Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2020, 08:13 PM   #21

Default ribbed pad?

rowiebowie; What is the ribbed pad that you plan to use? Sounds like a good idea.
I have a 100W flexible panel screwed directly to the fiberglass roof with sealer along the leading edge to keep wind from getting underneath and possibly pulling it off. After about 5 years, I haven't had any issues with it directly on the roof, but I like the idea of it not being in direct contact with the roof. It has spent each winter in the Southwest, but spends the rest of the time in a garage, so it hasn't seen year-round exposure or much 90 degree ambient temperature. If that were the case, I would likely opt for rigid panels on a rack for all the reasons others have mentioned. I do however like that they are not visible from the ground and cause no wind turbulence and virtually no weight up high.
Mtsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:13 PM   #22

Default Yes they can work out just fine.

I mounted two 100 watt Renogy flexible panels to an ABS awning on my boat 5 years ago. They have worked out fine. Yes on a hot day I can feel the white ABS panel getting warm underneath. Nothing extraordinary. I did not glue the panels down, but merely bolted them though the islets.

I noticed the new Winnebago Solis attaches a flex panel to their plastic roof.

I would not hesitate to attach them to my RT van. The roof corrugations would help a bit. The steel would also conduct heat away.

The low profile is a big plus IMHO.
markoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:18 PM   #23
Bronze Member

Default SunPower Panels

I mounted 2 Sunpower solar panels to the roof of my 2011 PW Excel. I mounted/placed the panels on top of plastic corrugated to provide an air and drainage gap. I adhered the panels and cable using Eternabond tape. So far so good.
SDDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:12 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDavis View Post
I mounted 2 Sunpower solar panels to the roof of my 2011 PW Excel. I mounted/placed the panels on top of plastic corrugated to provide an air and drainage gap. I adhered the panels and cable using Eternabond tape. So far so good.
Could you provide some pictures of your mounted panel. Thanks.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:12 PM   #25
Silver Member

I want the VHB tape with ETFE faced panels on the Roadtrek's curved roof. I wanted something that fit the form of the roof and didn't overhang and I found the exact size that covered the central portion of the roof. To space I used this multiwall roof panel cut into strips and placed so air will move through them from front to back. I used five on each panel that faced east-west and nine on the panel in front of the fan that faces north-south. The multiwall idea was originally from solar4rvs.com.au, a picture of the spacers is here:

I used double the width shown for the leading edge of the N/S front panel and in between each of the three E/W rear panels, this allowed for two pieces of VHB tape in those critical areas.

I have seen a YT video of someone who used whole sheets of multiwall underneath of the panel, but this idea looked like it would allow more air with crosswinds.

They are still holding strong, which is better than my solution to hold down the wires, the eternabond tape doesn't have enough shear and pull strength by itself, I ended up using the VHB tape under and then eternabond.

Having done this I would recommend staying with a name brand flexible panel, I'm only getting about 25% of the rated power from these panels, even on cold days. I bought the panels purely because they fit, most are too long to fit east-west to maximize the somewhat flat section of roof space.

Next van is going to be a Transit self-build and I plan on using framed panels, I've had much better luck with them, the ones on my old class A produced over 50% in similar conditions.
2006 Roadtrek 210 Versatile, 400W Solar, 320AH LiFePO4. Suspension mods: Front: Moog 81004 coil springs. Rear: SuperSteer Track Bar, AirLift airbags with integrated bump stop, 2" lift blocks, removed overload leafs. All around: Bilsteins, 265-75R16 K02's
Luv2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:21 PM   #26
Platinum Member

I have the PW 09 Lexor TS and have a simple solution 100 watt. It folds up about to about 12x14 inches and maybe 3 4 inches thick. I have a couple of Velcro strips and it stays in place nicely. When I'm ready to drive away, I take it down and throw it in my cabinet. It take about 1 minute to take down or put up. The weather proof controller is velcro under the awning, and wires are neatly run along the gutter and down to the house battery. (3M Wire holding type tabs) That all stays in place, and no issues over 2 years. Many don't like simple, so I guess it's up top the individual. I'll never understand why people make RVing so complicate, and yes JMHO
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:27 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Default Picture of my simple setup

