Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2021, 04:46 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Generators questionable future.

We can only assume that this trend will spread. Will gasoline/diesel furnaces join this trend as well, time will tell. https://camperreport.com/rv-generators-ban-california/
GeorgeRa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 04:56 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I click away from any "article" based on posing a question

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 05:07 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
We can only assume that this trend will spread. Will gasoline/diesel furnaces join this trend as well, time will tell. https://camperreport.com/rv-generators-ban-california/

No mention of alternate power methods or fuels. Hydrogen fuel cells or powering and engine of some kind, hydrogen peroxide, or who knows what. It will be interesting to see if an alternate power source will be developed that is capable and cost effective enough to work for the masses.

They will have to put in no idling rules also, as everyone will flock to vehicle engine powered electric generation.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 05:44 PM   #4
Silver Member

Wheeeeeeeee!!! That pendulum went way the frig over there, didn't it? I can't even see it any more! Wonder if it will break the speed of sound on the way back through?

If I wanted to swing votes to the anti-change people, I couldn't do better job that to introduce that legislation!

I have to go show this to my landscaping/lawn/grass obsessed neighbor. Tell him he can't baby his lawn, he can't use his tools, and he will turn into a very unpleasant fellow! This will be fun to watch!

Wheeeeeeeee!!!
SteveWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 06:48 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I doubt the gasoline/diesel furnaces are going away soon as it probably is not much of a priority as the standalone generators. Are they proposing the built in Onan generators as part of this?

We have already gone to the under hood second alternator and only use it when we drive and not idle. I doubt those are going away until they ban gasoline/diesel powered vehicles. That's not in my lifetime RVing future as that won't happen that fast if at all. Anyway, one solution. Stop at the Arizona border.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 12:16 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Small gas engines create a huge amount of pollution, both air and noise. They are going away, the only question is how fast. California setting a date after which they can't be sold new will be a huge incentive for the market to develop emission-free replacements. Like all the emission-free replacements, it will be a while before all the legacy stuff has died away.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 01:45 AM   #7
Platinum Member

This is study from cold Finland, certainly use of gas / diesel furnaces in California could be negligible. But annoyed camping neighbors could have voice, especially now as gas powered furnaces are gaining popularity.

“……………….. show that the particulate emissions of auxiliary heaters can be up to a thousand times higher than the particulate emissions of idling gasoline vehicles…………………… “

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0909123913.htm
Old 12-15-2021, 09:21 PM   #8
Platinum Member

This article from RVIA says diesel RV generators are exempt from this new CARB regulation that applies to all spark ignition engines less than 25 horsepower.

https://rvbusiness.com/calif-concede...r-rv-industry/
Old 12-15-2021, 09:58 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
This article from RVIA says diesel RV generators are exempt from this new CARB regulation that applies to all spark ignition engines less than 25 horsepower.

https://rvbusiness.com/calif-concede...r-rv-industry/

Somebody get paid off? Some of the most noisy and stinky generators we have been around were diesel.
Old 12-16-2021, 04:38 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Somebody get paid off? Some of the most noisy and stinky generators we have been around were diesel.
I would call my Eberspacher water and space heaters exactly that "noisy and stinky" especially the hydronic D5 water heater.
Old 12-16-2021, 12:09 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWolf View Post
Wheeeeeeeee!!! That pendulum went way the frig over there, didn't it? I can't even see it any more! Wonder if it will break the speed of sound on the way back through?

If I wanted to swing votes to the anti-change people, I couldn't do better job that to introduce that legislation!

I have to go show this to my landscaping/lawn/grass obsessed neighbor. Tell him he can't baby his lawn, he can't use his tools, and he will turn into a very unpleasant fellow! This will be fun to watch!

Wheeeeeeeee!!!
Just read in Oakland, California. Move to restrict new construction of homes will be built to no longer have natural gas. All new kitchen appliances will be electric with induction cook tops. Also a move to remove existing gas lines to older homes and businesses. Moving them into all electric?
Old 12-16-2021, 01:53 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
Just read in Oakland, California. Move to restrict new construction of homes will be built to no longer have natural gas. All new kitchen appliances will be electric with induction cook tops. Also a move to remove existing gas lines to older homes and businesses. Moving them into all electric?
NYC is banning natural gas in new construction as well. Small steps...
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 02:06 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
NYC is banning natural gas in new construction as well. Small steps...

