Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2019, 09:05 PM   #1

Default Generator Boxes

Hi. I'm trying to figure out a generator box for a '97 Roadtrek 170 Popular. I currently have a Honda Handi EU3000i but I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out where to get a generator box and/or how to attach it to the back. I'm a teacher and I have an old enclosed projector cart with ventilation that I'm thinking of trying to have mounted somehow to the back if it fits. Does anyone know the measurement from the right side of the spare tire to the taillight? Right now my van is at an RV shop and I can't get the measurement to see if it would even possibly work without covering up the taillight. I just don't want to spend $600+ for a box if I have one in the garage that could work but then the other problem is mounting. If anyone has mounted a generator in a box to the right of the tire - please let me know - the RV shop can hopefully help too but I don't know. It seems like there are a lot more options for the Honda eu2200i but still not great ones for weather and/or ventilation as a permanent fixture or one that lets you take the generator in and out of the box without locking permanently. Again though - looking for options for the 3000i, not 'is' model. Also thought about selling the Honda and getting the Onan 2800 as that's what I've read is the only onboard one that will fit? But I've also read that those are a lot louder and not nearly as reliable?...so trying to get the Honda a box that will work...something like the attached photo. Thanks for any ideas...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 3.04.17 PM.jpg (77.4 KB, 42 views)
Roadtrek 170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:43 PM   #2

For anyone else looking, I went with a Torklift Lock and Load Model A7752 (they also make a smaller one for smaller Honda eu2200i and comparable models) + a pin lock: https://www.torklift.com/rv/lock-and-load

I almost went with a KSH Marine box that you can take the sides off when running the generator but it didn't have a mount. My RV shop said they could weld it but then I couldn't open the back door AND after thinking about it I may be using the generator on two different vehicles and it would be nice to be able to take it off if needed for super tight parking spaces in a city. KSH quoted $398+shipping & handling (additional $150 for powder coating) for the Honda
Handi eu3000i (Quotes are only valid for 14 days). The link is here: https://kshmarine.com/photo-generator-boxes/ Their phone is Monday-Thursday, 8:00-4:00 at (92680-6610. Super nice people and a very cool product.

For more Sprinter type applications I found this which is amazing but just not in my price range or for my needs: https://www.aluminess.com/accessories/boxes/ Super cool though!!!!

For people with a smaller generator such as the Honda eu2200i you might like these:
https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Plasti...et_feature_div

This one also makes one for the Honda eu3000is but not the Handi 3000i:
LowPro LockDown. Keep what’s yours.

There are more for the 2200 but I lost track since I don't have that model. Anyhow - hope it helps someone else save some time!
Roadtrek 170 is offline   Reply With Quote