Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2021, 02:16 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default FYI Bed thoughts

1997 PW. We like having 2 "twin" beds and not expanding to "queen" as we find it workable and less hassle. That said our PW had gotten so that the original bed/seat cushions were sloping toward the middle of the van. Logical since they double as dinette seating. About 2 years ago we replaced the cushions with custom mattresses maintaining the 6" height. I made boards to sit on the benches since the original cushions had 1/2" board at the bottom. It was a definite improvement in comfort.

Covid homebound led me to do some experiments to further improve situation and I tried two routes.

First Froli springs. I ordered 2 "expansion" kits since Froli has 2 different height systems. Very well made. The problem I encountered was that the foot of our beds have overhanging cabinets and even the lowest height Froli left my feet rubbing on the cabinet when I laid on my back or rolled over. Too bad. This problem would have not existed if we had 4" mattresses instead of 6". Returned for full refund. Good company service.

Second Ikea slats. These only raised the mattress 1/2" (the lowest Froli raised it 1-3/8"). These worked. When you order a full or twin slat set it actually comes as two sets of slats connected by webbing (27"@ for full, 30"@ for queen). Easy and fast to install on bed boards using an air stapler. I did one, replaced the mattress and had W test without knowing which was which. She found slats more comfortable.

So that's where we ended. Froli is a good system and the springs are uniform whereas the Ikea bows in the middle. But the middle is where the mass of your body is. Froli costs c.325.00 for a full. Ikea cost 30.00.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 03:26 AM   #2
Platinum Member

We were contemplating Froli but due to additional complexity of incorporating them to Rock&Roll bed we dropped them. Our sofa / bed is in 3 sections. We went to a highly rated local upholstery shop and request comfortable bed and sofa. The owner designed foam layers for each section differently, front one good for sitting and two back ones good for sleeping. We ended up with a very comfortable bed, good for our backs. I also added 2” topper which is easy to deploy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg asd (4 of 4).jpg (663.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg asd (3 of 4).jpg (656.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg asd (1 of 4).jpg (686.8 KB, 16 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote