Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2018, 05:29 PM   #1
Silver Member

Question Ford BUILD&PRICE restrictions / GVWR / swivel / PATS / alternator / seats / etc

Ford BUILD&PRICE restrictions / GVWR / swivel / PATS / alternator / seats / etc.

Hi all

When I custom configure and order our Transit - is it best that I keep the GVWR UNDER 10,000 to avoid certain road, etc restrictions?
I can set it to 9,950 GVWR?

Do I want to bother getting PATS for $75? Passive anti theft immobilizer.

Do I want to get the heavy duty alternator?

I like the long arm side mirrors… is it worth the extra $ to get Turn Signals on them? (I live in busy So Cal traffic)

If I want to add a driver seat swivel after we get the van, specifically what seat do we need to get? Power? Manual? Do i need the push down manual parking brake?

What does it mean when I add cloth manual seats, it then says “less side airbags, less safety canopy side curtain air bags” … does that mean i DO NOT get those airbags if I pick that seat?

Why in this day and age do they charge $325 for cruise control? Ug.

and… Whenever i can convince my wife for us to get a new Transit and have an up fitter build out the interior…. we’ll custom order a Transit 22’ high roof, with dual sliders, and just what we want, and nothing we don’t want….

so we will order it from the factory. No question

My question is - when go on Ford BUILD&PRICE webpage, often when i go to add an option, it insists that I remove another option… often with parameters that don’t make any sense as to why getting one thing means removing another.

Along the lines of, for example - I had an AGM battery selected from Ford factory build, then wanted to add the manual parking brake, and it insisted on removing the AGM. Stuff like that. Or even more obscure parameters.

If we order from Ford, directly… are we tied to *exactly* what the Ford BUILD&PRICE website offers?

or is there more ‘wiggle room’ with what you can get when custom ordering from the factory?

also…

what are some of the DON’T FORGET TO GET THIS options in terms of extra stuff from the factory?

thanks.

john
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:17 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Our converted Transit weighs in at just under 9,000 pounds. The GVWR is 10,360 and the GCWR is 11,200 so even though we have a "5,000 pound" factory hitch, we can only tow about 2,200 pounds. Something to keep in mind.

TPMS is required on all passenger vehicles under 10,000 pounds and does not come on the Transits that weight more than that. Something else to consider.

If you get the XLT trim, I believe you will get cruise control as well as extra insulation around the cab area and perhaps other things that would cost more if purchased separately.