Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2017, 12:01 AM   #61

Congrats! We're looking at Class B and are undecided between the Agile and the Ascent. My gut feeling is to go with the Ascent. I love the technology on the Agile, but just seem to be far too many horror stories with people have serious issues, although in fairness I haven't heard any with the Agile.
I really love the option of having the EcoTrek 400 battery system, UG generator, solar, induction etc. Just not sure if I want to be a guinea pig for Roadtrek.
Lots of good information here though!

regards..
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:23 AM   #62
Platinum Member

It wouldn't take much to make the Ascent significantly better. Besides the things already discussed, an efficient compressor refrigerator instead of the 3-way Dometic would be an upgrade. You wouldn't want to run the refrigerator very long on 12 volt power which sort of defeats the purpose of the lithium batteries. You would be filling the LP tank regularly with an LP refrigerator, LP generator, LP water heater and furnace.

A 2nd alternator (which would allow a spare tire) and a compressor refrigerator would make this a no-brainer over the SS Agile for me.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:49 AM   #63

All true, but PW don't do it, so it really doesn't help with my decision.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:48 AM   #64
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Congrats! We're looking at Class B and are undecided between the Agile and the Ascent. My gut feeling is to go with the Ascent. I love the technology on the Agile, but just seem to be far too many horror stories with people have serious issues, although in fairness I haven't heard any with the Agile.
I really love the option of having the EcoTrek 400 battery system, UG generator, solar, induction etc. Just not sure if I want to be a guinea pig for Roadtrek.

regards..

A couple of years ago, the labeling of owners of the Ecotrek system as guinea pigs had some merit. But that was then and this is now. I think the electrical/electronic problems with their stuff have been resolved and if you stick with current production I think you would be in good shape. FWIW, our 2017 coach has 800ah, GU alternator, solar and Voltstart and so far it operates seamlessly.

If you're a stickler for construction detail, PW does a superior job but we're glad we traded the plus in PW build quality for the higher tech features provided by RT (particularly the underhood generator) that permits more freedom from RV parks that seem to get more expensive by the day.

Another thing that moved us toward RT is their warranty. The warranties for RT and PW are not identical. RT provides a 6 year unlimited mileage transferable warranty on their current builds. The PW warranty is for 5 years or 60,000 miles and will not transfer to the second owner. IMO, in the event that after a year or so we wanted to sell the coach, the lack of a warranty with a transfer feature would affect the sales value.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:01 AM   #65
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
It wouldn't take much to make the Ascent significantly better. Besides the things already discussed, an efficient compressor refrigerator instead of the 3-way Dometic would be an upgrade. You wouldn't want to run the refrigerator very long on 12 volt power which sort of defeats the purpose of the lithium batteries. You would be filling the LP tank regularly with an LP refrigerator, LP generator, LP water heater and furnace.

A 2nd alternator (which would allow a spare tire) and a compressor refrigerator would make this a no-brainer over the SS Agile for me.
If they had that we would have bought an Ascent but they don't so we bought an Agile. Also as mentioned below the RT warranty is transferable and they have dealers close to us in Boston
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:24 AM   #66

Thanks for that information cruising7388. I do prefer the PW in many respects but also am strongly attracted to the technology of the Agile. Do you have propane onboard?
Old 02-27-2017, 02:24 AM   #67

Thanks Keyne!
Old 02-27-2017, 03:23 AM   #68
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for that information cruising7388. I do prefer the PW in many respects but also am strongly attracted to the technology of the Agile. Do you have propane onboard?
We chose the Chevy RT 210PC which can be optioned similar to the Sprinter Etrek except it still includes propane to support the stove and the water heater. The full blown Sprinter Etrek utilizes a diesel furnace/heater and induction stove and deletes propane.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:13 AM   #69
Gold Member

Quote:

regards..
Lucy, I could have written every word you wrote! We researched for two years. We notably visited many websites detailing nightmares of new buyers of RT. The Hymer takeover will change that company substntially in the future, and we wonder what it will look like.

We concluded that PW has the right combination of technology and quality control for us. Each person is somewhat different, I'm sure, and you may have greater risk tolerance than we do.

We have already had communications directly from the folks in Saskatoon. We don't regret our choice at all.
NorthPotomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:04 PM   #70

Hi NorthPotomac

Yes, we have read a lot of your comments in the forums along with others. We have the same misgivings about RT. Their technology is just so darn enticing!
But at this point we are also leaning towards PW. I do like the layout better, I do like the Multiplex wiring and definitely the finish. We like the RT exterior look and of course the technology, but I think at this point just too many people having problems and some are fairly recent models so they still don't have a handle on it IMO.

regards..
Old 03-01-2017, 09:02 PM   #71
Gold Member

Quote:
Hi NorthPotomac

Yes, we have read a lot of your comments in the forums along with others. We have the same misgivings about RT. Their technology is just so darn enticing!
But at this point we are also leaning towards PW. I do like the layout better, I do like the Multiplex wiring and definitely the finish. We like the RT exterior look and of course the technology, but I think at this point just too many people having problems and some are fairly recent models so they still don't have a handle on it IMO.

regards..
Well, Lucy, if you do get an Ascent, let us know! My brother-in-law lives in Kelowna, BC and we plan to drive there to visit him in 2018. Will stop by and say hello!
Old 03-01-2017, 09:26 PM   #72

Wow that is awesome.. we are in Peachland, not far from Kelowna, just down the lake. Right now we are about 80% leaning to the Ascent. Still doing our due diligence.

regards..
Old 03-01-2017, 09:51 PM   #73
Silver Member

Just visited my local dealer here in Albuquerque, NM, and saw two just off the truck, 2017 Pleasure Ways. Plateau TS, and The Ascent. Both great RV's. Though the mobility of The Ascent is a huge plus, somehow the TS resonates a tad more with me. Regardless, I think PW has the right blend of hard and true technology, along with exceptional craftsmanship, which makes the brand an excellent choice IMO.
talktodean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:29 PM   #74
Gold Member

Our baby is ready. Doug Michasiw sent me this pic. She goes on a flatbed in a couple of days and should get to Maryland by the end of next week. We won't pick her up for a couple of weeks after that, but we will surely go up to the dealer's to ogle her!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0321.JPG (103.0 KB, 14 views)