Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2020, 06:50 PM   #1

Default Front hitch...

We own a 2000 LTV Discovery 2A with the Dodge Ram 3500 engine.
I am interested in communicating with anyone who has installed a hitch on the front of their RV.
We are looking to carry two bikes on the front and a scooter on the back.
Cheers,
OC
Optimistic Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 04:06 PM   #2
JML
Bronze Member

I recommend you check out etrailer.com. They have great products and service - they also respond to questions in a helpful manner.
JML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 04:13 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Don't forget, you do not want to block any airflow the the radiator!
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 04:36 PM   #4

Default Front hitch

Folks,

I had a very reputable Hitch company here in Colorado install a hitch to the front of my 2006 Pleasureway Plateau. I use it to carry my two bikes on the front.
Works very well and leaves the rear hitch for my Stowaway gear box or towing my 4x4.

I always am aware of the temperature gauge on the dash for the engine temperature readout. No issues so far.......i say go for it. It adds about 155lbs of weight to the front including the bike rack.

George
2006 Plateau
gjconnolly92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 05:08 PM   #5
JML
Bronze Member

Default 2013 Pleasureway Excel with Hitch Front Bike Rack

No problem with airflow and it is a nice counterbalance to the rear weight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4652.jpg (370.4 KB, 25 views)
JML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:46 PM   #6
Bronze Member

I bought mine from etrailer.com. I use it for a front storage box when I need the extra space for a specfic trips each year. I made the box from a cross bed pickup box and have the mounting tube mounts inside the box to lower the whole box another 2-3" so I don't have an airflow problem.

It is also great for pushing trailers into tight spots if your a marginal trailer backer like I am.
JebTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 01:49 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Chris, I can't comment on your specific application but for over 20 years we carried our two mountain bikes first on the front of a Safari Minivan, then on a GMC 1500 truck, and finally on a 2500HD diesel GMC truck.

Worked fine on all vehicles. On the GMC 2500HD it was a bit more of a pain as the front mounted hitch receiver was positioned right where the license plate should be soI had to make a bracket to mount the licence plate when the bike rack was on.

A well, because the receiver was so high, the bikes stuck way up above the hood line so I had to modify the bike rack to suit - I have welding stuff so easily sorted out.

I like to "just" be able to see the handle bars and seats over the hood line so I know all is well.

Honestly I preferred having them up front rather than on the back so I could keep an eye on them and if anyone ran over them, it would be me!.

Several people cautioned me about legality, as I suppose if an officer really wanted to be picky it could be said that you are obstructing the head lights in contradiction to traffic codes.

Never had an issue in 20 years though, and many many times had police cars driving along side me and in front on the interstates!

I would have to admit there was a very slight reduction in headlight effectiveness but it was a rare thing for us to be towing the RV at night, so not a problem - it really would not have been anyway.

Now we have a class B instead of truck and trailer, I did think about putting a front hitch on the MB for bikes, but apart from the cost of the hitch, it seemed quite a project to install it on the MB van - all the front grille assemble had to be removed then put back.

Instead, I bought a Wilco off road "Hitch swing" (swings sideways) for the rear hitch that allows us to access the back doors easily. Bikes and a cargo box are carried together back there and within load limits/ distances.

Only light but bulky things go in the box, and in fact, my wife has given up with the bike now, so we only take mine along!

Good luck - I'm sure it will work out fine for you.

Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 03:26 AM   #8
Platinum Member

A friend custom-made ours...https://flic.kr/p/saSotQ

https://flic.kr/p/Ea6N9a
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
front hitch