Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Full-timer insurance

Starting in about 3 months I will hopefully be full timing in my motorhome. I currently have Allstate RV insurance on it... however, I will be wanting real full timer coverage on it when I begin to live in it as my primary residence.

Those of you who have such insurance, who do you carry your policy with?

Progressive actually does an online estimate for a 1978 Xplorer 19ft mini motor home which exactly what I have. Good Sam says to call to get a quote on something that old. At least with Progressive, you can walk in to any Progressive office and get service, even if it's just them calling and doing faxes on claim information. Not so much with GoodSam.

The full coverage, full timer quote I got from Progressive is very reasonable! Only about $62/mo for high coverages, uninsured/underinsured coverage, low $250 deductibles w/ 'Disappearing Deductible" (adds under $2/mo), $2,000 for personal effects replacement, $750 "Emergency Expense", and roadside assistance. But I have no at-fault accidents and a squeaky clean driving record.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Full-timer insurance

What is really important is that you get paid fairly in the case of an accident that destroys or severly damages the vehicle. Your reciepts should help but you really need the coverage written like a stated value policy. Make sure you are also covered for cooking/electrical fires etc.... Also ,it should cover anyone in your campsite area (tripping,slipping,) theft and generally what you would epxpect from home coverage. I can't get rv insurance for my B minus becausel it has no built in restroom or tanks so I had to have Statefarm ( I have progressive on my class A) write a policy at least covering what a I consider a resl world replacement cost. My van is a custom ,one of a kind vehicle that they would not easily find comps for and yours would certainly fall into this category considering your expenses as outlined. Sorry I can't point you right to a provider but on our Bounder as well as our past RVs,Progresive was the best we found.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
Bronze Member

The receipts will be useful indeed. Plus being able to go into a Progressive office, show receipts and explain will be better too than trying to explain it over the phone to a company such as GoodSam. I'd have to mail or fax a stack of receipts and all that crap.

When I put in $6000 as the value of mine when getting the Progressive quote, it complained that it sounded too high but let me continue with the quote anyway, specifying that I'd have to provide proof or whatever that shows why it's worth so much more than ~$1000 it had prefilled (sounds like that would be for a basic B300, no RV conversion!). $6000 is not that unreasonable for a motorhome with so many new parts. If I was trying to claim $25,000 it would obviously be attempted fraud. If they limit it to something like $5,000 then so be it. I'll insure it for as close to the amount of money I have in it as possible.

One of the two accidents I have been in (both not-at fault), the girl was with a company that went by three names on the paperwork I was getting from then.. Dairyland, Viking and Sentry. One sheet says all three names in different places! Her insurance company took 2 or 3 weeks to even send an adjustor too. It was over a month before I got paid.

And that's not something you can do anything about.. you're at the mercy of the other person's insurance company if they cause the wreck and DO insurance, albeit some weird 3-named, out of state cut rate insurance.

The other accident, the woman had State Farm. I went to a different State Farm office than where she had her insurance (she lived out of town nearby and uses that town's agent) and had them do some faxing for me. I think I had my Allstate agent do some faxing as well on another day.. or maybe that was with the first accident. I think it was only a matter of 2-3 weeks before State Farm paid up.

I see you have a Glaval conversion. I had a 1997 Ford E150 with a conventional Glaval conversion (4 captains chairs, converting bench seat/bed, ceiling air vents, pull down blinds, real wood trim, mood lights, floor mounted wooden cabinet with a TV and VHS player, no high top). I inquired with State Farm about RV insurance but they said it had to have at least 2 of the following features to qualify as an RV: bed, stove, plumbing. Since it only had a bed (the convertible rear bench seat) it didn't qualify. Those guidelines make a lot of sense. The old VW camper vans have nothing more than a bed, a fridge and a 2 burner stove but they are very small RVs due to that.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
Bronze Member

I think I may stick with Allstate. An RV policy actually is pretty good with them as far as coverage options:

Comprehensive Coverage
Provides protection for covered damage to your insured motorhome caused by falling objects, fire, theft, vandalism, flood and certain other non-collision losses.
Contents Coverage
Provides coverage for loss or damage to covered property contained in your motorhome when caused by fire or lightning.

http://www.allstate.com/motor-home-insu ... tions.aspx

Seeing has how the van and any contents will be valued under $10,000 total, I feel I'm safe with Allstate. I have been with them since about 2008, when I realized that State Farm was charging twice as much for the same coverage.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:01 PM   #5

Default Looking for motorhome insurance

I have a new Pleasure Way ordered to arrive in May or June. Need to find some insurance for it. I spent part of the day reading all the Horror Stores on line about RV insurance companies. Most of these people had the same company for years. They were going along thinking everything was alright until they had a claim or needed roadside service, they were more than disappointed.
When they would get a quote it would be lower than others. When the next year came around the price hike would be as much as 25%. I won’t name names right now becaue someone might have one ofthese three companies.

I sure would like to hear some comments on your insurance companies and who you are with.

Thanks in advance
Down Sized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:54 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Sized View Post
I have a new Pleasure Way ordered to arrive in May or June. Need to find some insurance for it. I spent part of the day reading all the Horror Stores on line about RV insurance companies. Most of these people had the same company for years. They were going along thinking everything was alright until they had a claim or needed roadside service, they were more than disappointed.
When they would get a quote it would be lower than others. When the next year came around the price hike would be as much as 25%. I won’t name names right now becaue someone might have one ofthese three companies.

I sure would like to hear some comments on your insurance companies and who you are with.

Thanks in advance
I use Garden City Insurance in Missoula MT for full timer insurance. Ours is from Progressive but they use several companies. They specialize in RV insurance.

https://gardencityins.com
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:53 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I'm not living in my RV full-time yet, but I have had State Farm for years on both my cars and my Class B's. I rolled my first Class B (1998 Coach House) a few years ago, and I thought State Farm gave me a pretty good payout. I bought the Coach House 5 years earlier for $17,000. State Farm went by sales prices on 3 similar ones being sold out east to determine what to pay me, and they gave me $15,000! I had expected less due to depreciation. I was able to recover most of my personal property, other than the GPS, and a couple of other things that were stolen after the accident, and State Farm covered the GPS. I don't have RV insurance, btw, just vehicle. State Farm also covered the roof air on my Coach House about 3 years prior to this when a tree branch fell during an ice storm and went clear through the air conditioner.
Pam G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:06 AM   #8
Platinum Member

I don't want to high jack your thread but what would be different when you are a full-timer?
Old 02-12-2019, 12:23 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshimura View Post
I don't want to high jack your thread but what would be different when you are a full-timer?
Some insurance companies simply do not cover full time RVers.

The policy for a full timer needs to include coverage of your possessions which may be covered by your homeowners insurance and not your vehicle insurance in some cases. Progressive allows you to specify the value of your possessions that you carry in your RV and get them covered.

The other issue you can have with RV insurance is for the case where you create an LLC in Montana and have it own the RV (avoids sales tax), insurance coverage can be difficult to find for this case. We considered doing this but did not do it.

In our case, we still have stuff from our house that we put into storage when we sold it and to get reasonable cost insurance coverage we ended up getting renters insurance even though we don’t actually rent an apartment since the storage coverage was less expensive than stand alone storage insurance which also only has low levels of coverage.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote