Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2022, 04:45 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Floorplan similar to Tellaro?

Hi,

Is there a Class B that has a floorplan similar to the Tellaro but has a higher quality build? (Have heard bad things about Thor quality). I like the open feel and the single sofa that turns into a bed. And rear bath. I also want a robust electrical system (400W solar, and lithium batteries).

Thank you.
Vee
Vee and Zeekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 05:21 PM   #2
Bud
Platinum Member

I too am interested as I can't think of any except custom. You mean the model K, right?

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 07:12 PM   #3
Gold Member

[QUOTE=Vee and Zeekie;142684I like the open feel and the single sofa that turns into a bed. And rear bath. I also want a robust electrical system (400W solar, and lithium batteries).
[/QUOTE]

Coachmen Nova 20RB and Winnebago Travato 20KL would meet that criteria. Jayco/Entegra (also Thor brands) have a different spin on it. Not sure about 400W solar but any of these offer a decent sized lithium battery. These are all essentially copies of the successful Travato 20K layout. There may be others I'm not thinking of.
Old 10-11-2022, 09:22 PM   #4
Platinum Member

What do you consider a robust electrical system in regard to batteries other than lithium batteries you stated and can you get 400w of solar on the roof on a tellero size van?
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 12:19 AM   #5

I have a 2020 Thor Tellaro 20L (Sequence is the same) and have 800 Watts of solar-roof mounted
PhilP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 12:29 AM   #6
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
I too am interested as I can't think of any except custom. You mean the model K, right?

Bud
I think you are referring to the Winnebago Travato 59K or KL. I like that too but the Thor Tellaro only has one bed/sofa and that makes it even more open.
Old 10-12-2022, 12:30 AM   #7
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilP View Post
I have a 2020 Thor Tellaro 20L (Sequence is the same) and have 800 Watts of solar-roof mounted
Did you add more solar than it comes with? Are you happy with the quality of the overall build? I have just heard negative things about Thor quality.
Old 10-12-2022, 12:35 AM   #8
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
What do you consider a robust electrical system in regard to batteries other than lithium batteries you stated and can you get 400w of solar on the roof on a tellero size van?
Another member just replied that he has 800W of solar on his Tellaro. So apparently, there is room.

I want to be able to do the following:

1. Be off grid for 3 days at a time
2. Run a microwave for 10-15 minutes a day
3. Have warm water to wash my face and dishes with.
4. Charge my iPad, iPhone, and MacBook Pro.

There is possibly more I want to be able to do, but that is what comes to mind. Perhaps you can tell me how much electrical is enough? Thank you.
Old 10-12-2022, 12:41 AM   #9

build quality is marginal, but I am extremely critical so I'm pretty certain that I would have issues with most of the larger manufacturer's construction methods. Yes I added the extra solar panels. Unit came with one 200Wt I added the rest. Adding 1 additional panel is easy, adding 2 took some thought, adding the 3rd took a lot of creative work. But it's doable if
you have the time and patience
PhilP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 01:22 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee and Zeekie View Post
I want to be able to do the following:

