Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Frugal TV/Internet access @ home and on the road 4 Canadians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallibagger
Hi Mike,
Back to the guy who has the Bell Wireless Internet:

I saw his roaming charges bill from Bell - it was $655! Plus he had to pay about $88 for his monthly charges!

He called Bell and asked them to suspend his service until he got back in the Spring and they refused!

He then called them back and asked them to cancel the contract and they agreed after they the receive the $400 cancellation charge.

Bell really took advantage of this guy, he explained what he wanted to do and they sold him the program - no mention of roaming charges. The guy is 87, Bell really took advantage of this guy. Does Canada had a Senior Abuse commission?

Stay away from Bell!
Hi Deryck,
I mentioned my sister had a problem with Bell wireless internet. Well, she's back on now. She said she explained to them she didn't realize that there wasn't an unlimited amount of data transfer, and there was a charge for additional MBs over the base amount allowed, in the fine print. I guess they wanted to keep her as a client, so they only charged her $100 for the 2 months (1/5 her $500 charge she originally got), and reinstated her service. She now has to watch their MB usage to avoid any further hassles.
So maybe there's hope for your friend with the big bill from them. Has he tried to contact them and work something out?
Like I said, sometimes they'll give in to save a customer relationship.

Mike.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:37 PM   #22
Platinum Member

I explained my internet access in the Free WiFi at BP Gas Stations thread. I plan to use the iPhone on the road and laptop at campgrounds when available. Canadians can buy iPhones right? I suspect your phone roaming charges may be expensive no matter what phone you use but data access of the internet with the iPhone via 3G and WiFi should be unlimited and free beyond your monthly data charge ($30 in the USA). As I explained, I feel I have a 365 day per solution at home and on the road. Paying more for air cards would not be much benefit that I can see when intermittently on the road with so much free WiFi available. If I were full timing in an RV things would be much different.

As for TV, more and more campgrounds have cable hookups. I think over the air is going to get better with digital broadcast. At least that is what I am experiencing at home. We don't watch much TV on the road so is not a priority. We've managed to get TV reception in a lot of places, even in Shenandoah National Park. Again, that would change if full timing.

On edit. I would not consider a combined home/on the road solution. There are too many cheaper ways to get internet access for a computer in the home than on the road. I use the iPhone at home when away from the computer. For instance last week I was at a Barnes & Noble browsing books and checking their reviews on the internet with Amazon.com.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:40 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Hi, just realized you'd added your wifi access options here. Yes we have iPhones up here on the Rogers wireless network.
So, they're a monopoly and the rates they charge are robbery. Unless you're self-employed or your company pays for you
to have one, I don't think many have them, at least I've not seen many.
So your iPhone has a built in wifi scanner antenna which doesn't need the ISP network to access the web?
Our laptop (like most) has a wifi antenna which we use to use free internet off wireless access points where ever we can.
The iPhone does this as well? Or do you use your ISP's network when you're on the road for access? As
I said on the other thread (BP Gas.....) the problem for Canadians is the rates go through the roof when
we cross the border. What would your monthly bill be if you did all the things you've mentioned in Northern
Ontario? You do have a great 365 day solution at home and on the road, as long as you don't cross the border
into Canada or Mexico, I suspect. I wish I could get the same when I enter the US, and that's what this thread is all about.
I hope the free internet thing becomes more widespread down in the US too. It would solve both problems
in the sense that I could then get the daily financial info I need off the internet. All I'd have to worry about would be
network/laptop/firewall security then. I could live with that solution. I wouldn't need the broad TV channel access.
Maybe the final answer is the one you've espoused on both threads - forget TV/Internet and just enjoy the
peace and quiet of nature?

Anyway, we're up to -9C and I'm off out to do the shopping.
Thanks for your input on this stuff, it does help.
Mike.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #24
Platinum Member

You do not need to pay an ISP to get WiFi on the road. You only need a phone or computer that is WiFi capable which the iPhone is. You can sign-up for free e-mail addresses to get e-mail on the road through the internet browser such as Google G-mail, Microsoft Hotmail, AOL mail, etc. I still use my local ISP same as home and Apple's MobileMe but read and send e-mail from the computer internet browser or iPhone while on the road. AT&T has the monopoly on the iPhone in the US but rates are comparable to other phone solutions. The unlimited data portion of the bill is $30 per month but I am using it 365 days per year whether on the road or not. As I have explained before, my needs are a lot less on the road than the intensive playing I do on the internet at home. For one thing I have much less time and desire for the internet while on the road.

BTW, you can get WiFi internet access through an Apple iPod Touch without paying anyone a service plan wherever it is free. You cannot get on the internet with 3G or Edge technology as the iPhone does.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:43 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Oooops, sorry just posted to the BP thread before reading this one. I understand I don't need an ISP for
free wifi on the road. I can access (when I find a free wifi hotspot) my home email through the internet
using my laptop and it's free wifi connectivity (similar to the IPod Touch?) when on the road.
My home ISP has made that possible by allowing a web based email option.
So when all is said and done, I'm probably going to continue using my laptop and searching for free wifi on the road.

The next time I'm in the States, I'll check out some of the handheld options you've suggested. There
may be some combination of hardware and plans available to Canadian travellers. If I go IPhone (AT&T),
I may be able to make it cheaper down there by getting them to allow me to use their SIM card/Edge/3G
as a prepaid service for times when I'm down there, if the price is right. If prepaid isn't an option, it all falls apart.
I may then be able to get a regular service plan with Rogers up here using their SIM card, and then drop
a prepaid cell phone, and home internet access, again if the price were right. I think we have
unlimited monthly usage plans up here. I just had a look at Rogers and it looks like they have a plan.
Further investigation is required.

Mike.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:39 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Wireless data plans for laptops are getting better in Canada. I looked at Rogers today.

http://your.rogers.com/business/wireles ... n=flexrate

The $6 & $3 per mb U.S. data rate options are encouraging.

USB stick:

markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:55 PM   #27
Platinum Member

What do you suppose the "monthly price" is for the stick?
I pay around $35/mo for cable internet with a monthly limit of around 10Gb.
It' s shocking how much you pay for 1 Gb of their wireless mobile. I guess if you
used the stick only when traveling, you might be able to keep a handle on
the cost. But I use over 5Gb on average each month at home, so to switch to it on a
full time basis would at least double my monthly internet bill. More likely triple.
Add the cost of the stick for part time usage, and it gets pricey again.
Still it's sort of a step in the right direction. I'd be willing to accept much slower
data transfer rates during "prime time" if it reduced the price. Wonder if they'll
try that as an offering? A low speed package of wireless mobile, possibly improving
during the overnight hours for 1/10 the price? Might work for a some people.