Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2017, 03:21 PM   #41
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
what matters: The Odds and what you are going to do about the odds with Everything, like stepping into your bath tub too.
So, are you suggesting that we should behave rationally or something?

Some statistics offered without comment:

# of US Highway deaths in 2015: 35,092

average annual US terrorism deaths since 1995: 163

Budget of US Federal Highway Safety Improvement Program 2016 $2.226 Billion

US annual spending on counter-terrorism: $16.6 Billion

[citations available upon request]
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:52 PM   #42
Platinum Member

I'm solving my bathtub issue with my advancing age. I'm moving into a new home with a master shower instead of a tub. I can't even remember the last time I took an actual bath.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:55 PM   #43
BBQ
Platinum Member

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:06 PM   #44
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Don't some of these road side service contracts include some language that requires the vehicle to be on a paved road or driveway?
Potentially, CAA/AAA has some exclusions on their site such as temporary roads and winter roads. But a camp site at a park would still be fine and I've personally seen them come out for others in campgrounds. Boondockers out in the bush may have an issue.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:06 PM   #45
Bud
Platinum Member

Ok, I'll comment and probably be tossed right out of this forum:

"So, are you suggesting that we should behave rationally or something?"

Well, going forward yes. But you cited history:

"average annual US terrorism deaths since 1995: 163

US annual spending on counter-terrorism: $16.6 Billion"

The comment is that you left out the history of who the terrorists were. Fact is, they were religious, not considered black or brown people (skin color), and not Muslim - fact.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:34 PM   #46
Platinum Member

I don't think Avanti was commenting about who the terrorist were or making any judgments. He was commenting about the priorities placed on addressing problems and the cost/benefit disparity in any rational way. We tend to accept as fate some things and get overly alarmed at other things. A lot of times rational thinking does not enter into the decisions. Also, one can make comparisons between many things that way other than terrorists and have you scratching your head as to why.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:34 PM   #47
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
Congrats on your decision. Does the Ascent have both a generator and an inverter? Our Promaster has a spare tire where many converters put the generator. Our 2000w pure sine inverter does a great job running the microwave, Vitamix, toaster, and hair dryer.
Yes, both generator and 2000W PureSine inverter.
NorthPotomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:41 PM   #48
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
The Ascent brochure indicates: "Exterior mount spare tire carrier" but doesn't illustrate it.
See the video for the 2017 Ascent, on the PW site or . They have abandoned the spare (saves weight, saves space (<20 feet charge for ferries, makes rear more accessible) and replaced it with 3 years roadside assist and tire repair/reinflate/seal kit. Sounds reasonable to me, given the real risks involved. The tire size {LT245/75R16) is quite common (check out the many brands available on Tire Rack, etc.) and should be in stock if perchance there is a non-repairable blowout.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:14 PM   #49
Platinum Member

I was able to mount a spare on the rear door, the spare extends out beyond the bumper about 4" or less thus keeping the van <20'. I only carry it on long trips. I'm fearful of hearing "dueling banjos" when stranded in remote areas.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:41 PM   #50
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I don't think Avanti was commenting about who the terrorist were or making any judgments. He was commenting about the priorities placed on addressing problems and the cost/benefit disparity in any rational way. We tend to accept as fate some things and get overly alarmed at other things. A lot of times rational thinking does not enter into the decisions. Also, one can make comparisons between many things that way other than terrorists and have you scratching your head as to why.
I agree Davydd with your first sentence. I did not make any judgement either, rather provided an additional fact concerning your second sentence. It was even more irrational yet.

If someone says something with enough conviction, over and over, some folks will starting believing it. It gets even worse, a Carl Sagan quote:

"One of the saddest lessons in history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle".

Bud
Old 02-04-2017, 07:02 PM   #51
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I'm solving my bathtub issue with my advancing age. I'm moving into a new home with a master shower instead of a tub. I can't even remember the last time I took an actual bath.
I quit taking baths in favor of showers when I realized I wasn't removing anything - I was just rearranging it.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:30 PM   #52
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPotomac View Post
Yes, both generator and 2000W PureSine inverter.
Watched the video. Nice compact B. We really like our Truma AquaGo tankless/instant hot water heater. Hot water in less than 5 seconds and steady temp. Hope yours is spec'ed out with it.
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:35 PM   #53
Gold Member

Quote:
Watched the video. Nice compact B. We really like our Truma AquaGo tankless/instant hot water heater. Hot water in less than 5 seconds and steady temp. Hope yours is spec'ed out with it.
Yes, it is. They switched over to Truma about 1/4 way through the 2017 model year.

And the 2017's built on a 2017 chassis have the swiveling seats, which was very important for us.