There is possibly more I want to be able to do, but that is what comes to mind. Perhaps you can tell me how much electrical is enough? Thank you.
For reference, we can go off-grid for 2-5 days depending on sun/ambient temperatures. We run a microwave, Instant Pot, and induction cooktop. We heat water for showers. 45qt chest fridge (33°) plus 22qt freezer (0°). We charge all those gadgets, plus run a Maxx-Air fan and Webasto heater. 300W solar plus B2B charging, 300Ah LiFePO4.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 05:27 AM   #11
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInWoods View Post
Coachmen Nova 20RB and Winnebago Travato 20KL would meet that criteria. Jayco/Entegra (also Thor brands) have a different spin on it. Not sure about 400W solar but any of these offer a decent sized lithium battery. These are all essentially copies of the successful Travato 20K layout. There may be others I'm not thinking of.
Thanks. I will take a look at those.
Old 10-12-2022, 05:28 AM   #12
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
For reference, we can go off-grid for 2-5 days depending on sun/ambient temperatures. We run a microwave, Instant Pot, and induction cooktop. We heat water for showers. 45qt chest fridge (33°) plus 22qt freezer (0°). We charge all those gadgets, plus run a Maxx-Air fan and Webasto heater. 300W solar plus B2B charging, 300Ah LiFePO4.
Thank you. Good to know.
Old 10-12-2022, 05:29 AM   #13
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilP View Post
build quality is marginal, but I am extremely critical so I'm pretty certain that I would have issues with most of the larger manufacturer's construction methods. Yes I added the extra solar panels. Unit came with one 200Wt I added the rest. Adding 1 additional panel is easy, adding 2 took some thought, adding the 3rd took a lot of creative work. But it's doable if
you have the time and patience
Have you had any experience with Thor customer support? Are they responsive? Non-responsive? Sounds like you are able to do a lot of things yourself.
Old 10-12-2022, 12:25 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I asked because the Tellaro roof is laden with an exhaust fan, AC, antenna and a storage rack. There is not much you can add in solar other than what they give you with a DIY solution and tear stuff out. Msnomer's 300w of solar covers most of her roof except with on exhaust fan. I'd like to see how you can get 800w and air conditioning and exhaust fan on a Tellaro roof. Msnomer's set up is about as good as you can get with unobstructed panels on the roof.

The two 100 amp lithium batteries are in a kitchen counter base extension and I doubt the system is expandable for space considerations along.

I had 460w of solar on an 24 ft. van with AC and exhaust fan and 800ah of lithium batteries and it filled the roof 100%. Now I have a short 20 ft. van, no solar, and 552ah of lithium batteries. Both are all electric, no propane and a second underhood alternator for fast charging. With 800ah of battery I could go a week boondocking and staying in one place. With the 552ah battery I can easily go 3 days (haven't stayed any longer). With the second underhood alternator I can recharge the batteries at a rate of 280 amps per hour. In other words driving to a local store, a trail head, etc. once per day will recharge my batteries for a day's worth than all the solar could provide with optimum conditions. I could idle the engine as an option with half the time than running an Onan generator but I don't do that. Thus, I didn't install solar on my short van. The roof is filled up anyway with AC, fan, antenna, and two skylights. In the winter, solar was not efficient on a flat roof and shaded with rooftop equipment with low sun angles and short days let alone camping with no trees.
Old 10-12-2022, 02:25 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hi,

Is there a Class B that has a floorplan similar to the Tellaro but has a higher quality build? (Have heard bad things about Thor quality). I like the open feel and the single sofa that turns into a bed. And rear bath. I also want a robust electrical system (400W solar, and lithium batteries).

Thank you.
Vee
My first rig, the GWV, was this side sofa/rear bath floor plan, and it is still my favorite set up. That said, it was the only one in 2004, and the only one that I have seen since is the EGHNA Carado Axion which was only 17'9". Of course that model disappeared with the bankruptcy in 2019. No large company makes it now except this Thor.

If you want that floor plan, and are adamant about avoiding all the issues with Thor quality (and their customer service is just as bad), your only option is Sportsmobile, which is the largest of the companies that build per your design preferences. They are very good, but last I heard, they were a year out. Another option might be the smaller Colorado Campers in Loveland, CO. I had them do a basic conversion to my design on a tiny Promaster.

Check out their websites... Both companies build a quality product, but they don't do luxury... which makes sense to me for something you are going to bounce down the road.

Edited to add that if you can afford it, there is Advanced RV, but there is a long wait with them too.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 03:10 PM   #16
Platinum Member

"Msnomer's set up is about as good as you can get with unobstructed panels on the roof."

Not quite. Our 300W system dates from 2016. Folks now are getting 4-450W on a 136” PM with fan.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 05:08 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Great West Vans was probably the best company under the original owner who retired at the time 15 years ago. It quickly went out of business with the new ownership.

Advanced RV is the most innovative company with rock solid development and quality that can give you whatever you want but at a price. Most can't or want to afford them. I pushed the envelop with them with a totally designed, by me, Class B and they were able to execute. I knew what I wanted down to the last detail from previous experience it Class Bs and prior knowledge of what they do and are capable of. My new one is controversial in that it has bunk beds like a railroad pullman. My previous Advanced RV I proposed fully articulating beds, a first in a Class B. They have since built several for other customers. They haven't copied my bunk bed design.

If you want a back bathroom you have to understand that it can't have a typical water flush toilet because it is behind to back axle. That is why you get a cassette toilet or composting toilet. I have a 40 gallon water tank and 25 gallon black tank and 26 gallon grey but they are forward of the axle where there is room to put those sizes so I had an upflow (macerating) toilet installed so pumped water up over the back axle. Those kind of toilets are popular with boats having toilets below deck.

I could have put in 828ah of lithium batteries under the bed but opted for 552ah from experience and camping habits so I could get two drawers in under the bed. I would have been comfortable with about 400ah but then I would have wasted space under the bed. ARV offers three different battery systems. They are all electric designs. I don't think they have built a Class B with an Onan generator.

I haven't looked at Sportsmobile for few years so haven't kept up to date with them. They have a modular system the last I looked but with that modularity they could have given you just about any plan layout you desired as long as their system could accommodate it. That is how they keep the cost down.

George Mauro with his HumbleRoad company will work with you to execute your plan. He works with cardboard mockups for planning and uses 80/20 aluminum cabinet construction. Since he works with limited staff of space, I think his lead time is somewhat long as any custom builder.

There are other small companies but I haven't explored their capabilities.

Then there is the DIY, Do It Yourself, if you have the skills and knowledge.

Most all mass producers, Thor, LTV, Roadtrek, etc. who have a dealer network are pretty rigid in what they offer with few modifications. So, I don't know of any plan like the Tellaro back toilet with the sofa pull out bed on one side wall.
Old 10-12-2022, 07:26 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:

What you are asking for is not out of line. It's how you get there

With older model with propane to do heavy lifting, this would be common to older "low tech" models

1. 5~7 days, limitation is generally water not energy*

2. nope unless I fire up the generator ( never used it camping)

3. lp gas, hot water as much as you want. gas furnace too

4. yes

* everything is planned around a 7 day trip to town interval, laundry, water, tank dumps, food carried etc.

** I do have a small fold up solar briefcase. I park in the shade, the panel is out in the sun

I wouldn't consider a fold out sofa model, the "tetris of cushions" to make a bed quickly showed to be an issue when we were shopping. So many owner then end up buying mattress toppers or etc seeking to remedy a foundational problem

good luck in your search
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 10:04 PM   #19
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
My first rig, the GWV, was this side sofa/rear bath floor plan, and it is still my favorite set up. That said, it was the only one in 2004, and the only one that I have seen since is the EGHNA Carado Axion which was only 17'9". Of course that model disappeared with the bankruptcy in 2019. No large company makes it now except this Thor.

If you want that floor plan, and are adamant about avoiding all the issues with Thor quality (and their customer service is just as bad), your only option is Sportsmobile, which is the largest of the companies that build per your design preferences. They are very good, but last I heard, they were a year out. Another option might be the smaller Colorado Campers in Loveland, CO. I had them do a basic conversion to my design on a tiny Promaster.

Check out their websites... Both companies build a quality product, but they don't do luxury... which makes sense to me for something you are going to bounce down the road.

Edited to add that if you can afford it, there is Advanced RV, but there is a long wait with them too.
Thank you. I will look. I have seen Carado Axions pop up on RVTrader now and then. I wonder if buying one would essentially mean zero customer service if needed.
Old 10-12-2022, 10:08 PM   #20
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
What you are asking for is not out of line. It's how you get there

I wouldn't consider a fold out sofa model, the "tetris of cushions" to make a bed quickly showed to be an issue when we were shopping. So many owner then end up buying mattress toppers or etc seeking to remedy a foundational problem

good luck in your search
I don't see a 'tetris of cushions' on the Tellaro I spoke of. It just seems to have back cushions. I am small enough that removing those would give me plenty of sleeping room.

Thanks for the other info too.