Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2022, 08:28 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Front Jack Point

Where is a safe lifting point in the event of a flat front tire? Looking at the Chevy Owners Manual for my 2002 it appears the correct location on the frame is inaccessible due to the storage bin. Getting ready for a road trip and want to make certain I have a safe place for my bottle jack.

www.roadtrek190.com
Kurt Franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 10:31 PM   #2
Gold Member

this is a bump

www.roadtrek190.com
Old 06-06-2022, 11:35 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Franz View Post
Where is a safe lifting point in the event of a flat front tire? Looking at the Chevy Owners Manual for my 2002 it appears the correct location on the frame is inaccessible due to the storage bin. Getting ready for a road trip and want to make certain I have a safe place for my bottle jack.

On the latest version of the Express van which started in the 2002/3 they removed the front subframe jack point in the middle of the front crossmember. It would depend on which version you have whether or not you could jack there I think. Our 07 you can't because the cutout a big opening in the middle of the crossmember which weakens it. If you have a 5.7 engine and not a 6.0 then you likely have the stronger crossmember as it would be an older style chassis which is probably OK. If that is the case, look at the manual for a 2000 model and see if the center front jack point in shown, as I think it will be. With that point there, a floor jack will pick up the entire front end. I do lift on the crossmember but use two floorjacks, one on each end of it where it is stronger.

If you just need to change a tire, you lift one wheel by lifting on the lower control arm at the balljoint and under the spring area.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 01:45 PM   #4
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
On the latest version of the Express van which started in the 2002/3 they removed the front subframe jack point in the middle of the front crossmember. It would depend on which version you have whether or not you could jack there I think. Our 07 you can't because the cutout a big opening in the middle of the crossmember which weakens it. If you have a 5.7 engine and not a 6.0 then you likely have the stronger crossmember as it would be an older style chassis which is probably OK. If that is the case, look at the manual for a 2000 model and see if the center front jack point in shown, as I think it will be. With that point there, a floor jack will pick up the entire front end. I do lift on the crossmember but use two floorjacks, one on each end of it where it is stronger.

If you just need to change a tire, you lift one wheel by lifting on the lower control arm at the balljoint and under the spring area.
Thanks - that is what I needed to know - where to jack when changing a flat tire using my bottle jack. Do not want to make a mistake with such a heavy laden van.

www.roadtrek190.com