Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2021, 05:08 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Fuel pump replacement for 2008 Chev 3500

I have a 2008 Chevrolet chassis 3500 Roadtrek with a 6.0L engine. It is equipped with a generator fed by a fuel tank pickup. Looking forward to the time I might have to replace the pump, I am looking for the OEM Part number for the fuel pump with the auxillary feed for the generator. Without that part number I could be stuck in a small town where that sub-model of the fuel pump is not readibly available without the specific part number. None of the usual online suppliers seem to list the pump with the aux feed for the gennie. RT has 167K miles on it now so I could face that problem at any time!
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:07 PM   #2
Platinum Member

It doesn’t have an auxiliary feed for the generator. It has the fuel pump GM shipped it with. The generator feed is part of the tank modified by Roadtrek (assuming the 2008 is the same as 2003.)

There are still issues getting the correct pump so your best bet would be to go to a Chevy dealer and order it with the VIN number.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 09:19 PM   #3
Platinum Member

the changes in "part number" and fitment are often associated with a change in the plug connector

many aftermarket pumps ship with the "new plug" and a pigtail to adapt to older

On my pickup it was 8 bolts and 4 electrical connection to loosen the bed, which I slid back. $175 and 4 hours by myself.

unfortunately on a van, the fuel tank needs to be dropped for this job

good PM is try to never run under 1/4 tank. the fuel acts as a coolant for the pump motor. cooler is better

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:17 PM   #4
Platinum Member

If that is indeed the case I heave a sigh of relief, but I have always heard that it is part of the pump. Any further confirmation would be appreciated.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:58 AM   #5
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
If that is indeed the case I heave a sigh of relief, but I have always heard that it is part of the pump. Any further confirmation would be appreciated.
The genny has a separate fuel pump the tank pump you can get at any parts store.
robert g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:56 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Put some effort into following the generator fuel line. I think you will find it doesn’t go anywhere near the fuel pump. Roadtrek told me that and Campskunk told me that. Getting the correct fuel pump is still an issue. Campskunk was sent the wrong one but since he had the old one out to look at he knew it. You are trying to buy a spare.

Maybe you should just go ahead and replace it. When I ordered one through the VIN number it took a week for it to come in. I compared it to Campskunk’s pictures and was good to go. He had a 2003 as do I. I have yet to replace it. Who knows how that compares to a 2008.

Next time your fuel level is low your best option would be to drop the tank and have the old one to compare to when the new one comes in. Ordering through the Chevy dealer is about $500, aftermarket is around $300.

To do this repair on the road you could be looking at two weeks down to get the correct part plus a tow bill. You are correct to be concerned about it.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:02 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert g View Post
The genny has a separate fuel pump the tank pump you can get at any parts store.
Those fuel pumps that have a generator supply line do not pump generator fuel. It is just a fuel tube that drops down into the tank. My Ford E-450 has that. The fact that the generator has a pump means nothing.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:17 AM   #8
Platinum Member

I understand that. It is my understanding that the pump assembly has a generator pickup but that it is not connected to the fuel pump itself, but rather is just a straw that sucks fuel from the tank. My issue is if the straw is part of the tank or part of the fuel pump assembly. It obviously does not come from from the fuel pump itself since the engine does not need to be running to run the Genny.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:27 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
I understand that. It is my understanding that the pump assembly has a generator pickup but that it is not connected to the fuel pump itself, but rather is just a straw that sucks fuel from the tank. My issue is if the straw is part of the tank or part of the fuel pump assembly. It obviously does not come from from the fuel pump itself since the engine does not need to be running to run the Genny.
The Roadtrek Express fuel pump does not have that straw which is why you can’t find one in the parts book.

Rock Auto seem to have it for $50-100. Looking at the RockAuto choices some have slip fittings and some have threaded fittings. My memory says that was Campskunk’s problem. You need to order the correct one and neither of us knows which one that is. I believe mine is the slip fitting one but I haven’t opened the box in many a year and I have never dropped the tank.
Old 05-10-2021, 05:00 PM   #10
Platinum Member

a fuel pump will more likely fail over time, rather than suddenly

for our modern vehicles the indicator might be pinging on acceleration or hard throttle, loss of pulling power at hard throttle, yet "normal operation" at part throttle

the ecm may show a code for lean operation, BOTH cylinder banks

a fuel pressure gauge is easily attached to the fuel rail to measure

it's not anything I worry about

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 04:40 PM   #11

I have a 2005 RT 190 Versatile on a Chevy 3500 chassis (which is actually 2004 model year). without going through the saga, I strongly suggest you buy from Chevrolet and make sure the part complies with this Service Bulletin:
GM Service Bulletin: #05-06-04-046A: "Crank and No Start, Reduced Power, Intermittent Hesitation, Hesitates in High Altitude/High ambient temperatures (Replace with NEWLY Designed Fuel Pump Module without Fuel Level Sensor) - (Aug14, 2006)".

After market versions of the fuel pump may not comply. If it doesn't you will get a new problem described in this bulletin.
Grif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 05:00 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
a fuel pump will more likely fail over time, rather than suddenly

for our modern vehicles the indicator might be pinging on acceleration or hard throttle, loss of pulling power at hard throttle, yet "normal operation" at part throttle
Ha ha I guess your Chevy 3500 fuel pump has never failed. With less than 20,000 miles our first pump failed over a couple of hours. So I suppose that's in line with "over time," although in New Mexico it meant steadily decreasing power lasting just long enough to coast into a Chevy dealer in Albuquerque 10 minutes before closing after an hour of going 15 mph on the freeway shoulder.

The replacement failed at around 100k miles. One second the van was fine, the next it was coasting on the freeway with no power steering and decelerating quickly amidst angry drivers not letting me move to the shoulder. I had the presence of mind not to brake until the van reached a good place to stop.
rtbill is offline   Reply With Quote