Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2022, 12:28 AM   #1

Default fuel sensor repair

hi, i have a 2003 pleasureway excel rd on a ford e-350 super duty chassis. new to me in june 2021.

i am told it needs a fuel sensor replacement, and that the gas tank needs to be dropped to enable this repair. was told because this chassis is on a rv it is a big problem dropping the fuel tank as many other things in the way, such as black/grey tanks, etc...and told over a 2000$ repair.

before i believe them, i am trying to find out if any other owners of this class b have any experience with this issue?

thanks
suep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 01:17 AM   #2
Platinum Member

What problem are you having? Are you talking about a problem with the fuel gauge sending unit to measure the fuel level?
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 01:38 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Check it out yourself. Crawl under and look at the fuel tank. I very much doubt that there is anything beneath it and the ground.

I have a Ford E-450 chassis with black and grey tanks. The fuel tank is held up by four bolts. I can replace the four bolts by threaded rods with nuts and lower the tank myself. It also has a drain plug to get the last gallon out.

Take it somewhere else and see if the story is the same.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 01:26 PM   #4

jrobe. on road one day i knew i had 1/2 tank of fuel, gas gauge needle verified it. sometime later i look at gas gauge needle and it was at full, and also the service engine light was on. (light just on, not blinking)
the needle now goes to full when vehicle is on, and drops to zero when engine is off. i had two places scan for code and each says fuel sensor (but i did not verify exact wording)
the vehicle is still running as normal, gas usage as normal. i use trip meter to make sure i don't run our of gas.
Old 04-13-2022, 01:30 PM   #5

HBN thanks, good idea. since i am 74 i like to be able to trust the mechanic, but i will try and crawl under it. what brand is your vehicle, pleasureway?, roadtrek? ??
Old 04-13-2022, 02:13 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Maybe a ground wire or it's connection point is corroding?
DaveBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 02:29 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suep View Post
HBN thanks, good idea. since i am 74 i like to be able to trust the mechanic, but i will try and crawl under it. what brand is your vehicle, pleasureway?, roadtrek? ??
Lazy Daze class C Ford E-450. Your request for a similar brand owner to respond was good. Hope they do.

Even if you have to drive it up on ramps to get under it, have a look yourself. Changing out a fuel pump which has the level sensor is not a pleasant job, maybe they just didn’t want to do it.

Don’t forget the wheel block.
Old 04-13-2022, 03:08 PM   #8
Platinum Member

It looks like that fuel sending unit part is less than $100 but it definitely requires lowering the fuel tank to replace it which is a pain. I can easily see how this would be at least a $1000 repair with labor even if the fuel tank was totally isolated. On my RV (not a Ford e350), the grey tank is right next to the fuel tank and would make it very difficult to get at the straps holding up the fuel tank without maybe even removing the grey tank first. I don't think this will be a cheap repair and you may have trouble even finding someone willing to mess around with it (thus the $2000 quote). I may be tempted to just continue to live without an accurate fuel gauge. There would be a limit to how much I would spend repairing a 19 year old vehicle.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 07:17 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Perhaps call Pleasure Way and see if they have an opinion about what would be required to drop the fuel tank.
Old 04-13-2022, 10:11 PM   #10

jrobe - yes, i could live with it. this camper is in excellent shape otherwise, inside and out and if i decide to sell it in the future i would definately want to fix this issue first.
Old 04-13-2022, 10:13 PM   #11

hbn - thanks, good idea..i think i will do that.
Old 04-17-2022, 06:49 PM   #12

Default You Tube vids on fuel tank removal

Not sure your set up is even close but these videos can give you an idea of what the work might entail. If I had too I would drop the tank myself but it would take me days, 30 years ago I would have said "no problem, what are we waiting for" and nowadays I look up "how-to" information and discuss with the mech shop to sound them as reliable or not.

Part 1:
Part 2:

Good luck
krgracia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 09:39 PM   #13
Silver Member

I have a 2003 Pleasureway Excel TS, It does have a gray water line that runs under the tank but it has connectors that can be loosened to remove it so the tank can be dropped, without any other obstructions.
leva56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 11:26 AM   #14

leva56. thanks, this was what i was hoping for. someway to get that tank down without cutting into anything. i have an appointment on the 27th for another shop to quote a repair. i am thankful i now have this additional info to see if they are being honest with me. i will update the forum on the outcome.
i am assuming, but maybe i shouldn't, that your vehicle is also a Ford E350 superduty chassis.
Old 04-18-2022, 02:29 PM   #15
Silver Member

Yes, it is the E 350 Super Duty.
leva56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 03:06 PM   #16

UPDATE: took some time but found an rv place that works on mechanical and coach problems. they quoted just under $1000. said really no problem dropping tank, just a nuisance. replacing fuel pump (sensor part of this), fuel filter plus 4 hrs labor. had 3 quotes, all quoted same repair and estimates were $2000+, 1600, and 990. good to shop around especially if senior woman. thanks to all who helped me on this forum.
Old 05-20-2022, 12:09 PM   #17

UPDATE to UPDATE
well in the end..total cost $1200. 4 hr job took 3 days. difficulty getting correct fuel pump. anyway dropping tank was no problem. there are bolts to remove grey/black tank out of the way, but easier to cut pipe and replace. IMPORTANT part is i called Pleasureway customer service in canada, told them the needed repair and they gave instructions on how to do it. If you get stumped on something they are very helpful. thanks again