That is interesting for a colder place like New York City. For the most part they can't use ground source electric heat pumps so only air to air heat pumps. I hope they have looked at the effects on the electric grid, especially when you add in electric vehicle charging. That is a big city to power and heat.
Old 12-16-2021, 04:05 PM   #14
Platinum Member

As an owner of two noisy stinky generators I can’t wait to find a viable alternative.

The bill’s authors state that a popular leaf blower emits more pollution in an hour than a Toyota Camry driving from LA to Denver.

Lithium yard equipment has already closed the gap for small property owners. I see lawn maintenance companies as most problematic.

The bill bans the sale, not use, of small noisy stinky generators and other small of-road engines (SORE). About time.
W9TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 04:32 PM   #15
Platinum Member

I designed, built and owned an all electric only home in 1984. I guess I was a pioneer. I also designed the roof for solar panels but I never put them in. You could only get hydronic solar panels back then. My total electric bill with electric resistant floor heat averaged less than $200/mo. 83% off my triple glazed windows were on my three story south wall so it was primarily solar heated most of the time with thermal mass storage. Without any heat at all I found during construction the home would not go below 40F when it was -20F. Conversely with thermal mass and insulated sandwich panel walls it never went above 88F and that was on a 106F day without air conditioning. Pretty much a zero energy home without solar panels our insulated nighttime shutters that I forewent because there was no payback.
Old 12-16-2021, 04:44 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I designed, built and owned an all electric only home in 1984. I guess I was a pioneer. I also designed the roof for solar panels but I never put them in. You could only get hydronic solar panels back then. My total electric bill with electric resistant floor heat averaged less than $200/mo. 83% off my triple glazed windows were on my three story south wall so it was primarily solar heated most of the time with thermal mass storage. Without any heat at all I found during construction the home would not go below 40F when it was -20F. Conversely with thermal mass and insulated sandwich panel walls it never went above 88F and that was on a 106F day without air conditioning. Pretty much a zero energy home without solar panels our insulated nighttime shutters that I forewent because there was no payback.

How did you prevent solar heat gain in the summer? That is one of the things that many passive solar houses deal with. We used the highly reflective window shades on the material and reflective mini blinds on our windows which are Heat Mirror (R8 center of glass). Surprisingly, the reflective surfaces reflect the sun well enough to not alter the wavelength and it goes right back out through even the 3 low e coatings.
Old 12-16-2021, 06:00 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
How did you prevent solar heat gain in the summer? That is one of the things that many passive solar houses deal with. We used the highly reflective window shades on the material and reflective mini blinds on our windows which are Heat Mirror (R8 center of glass). Surprisingly, the reflective surfaces reflect the sun well enough to not alter the wavelength and it goes right back out through even the 3 low e coatings.
On the house that we built in Welch Township back in the early eighties we set up the eave height and width to block solar in the summer and let the lower angle sun come in in the winter. It worked quite well.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 06:39 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
The home had a central open 3-story core, no attic and openable skylights on the roof. Heat rises as well as the earth heat which is a nearly 55 degrees steady all year long in Minnesota. That and the thermal mass kept the temperatures steady throughout the day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 55 Birch Bluff Rd-6.jpeg (239.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 12-16-2021, 08:05 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
As an owner of two noisy stinky generators I can’t wait to find a viable alternative.

The bill’s authors state that a popular leaf blower emits more pollution in an hour than a Toyota Camry driving from LA to Denver.

Lithium yard equipment has already closed the gap for small property owners. I see lawn maintenance companies as most problematic.

The bill bans the sale, not use, of small noisy stinky generators and other small of-road engines (SORE). About time.
I just upgraded to the new Onan 2800i inverter generator on van. The way we camp. We usually do not do lot of driving except to get there and return home. The generator really helps when needing to run AC. You can get new portable inverter gennys pretty reasonable. Not so much for the onboard Onan. So far we really enjoy the DB reduction.