Very happy to see you like the Truma. Maybe we will see you on the road this summer!
Old 02-04-2017, 07:40 PM   #54
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes, it is. They switched over to Truma about 1/4 way through the 2017 model year.

And the 2017's built on a 2017 chassis have the swiveling seats, which was very important for us.

Very happy to see you like the Truma. Maybe we will see you on the road this summer!
Nice. We have to turn ours down at the faucet it's so hot. It is steady heat even when we're taking 10 minute showers with hookups. You also can turn it on right before needing hot water. I only wish we had a similar instant hot water setup at home. What color are you getting?
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:48 PM   #55
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
The problem with this class of argument is that with modern tires, the probability of getting an unrepairable flat is very likely no greater than that of many other potentially disabling failures (say, for example, an alternator or a universal joint.) You are not going to easily source THEM in the boonies either. Why should you choose to carry the tire instead of any of 100 other plausible choices?
That's a good question but I think there is a persuasive answer:

I agree that there might be 100 other plausible events that could disable your vehicle but what is distinguishable among these events is to what extent you can mitigate the level of those risks prior to departure with inspections, maintenance and timely repairs and factoring in the cost and inconvenience of spares.

The point is that with due diligence, I can mitigate if not eliminate many of those risks. But while I may be the master of the coach, I'm a prisoner of the road conditions. Compared to other risks, there is relatively little I can do to mitigate the risks of tire damage from pot holes, rocks from slides and scrap deposited by other vehicles.

With respect to tires and wheels, another factor needs to be considered which is the increasing use of aluminum wheels which while attractive, are more vulnerable to damage from a sidewall blowout from a road hazard, sometimes to the point where the replacement tire won't hold air. So, I don't settle for just a spare tire, I carry a full tire and wheel.

In the final analysis, the spare tire is really just another form of insurance and you either pay the premium for this protection or you take your chances. The consequences could range from benign to draconian i.e. from a brief and amusing inconvenience to a ruined vacation. I just have too much respect for Murphy to mess with his law.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:55 PM   #56
Gold Member

Quote:
What color are you getting?
Outside: Pearl
Ultraleather: Titanium
Corian: Milky Way
Cabinets: High Gloss White Chocolate

See all these colors here.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:21 PM   #57
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Outside: Pearl
Ultraleather: Titanium
Corian: Milky Way
Cabinets: High Gloss White Chocolate

See all these colors here.
It's a beauty.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:01 PM   #58
Bud
Platinum Member

Kind of a like Work of Art.

Bud
Old 02-05-2017, 02:50 AM   #59
Platinum Member

Quote:

They really should do a better job updating the specs on the website. Still says no swivel seats and no Truma mentioned. Did they finally get rid of the old generator and go with a large second alternator instead? Shouldn't be that hard to update a website. Especially the swivel seats that are deal breaker for many (us included). Good to see that both are now available.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:53 PM   #60
Bronze Member

Quote:
This forum has been invaluable for my wife and me as we contemplated our first ever RV purchase. Yesterday we pulled the trigger, ordering a new PW Ascent.

We visited 2 Hershey shows and several dealers (WGO, PW, RT) before making our choice. Ultimately, a long test drive of an Ascent at our friendly dealer (Beckley's Camping, Thurmont MD) made the difference. My wife LOVED driving it and we loved the huge panoramic views from the back afforded by the layout of the Ascent. She told me she didn't want anything longer, and so that ruled out the Lexor (our other option) and our choice was made. We are coming from a motorcycling background (including trips to Newfoundland and to California from our base in Maryland) and so we are unlikely to feel constrained by the 19'7" length and concomitant cargo capacity.

We got the maximum solar capacity, by the way. The Lithium batteries, inverter, etc. are the right setup for the moderate boon docking we have in mind. We also really liked the fact that the Ascent comes with TPMS (the dually Sprinter chassis are not so equipped).

I might add that we contacted several factories with questions, and Pleasure Way was mighty forthcoming. I got responses within minutes, usually from high-ranking executives (including CEO Dean Rumpel). We also explored the FB page of Pleasure-way owners and were mighty impressed with their ownership experience.

Nothing is perfect, of course, and I'm sure other manufacturers make products that fit other forum members perfectly. But we think the Ascent works for us. We will be picking up the unit in May, and will test it for 3 weeks before embarking on our first ever trip, to the Grand Canyon.

Again, thanks to members of this forum for their invaluable teaching.
My wife and I also lived the Ascent but unfortunately being over 6 ft made the driver's seat a little tight
Now giving the FL a serious look
Best of luck!
TRFranta is offline   Reply With Quote