100watt works great
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RV Solar 100watt.jpg (82.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 08-16-2020, 10:31 PM   #28
Platinum Member

actually 11" x 8" x 3" thick. The controller the have stinks, so get a weatherproof if you like this idea. Reply back if you need the link.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZZ8VY2V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/URL]
Old 08-16-2020, 11:04 PM   #29
Bronze Member

Here are a few photos. I was really tight on space and went with 2x 50W hooked in series.
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...s9j7JM7C6DJnpK https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...prXG5Jx4F0u7In
Old 08-17-2020, 12:15 AM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDavis View Post
Here are a few photos. I was really tight on space and went with 2x 50W hooked in series.
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...s9j7JM7C6DJnpK https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...prXG5Jx4F0u7In
I can't get the photos to open.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 12:17 AM   #31
Bronze Member

Me neither.
Jim86301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 12:30 AM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTom View Post
I have the PW 09 Lexor TS and have a simple solution 100 watt. It folds up about to about 12x14 inches and maybe 3 4 inches thick. I have a couple of Velcro strips and it stays in place nicely. When I'm ready to drive away, I take it down and throw it in my cabinet. It take about 1 minute to take down or put up. The weather proof controller is velcro under the awning, and wires are neatly run along the gutter and down to the house battery. (3M Wire holding type tabs) That all stays in place, and no issues over 2 years. Many don't like simple, so I guess it's up top the individual. I'll never understand why people make RVing so complicate, and yes JMHO

I guess complicated is in the eye of the beholder. To us uncomplicated is never having to do anything with the solar except use the power it generates, plus it charges at the trailhead, store, dumpstation, wherever. Don't have to worry about it finding a new owner when we go on a hike away from the campsite or overnight while sleeping. No storage space used. To each their own.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 12:47 AM   #33
Bronze Member

Hope this works
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0951.jpg (208.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0952 (1).jpg (204.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 08-17-2020, 01:13 AM   #34
Platinum Member

I have a 100w rigid and a 100w flexible on the top of a C. One year I added the rigid, the next year I added the flex panel. Both are Renogy. I have gotten up there in the heat of the day and checked them with an infrared thermometer and don't find either hot enough to concern me. Inside, I can detect no heat transfer through the roof from either. Now, I would add that the roof of the C is much better insulated than the roof of our Roadtrek.

I installed the rigid panel drilling into the roof and used DICOR to avoid leaks and to provide additional hold to the rigid mounting hardware. There is an air space under the rigid panel. The flex panel is 3M taped to the roof and the edges are sealed with self leveling DICOR. Neither panel has given me any troubles over the five years I have on the flex and six on the rigid.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 03:16 AM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kab449 View Post
Sprinter Vans already have ribs on the roof for structural integrity. Run a bead of silkaflex on the rib where the flex panel contacts the rib and press the panel lightly into it. My Galleria had one already installed by the factory. I added 2 more for 300 watts which deliver almost 16 amps here in central PA.
Panel mfg?
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 03:25 AM   #36
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I guess complicated is in the eye of the beholder. To us uncomplicated is never having to do anything with the solar except use the power it generates, plus it charges at the trailhead, store, dumpstation, wherever.

All pluses over my solar suitcase, granted.

Don't have to worry about it finding a new owner when we go on a hike away from the campsite or overnight while sleeping.

Mine has a chain with locks that go to my trailer hitch. I've also left it at the campsite chained to a tree. I suppose someone with a bolt cutter could get it, though.

No storage space used.

Also definitely a plus in a B. Wish mine was small enough to fit in back or under storage area.......but it's not.

To each their own.
............best.glenn
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 12:04 PM   #37
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
Panel mfg?
WindyNation 100W 100 Watt 12V Bendable Flexible Thin Lightweight Monocrystalline Solar Panel Battery Charger for RV, Boat, Cabin, Off-Grid https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D6WSYLS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_OfNoFb3N9W4TZ

I’m not sure if the manufacturer installed panel used Silkaflex but it is something very similar if it’s not.
Kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote