Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2016, 05:42 PM   #1

Default First Time Buyer Seeking Advice

My husband and I have been looking for a Class B RV casually on and off for about 2 years. It's mainly for the two of us and two small dogs, and we plan to use it as a daily car + weekend camper. We are still years away from retiring.

We are close to signing the papers on a 2016 Roadtrek CS Adventurous, but I have a few remaining questions and I am hoping to receive some feedback from the forum members in order to make a sound final decision. Your help would be much appreciated.

1. Price - is it a fair/decent offer?

MSRP is $155,000 which includes underhood generator, Ecotrek 400, solar 270W, Voltstart, interior & exterior color premiums, and misc.

Dealer is offering $131,000 ($24K or 15.5% off) + $8000 for loan point buy down to reach 1.99% - In total, it's $32K off or 21% discount. I have tier 1 credit, and I was quoted 4% by an online loan company. Dealer is saying 4.99% without point buy down.

I don't have to get the best deal in town, but I do want to get a good deal. What are your thoughts on the offer?

2. EcoTrek & Voltrek. Electrical and Battery System reliability
So, one reason we picked this unit was for its ability to run A/C on lithium batteries for about 4 hours (so says our sales person) and Voltstart to continue charging the batteries and run the A/C for longer if needed. This is in rare cases if we have to leave the dogs in the coach while running errands or dining.

After reading blogs and forums, I've become somewhat concerned with this technology in that most people agree it's not a proven technology yet. A Pleasure-Way salesman also told me Roadtrek is knee deep in poo poo because lithium and acid lead batteries shouldn't be installed together and it's a disaster waiting to happen. I take this statement with a grain of salt, but still got me worried.

3. Erwin Hymer Group - Positive or Negative?
Roadtrek was just acquire by EHG. Would this have any negative impact on existing Roadtrek models in regards resale value and future customer & warranty services?

With Roadtrek planning to make EHG's motorhomes in the near future plus more class B's coming to the market from other manufacturers, I am wondering if the prices will become more competitive in the future with more selections of coaches. I am wondering if I should wait....

Thank you
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:25 PM   #2
Platinum Member

The Pleasure-Way salesman just gave you a reason to stay away from him. He is not honest.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:45 PM   #3
Platinum Member

One thing to remember being a resident of Ca, license fees are based on sales price reoccouring every year so low sales price is important. $8k loan point buy down sounds like a gimmick. Dealers do not give you anything. Shop for financing, get pre approved, set 25% off MSRP as bottom line. You may have to wait till fall as this is the beginning of prime time RV sales and the dealers can sell for more profit now.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:50 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I'd be leary of an interest rate buy down. Shop around for your own loan. The discount on the van sounds like as good as you'll get on a Roadtrek. Roadtreks do not sell for 25% off. Neither do Pleasureways. Only Winnebagos have those kind of discounts.

The Ecotrek is a mixed bag of reports. Search on the forum here. There are a few reports of the problems being straightened out - but some have had to have their vans modified and dealer expertise and factory support is spotty. If you are buying a van out of existing inventory, then you have the opportunity to test it out before you sign on the dotted line.

In fact, that is probably the only way I'd buy a RT right now - one out of inventory you can touch and feel. I've found their fit and finish to be inconsistent. Seen enough not to trust them with an order.

It's too early to tell if the Hymer acquisition is good or bad for existing RT customers. I'd tend to be optimistic about it, as Hymer is a good company with high standards. But the future of the RT product line is not assured, nor is how much they'll dedicate to support existing models. If you are truly worried about such things, then I'd suggest you order a model with more traditional tech - the old tried and true systems are pretty much the same as in all RV's and can be serviced anywhere.

Good luck in your decision!
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
One thing to remember being a resident of Ca, license fees are based on sales price reoccouring every year so low sales price is important.

I hadn't included annual license fees in my budget. Thank you for the reminder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I'd be leary of an interest rate buy down. Shop around for your own loan. The discount on the van sounds like as good as you'll get on a Roadtrek. Roadtreks do not sell for 25% off. Neither do Pleasureways. Only Winnebagos have those kind of discounts.

The Ecotrek is a mixed bag of reports. Search on the forum here. There are a few reports of the problems being straightened out - but some have had to have their vans modified and dealer expertise and factory support is spotty. If you are buying a van out of existing inventory, then you have the opportunity to test it out before you sign on the dotted line.

In fact, that is probably the only way I'd buy a RT right now - one out of inventory you can touch and feel. I've found their fit and finish to be inconsistent. Seen enough not to trust them with an order.

It's too early to tell if the Hymer acquisition is good or bad for existing RT customers. I'd tend to be optimistic about it, as Hymer is a good company with high standards. But the future of the RT product line is not assured, nor is how much they'll dedicate to support existing models. If you are truly worried about such things, then I'd suggest you order a model with more traditional tech - the old tried and true systems are pretty much the same as in all RV's and can be serviced anywhere.

Good luck in your decision!

Thank you for you feedback. It's very helpful!
Old 02-25-2016, 02:56 AM   #6
Platinum Member

If you are on Facebook join the Roadtrek Owners Group (open to anyone interested in getting info on Roadtreks from current owners).

There have been rollout issues with the Ecotrek battery modules and the Voltstart system but recent van deliveries seem to indicate that Roadtrek has the issues fixed and the vans are now working as expected with only a few problems being reported.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
If you are on Facebook join the Roadtrek Owners Group (open to anyone interested in getting info on Roadtreks from current owners).

I submitted my request this morning and it hasn't been approved yet. Hopefully it will be by tomorrow.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:02 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Very good, can sometimes take a day or two to get approved depending on how busy the admin is...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:31 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Jessica,my wife and I are in the process of buying a class B also. We put down 22per cent deposit and are financing the rest thru the bank. They offered a15 year at 3.45 per cent with a ballon at six years. I believe you can deduct the interest on your taxes(check with your accountant) so the effective rate is approximately 3 per cent. I did not check around but it seemed a reasonable rate. It is our first time also, so I hope this helps. Jim
Tenbike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:23 PM   #10
Platinum Member

You can take the 2nd home deduction on your Federal (if you aren't already using it) to make the interest deductible.

In some states, you can also do the same thing with your property taxes and get a lower rate.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:36 PM   #11

Thanks Jim and wincrasher. We are at a bank right now! We'll see what we can get!
Old 02-26-2016, 03:18 PM   #12
swo

Seems a lot of people love the underhood generator option. It is one of the reasons i'm stuck in deciding btwn the Travato and ZION. Maintenance and noise being the big issues.
Wonder why Winnebago hasn't jump in with that option on the gas fueled 59"s and maybe free up room for bigger tanks or storage?
swo is offline   Reply With Quote