Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2021, 09:35 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Generator A/C Delayed Start-Up

When I turn on my generator, it starts just fine. If I then immediately turn on my coach A/C unit, the screen will say, "AC Running" but it isn't. After 5-10 minutes, the A/C will start up and run fine. Does the generator need to run for a little bit before it will start up such a heavy electrical user as the A/C? In other words, is this normal behavior?

Also, on my touch screen for the auto-start generator, I see a note, "RVIA lockout-Press Off to Clear". See attachment. What does that mean?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RVIA Lockout.jpg (159.9 KB, 4 views)
theHueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 12:36 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHueg View Post
When I turn on my generator, it starts just fine. If I then immediately turn on my coach A/C unit, the screen will say, "AC Running" but it isn't. After 5-10 minutes, the A/C will start up and run fine. Does the generator need to run for a little bit before it will start up such a heavy electrical user as the A/C? In other words, is this normal behavior?

Also, on my touch screen for the auto-start generator, I see a note, "RVIA lockout-Press Off to Clear". See attachment. What does that mean?
I did a quick Internet search for you "RVIA Lockout":

"I don't know if you have to enable again after hooking into shore power. But if you have AGS enabled and you start your generator for any reason, after shutting the generator off, you will have to enable the AGS again. If you don't it will say "OFF" or "LOCKOUT". This is part of the RVIA safety regs for RV's.

However if you look in the manual under Section 7 in my 2015 DS manual for Magum, it gives you an option to turnoff this lockout feature and then shorepower or generator will not take the "Enable" off. I think is states "if for some reason you not have to be RVIA compliant, you can do this."
Want a B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:36 PM   #3

I can only speak to the delay that my generator has at startup. It takes about 45-60 seconds for the power to come on after generator start up. The owners manual states that the generator should Run for a minimum of two minutes before adding large loads.
bblakersfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 02:04 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblakersfield View Post
I can only speak to the delay that my generator has at startup. It takes about 45-60 seconds for the power to come on after generator start up. The owners manual states that the generator should Run for a minimum of two minutes before adding large loads.
My Power Center delays passing through generator power until at least 2-3 mins. after start up. So, like above only my delay is longer.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote