Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2016, 12:46 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Gasoine quality

The local paper had an article in the business section concerning gasoline quality that was kind of a reminder for us, but may be new for others.

AAA: Not All Gasoline Created Equal | AAA NewsRoom

We usually try to buy Top Tier gas, which is easy at home because we know what stations have it, but tougher when traveling because of needing to be diligent about knowing what stations are up ahead that are on the Top Tier list. Good reminder for us to print a new list for the van.

When we first heard about Top Tier a few years ago, I checked out what it was, and where it came from. Basically more and better detergents in the gas to prevent deposits in the engines. They often talk about the deposits on the valves and pistons, which is a primary problem, but from what I have heard, deposits on and in the fuel injectors can also be an issue. The program grew out of European findings that certain vehicles where having lots of deposit problems.

I know we will hear from lots of folks who always buy the cheapest gas they can find and have not had an issue (that they know of because you can't see it). We know lots of them ourselves. I also know that from the engines I have had apart, and the tons of junk yard heads I have messed with, how much deposits there are is very, very, variable, and can be substantial. We choose to be on the careful side on this one, and my guess is that if you keep the vehicle for a lot miles you probably come out pretty even on cost because you won't lose as much mileage as the vehicles age.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:59 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Link to list of Top Tier approved stations. Surprised that low price Costco is on the list.

Retailers
Old 07-08-2016, 06:42 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Costco generally has 5 x the epa required cleaning additives.

I use 90% gas from costco.

when I opened up my 2001 gmc at 140,000 miles for a fuel pump failure ( common on GM's ) the interior of the tank had almost no dirt/grit in it, no water no nuthin'.

I've been in a few fuel tanks and never seen one that clean.

"names" can be an indicator, but nothing carved in stone- I got bad gas at a chevron in blythe ca which about had my motorcycle die...luckily I had an aftermarket ignition and was able to retard timing enough to get to the next gas ( 50 miles) and siphon/refill

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:38 PM   #4
Platinum Member

It seemed to me that everyone was on the list. Which companies are not? That might be a more useful list.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:47 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
It seemed to me that everyone was on the list. Which companies are not? That might be a more useful list.
The list is much larger than it use to be, for sure, but there are still a lot places that aren't on it. Convenience stores, mom and pop places, Bill's Superette (several locations by us), etc. I think most of the major brands have figured out that it is worth their while to differentiate themselves from the vendors that compete on low end pricing.

For us, the list is most useful when we travel, as there are lots of regional brands on the list, like Holiday and Superamerica here in Mn.

I would think it would be nearly impossible to make a list of who isn't on the list, compared to making one of who is. They know who the have approved, but have no idea about anyone else.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:52 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Gasbuddy has a geographical display of gas station prices. You can also filter out stations that aren't Top Tier. Kill two birds with one stone.
In my neck of the woods, there is no difference in price between Top Tier and non Top Tier, so it's a no-brainer.
William
2000C200P
Sherbrooke, Quebec
WJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:24 AM   #7
Platinum Member

One big one missing on the list is Murphy Oil that provides all the Walmart service stations.

I didn't see Speedway stations and Casey General Stores. Those are big in the Midwest.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:43 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJones View Post
Gasbuddy has a geographical display of gas station prices. You can also filter out stations that aren't Top Tier. Kill two birds with one stone.
In my neck of the woods, there is no difference in price between Top Tier and non Top Tier, so it's a no-brainer.
William
2000C200P
Sherbrooke, Quebec
I just put that on my phone to see what it could do. It shows stations as Top Tier, but there is no filter in the filters list for Top Tier.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:25 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I typically get top-tier gas from BP and Exxon for lower cost than the cheapo non top-tier. I buy gas cards on the internet for 6-10% off. Then I join the gas companies "club". With their club card I typically get an additional 3-10 cents off. I have found BP the best. Exxon is a bit flaky as their Plenti card is not accepted everywhere. I have done Shell but their card can be flaky sometimes too. I could get a benefit by getting a gas company credit card but I have too many credit cards right now. Costco is a great deal too.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote