metal body). With this device, it may be necessary to install the control/transmitter box inside the van. The wiring on the harness is rather short though, so not sure how that would work.
AFAIK, the EC-30W is probably the best thing going for an aftermarket upfit, but you are right about the module and remote access. I've read about someone drilling a hole for the wires and locating the module inside the van proper for the best signal.

The reason I'm looking at the EC-30 as opposed to the wireless version is that I might as well have that installed while the van is being hardwired and plumbed. It doesn't seem to have as many features as the EC-30W... but it will fire off the genset if the battery's SoC gets low, if the A/C needs to run, and other items.

If you don't mind, let me know how the EC-30W works out for you. If I don't go the full blown Magnum Energy route, I definitely will be going for an EC model.

As for the Trailmanor, those are nice trailers, and quite compact. The toilet is an odd beast in them. However, I will admit I want to go relatively cheap, and either use the TT I have, or have my storage trailer double as bed space for me. It looks like I may just buy a friend's enclosed cargo trailer which has a side RV door and use that.

Since I pretty much have the electrics down, the next step will be solar. I am probably going to see if I can find a flexible solar panel, but with all the doodads on the roof, I might have to see about doing something similar to Davydd's setup and having multiple panels, each going to a separate charge controller.

Now back to floorplans: The EB 110T is OK, but other than the driver and passenger seats, there isn't really room for a desk. The nice thing about European models (and the Travato 59G) is that the rear bench seat can be quite usable for having one's laptop and other papers on it, as well as putting those aside and eating, as well as leaving everything on the table and heading to the rear bed for a nap. I'm 50/50 between just going with the EB 110T floorplan because it is tried and true versus doing research on something else, especially with the new floorplans out from SMB.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:09 PM   #66
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

The EB 110 plan is not shown in their listings with the extended length van. Those extra inches could make a good spot for some kind of desk install with some creative thinking. Sounds like in their layouts that the main assemblies, bath etc are limited in their front to back placement.

Have you seen the Wynn's new video about the 1yr anniversary of their flex solar panel experiences. He recommends if possible staying with the rigid "older" style panels....

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 03:50 AM   #67
Platinum Member

Edited:

There isn't really a floor plan that SMB has for the Transit that I really like. Only one of them has the full bath, another has the bath minus a sink, one has a toilet in the back, and the rest are bathroom-less. However, these are extended length plans, not the long body which adds 29 inches of space, so maybe some work can be done.

I hate to say it, but the best floor plan I've seen that would be ideal for my use tend to be European rigs, where they have a dinette with one bench seat and the driver/passenger seats flipping around. Slightly down from that would be the Travato 59G floorplan, since it has a permanent table that doesn't have to be taken down or moved aside to sleep. Other "B" floorplans have relatively tiny tables which are great for snacks or cards... but not good for using as a work desk.

I could go with another chassis. However, if I went with a ProMaster, I might just go with a Travato and call it done. If I toss $40,000 more into the van, I can have a decent 24 foot 4x4 Sprinter upfit with all diesel appliances. However, I don't want to wait too long before going for a "B", as I could end up waiting forever.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:20 AM   #68
Platinum Member

I thought one of the main features of Sportsmobile was the ability to design your own floor plan.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:08 AM   #69
Platinum Member

Yes . Sportsmobile will build exactly what you want. Fresno will do it kicking and screaming but will build it. Austin and Indiana are more easy going.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:14 PM   #70
Platinum Member

Yes, Sportsmobile can easily allow a new floor plan design, including a bathroom in the rear like the Travato 59K. My concern for a completely new floorplan is tank placement. However, that can be addressed by using a macerator toilet. For me, the 130S is the floorplan I would like to get (which is a Sprinter floorplan.) It might be able to be shoehorned into the long body Transit.

Guess I'll send a note and check if it can be done.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:16 PM   #71
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22
Yes, Sportsmobile can easily allow a new floor plan design, including a bathroom in the rear like the Travato 59K. My concern for a completely new floorplan is tank placement. However, that can be addressed by using a macerator toilet. For me, the 130S is the floorplan I would like to get (which is a Sprinter floorplan.) It might be able to be shoehorned into the long body Transit.

Guess I'll send a note and check if it can be done.
Sportsmobile will do a new floor plan but they can't build even close to the look of modern class B's. I just saw a brand new Sportsmobile and I would have guessed it was 10 years old.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:35 PM   #72
Platinum Member

The big thing I see is that they don't seem to have curved wood for cabinets and counters. This isn't a deal-breaker, but this is something that Travatos, Airstreams, and Roadtreks all have. For having what I want, I can run without curved wood, as well as the extremely shiny veneers. I don't see how a custom place could do curved ones anyway at a reasonable price, since it requires a lot of equipment and planning, which pays off in mass production, but definitely not in one-offs.

Other than that, their bathroom is well designed and functional, and their beds are decent. I don't see anything other than the lack of curves causing issues, especially if the rig has the latest appliances.
Old 05-16-2015, 03:02 AM   #73
Platinum Member

Forget the curved cabinets. That's just a current design preference. If you look closely at a Travato 59G you will see it is all CAD, formed ABS, furniture by Tecnoform out of Italy. It really is all form fitted to the Ducato/Promaster.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:12 PM   #74
Platinum Member

Very true. They also don't have the ability to fine-tune a floorplan like the bigger names, because they are not mass producing items. So, they can't do like ARV, Winnebago, and other makers, since one van can be completely different from another, even with the same floorplan. I know I am trading the finesse of an optimized floor plan... but it is worth it for a good Transit upfit, as a vehicle I plan to keep and use for a long time.

A lot of things I'm looking at having custom are fairly rare. Just having a Transit as a chassis is one nice thing, but what makes it worth it is the electrical system, and the above mods mentioned. Things like a macerator toilet can add additional flexibility to the floorplan, where the black water tank can be located in an optimal spot, so it can drain without needing a pump like the 59G Travato.

I will say the 2016 Travato 59G is quite close to the perfect floorplan for my needs, especially because Winnebago is speccing an EMS and the Truma furnace/water heater.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:11 PM   #75
Platinum Member

One side note that I'm trying to figure out. Since the Transit can support a secondary alternator, what gauge wiring should I make sure is specced, assuming a battery bank mounted amidships (it may be closer, but I am going to assume 10-15 feet just to be safe.) I'm guessing 0 AWG.

The reason for going with fat wires for this is what was mentioned in another thread -- a lot of "B" upfitters go with a gauge that causes enough voltage loss that it will not do much for charging the house batteries, so without proper thickness of wires, that 250 amp alternator is pointless.

If the run is longer, it might even be better to go with a MEPS alternator which gives 120 VAC, run those wires to a high amperage converter like a WF-88100. However, the MEPS alternator isn't ideal for what I'm doing without a dual-input Victron or Magnum Energy inverter.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:24 PM   #76
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22 View Post
One side note that I'm trying to figure out. Since the Transit can support a secondary alternator, what gauge wiring should I make sure is specced, assuming a battery bank mounted amidships (it may be closer, but I am going to assume 10-15 feet just to be safe.) I'm guessing 0 AWG.

The reason for going with fat wires for this is what was mentioned in another thread -- a lot of "B" upfitters go with a gauge that causes enough voltage loss that it will not do much for charging the house batteries, so without proper thickness of wires, that 250 amp alternator is pointless.
A quick google search for wire size calculator or similar will yield plenty of sites delivering the answer to your question. No guessing or assuming needed. Your variables needed: Length of the wire run, DC or AC, accepted voltage drop, amps expected.
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:30 PM   #77
Platinum Member

Booster posted a good calculator here: http://www.classbforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3571
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:41 PM   #78
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostalli View Post
Your variables needed: Length of the wire run, DC or AC, accepted voltage drop, amps expected.
Yeah, but it is those last two that are the hard ones.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:05 PM   #79
Platinum Member

From the numbers I see, I dont get why anyone would buy a Sportsmobile. Once your done the price is at what you can get a 59G or 59K for at a show. Much worse craftsmanship.
mrshowtime3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:33 AM   #80
Platinum Member

Go to the Sportsmobile website and look at floorplans and see all the different configurations. You will see why people go to them compared to a couple of floorplans of the major manufacturers. .Sprinter floorplans would fit Transit van.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote