Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2021, 04:34 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Fresh water tanks in RT 170

My 1999 Roadtrek 170 has two fresh water tanks connected together by a pair of clear plastic hoses. Only one of the tanks has a low point drain. In order to completely drain the fresh water for winterizing I need to: 1. open up the low point drain, 2. disconnect the intake hose that goes up to the pump to drain it, and 3. disconnect the two hoses to drain them.

Does anyone have anything like this in their rig? I would like to consolidate all of these hoses to a single drain, with a valve I can turn by hand. Any thoughts on how best to accomplish this?
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 05:47 PM   #2
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-NY View Post
My 1999 Roadtrek 170 has two fresh water tanks connected together by a pair of clear plastic hoses. Only one of the tanks has a low point drain. In order to completely drain the fresh water for winterizing I need to: 1. open up the low point drain, 2. disconnect the intake hose that goes up to the pump to drain it, and 3. disconnect the two hoses to drain them.

Does anyone have anything like this in their rig? I would like to consolidate all of these hoses to a single drain, with a valve I can turn by hand. Any thoughts on how best to accomplish this?
This is out of your manual?
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 06:00 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
This is out of your manual?
No. I would guess that the manual says that you should put RV antifreeze into the tanks, which would be much easier, but I do not like to put antifreeze into the fresh water tanks. I installed a bypass valve by the water pump for the antifreeze, and I drain the tanks.
Old 11-03-2021, 05:10 AM   #4
Platinum Member

My 2003 requires running the pump from the inside tank to run the water into the sink which then fills the gray water tank which is then drained.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:15 PM   #5
Site Team

Just blow it out and be done with it.

BTW: Don't be too paranoid about the tanks--as long as they are mostly empty they will be fine. Plenty of room for expansion.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:36 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Don't be too paranoid about the tanks--as long as they are mostly empty they will be fine. Plenty of room for expansion.
The problem is not the tanks so much as the fittings: the screw-on cap for the low-point drain, the fitting for the hose to the filter and pump, and the hoses between the two tanks. If not completely drained water pools in these areas and a freeze will damage them.