Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2020, 06:28 PM   #1

Cool Full-time

Single retiree with dog seeking ideas on new or late model class B under $100,000 for full-time home and daily driver. Thinking 20-22 ft. Want flexibility to be unplugged as much as possible, but will spend time in full service campgrounds. Liking what I've seen so far with generator under the hood vs. standalone like Onan. Currently have no preference of gas vs. diesel. Mileage expected to be moderate. Research so far has been a little mind boggling. I do have quite of bit of RV experience, but class B is new to me. Interested in forum input. Thanks!
rcblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:34 PM   #2
Gold Member

Transit based WGO Paseo.2018 was last year new.
mikeehlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 03:41 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum rcblair!

Visit as many rv dealers as you can. Rv shows are also a good way to check out the various models and floor plans to find the one right for you. Most manufacturers now offer upgraded lithium battery systems, but it comes at a price.

You'll probably pay over $100K (but maybe not much if can find a great deal) for a lithium equipped "b" with the under-hood generator.

Good luck.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:41 AM   #4
Platinum Member

How well an RV works for boondocking is pretty much on the owner. How much/little do you use electricity and water. Some sort of solar will be quite helpful for extended stays.

For extended freedom in dry camping decent size tanks are quite important.

I boondock camp a lot as do some other people here. My Roadtrek carries 35 gallons of usable water. I use 150 watts of portable solar and a single lead acid group 29 battery. I'm good for three days with no solar and perpetually with solar but my electrical usage is around 20 AHs/day. I'm good on water for two weeks solo.

Other folks carry 800 AH lithium setups because they are all electric and want the available power. Different folks, different choices, that work for them/us.

How much power you plan to use should be the deciding factor on your electrical setup. Will you need to power the A/C for the puppy dog while away? A large lithium bank can do it but $$$$$. With the right electrical setup the remaining critical issue is water tanks.

The under hood genny is really nice in setups that use a lot of power. If you are one to use a lot, lithium and the underhood would seem to be the way to go, weather permitting. Lithiums will need protection to stay above freezing.

Oh, and stay away from used Roadtrek E trecs unless they have been sorted out. Lots of expensive issues with that system due to poor design.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:30 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Not under $100,000 but these full-timers might inspire you.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 04:40 PM   #6

Take a look at the 2020 Travato 59K. Great unit and feels larger then others inside.
prostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:37 PM   #7

Also the Thor Sequence is new, and I'm kind of excited about it. Listed at $79,000 on most websites.
cfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrank View Post
Also the Thor Sequence is new, and I'm kind of excited about it. Listed at $79,000 on most websites.
Just bought the Sequence 20L and love it!!! Drives great, lots of light, and many great value added extras!!
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:05 PM   #9

I have a 2003 Xplorer Sprinter and have been boondocking the last month in AZ, my first time out. Boy, have I learned a lot!

I only have an itty bitty original solar panel that just gives my battery a trickle, no where near enough to keep my batteries charged for my Norcold 2 way fridge. I was constantly battling running my LP generator then having to monitor the 6 gallon LP tank, I was getting about 4-5 days before needing to look for a place to fill it. I ended up shutting the fridge off and getting a cooler and ice and my stress level has gone way down!

My advice would be to have adequate solar and/or a large enough propane tank (if your generator is LP) to be able to boondock enjoyably. Hopefully new ones are vastly different than what was standard in 2003!

Enjoy the journey!
paminmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:08 PM   #10

Default Sequence

Really great to hear. I'm looking to go full time later this year. Can I ask about what price the dealer came up with? Curious how much negotiating room there is. I'm in Oregon so have the advance of no tax. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:17 PM   #11

$77,500. We bought it New Years Eve and the dealership was eager to close quick. They price matched another local dealer.
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:27 PM   #12
GLA

Default Roadtrek 210 for sale

Hi I just listed my 2017 210 popular on RV trader. If you would like more info email me.
GLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:47 PM   #13

Default Thanks

Good to know. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:10 PM   #14

I’m pretty happy with my Coachmen Crossfit (now Beyond). It matches your specs. I’m not full time, but in our Facebook forum there are some full-timers with dogs. I just got back from a 2 month trip with a lot of boondocking. As long as there is enough sunshine, I don’t need to plug in at all. I have 300 watts of solar and a 330ah AGM battery.
Jfhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:22 PM   #15

I have a 2013 LTV Unity for sale that includes a smart car toed
58,000 miles on RV and 22,000 on car. many extras $85,000.
Marty1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:41 PM   #16
Bronze Member

I have a Roadtrek Popular 190 for sale, but it's not for you ��. Be careful with the weight and, unless 4 wheel drive, the ability to get out of a national forest. I wanted to boondock...there are lots of free federal lands....but almost got stuck twice. We were happy to just plug in after that.
We never used the generator at night but my daughter did and reported that it heated the bed so under hood is a good idea. With a fantastic fan you may not need a generator at all.
tomiverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:07 PM   #17

Marty1234 - I'm interested in learning more about your Unity for sale... is it listed somewhere?
klobben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by klobben View Post
Marty1234 - I'm interested in learning more about your Unity for sale... is it listed somewhere?
My son-in-law listed it on RV Trader.
Marty1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:27 AM   #19

Hi RcBlair,

I too am single, retiring at the end of this year and looking to go out full-time for at least the first year. To gain some experience I purchased a 2000 American Cruiser about a year and a half ago and have been taking short trips since then. What I have found is that a dedicated bed is a priority for me. Jackknife sofa’s and the like are just not comfortable. Also it is not fun to have to make it up every evening and take it apart every morning. As well, I don’t care to have to work my way to the end of the bed in the middle of the night to use the restroom, I would prefer to be able to get out the side. Along the lines of toilet facilities, I have a good size black tank but being one person, I would find a cassette toilet would be more convenient to own and operate. I have good size propane tank for the stove top, hot water and heat but on the new build I think I will do without propane. If it’s too cold I will start the vehicle and move to a warmer climate��, I don’t use a gas stove top. I’m looking at an outfitter that specializes in lithium and Solar that would replace the need for propane and generator . I have a generator but my experience is that at times when I need it, I didn’t want to disturb others around me...so I think a better option would be a good size inverter maybe 3000 watts. I’ve got a 2020 Ford transit on order. Mercedes was a thought for a while but I’m concerned about finding service when I need it.

I hope my thoughts/plans are helpful.

Jim
Jimbo614 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full-time