Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2021, 07:46 PM   #1

Default Getting Serious About Purchasing - Any Advice?

Getting ready to begin the search- Looking for a one or two year old Travato most likely. Generally speaking should I use an agent to help me locate? Challenged by the thought of buying private sight unseen.

Any advice from the experienced would be gratefully appreciated.
Duker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 11:50 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum Duker!

It is a seller's market so that includes several things:

- Low inventory and high prices;

- Resulting in good units going fast;

- All will be asking a high price, but try and find some below top prices;

- Plenty of scams out there and probably more than usual.

It took us two years in the previous market to find the "right for us" class b. It will require similar patience and even more cash to find the right one for you in this market.

The above being said, I don't know of any buying services out there, but maybe legit ones exist. If you think a unit fits your needs and is in your price range, get out and look at it right away because it could go fast. That doesn't mean you should buy it, but at least check it out as soon as possible.

Good luck.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 02:38 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I have never heard of "buyer agents" either. The market is so crazy right now that finding is difficult and you have little time to think about it. I sold my Simplicity in less than a month without advertising at all. People looking at buying tend to join the brand owner's facebook page. Someone came on the page looking, I sent her a PM. Mine was exactly what she was looking for and she flew right in and bought it. She knew that I was a regular poster for a few years on the page and not a scammer.

So... if you are looking for a Travato, I would join their owners page on Facebook. I know that on our RT page, we regularly have members who come on to sell their rigs for various reasons... failing health... oops, we need something bigger... or smaller... financial issues... we're moving overseas... whatever

Most of us love to hate Facebook because of its power to kill the forum concept which is so more efficient for getting technical help with our vans. But that is where the crowd has converged, and other than haunting RV Trader and taking your chances on scammers, it is the best option for finding a used model these days.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 05:02 PM   #4
Platinum Member

The more I think about it, Buyer's agents could be a new scam. Not saying it is, but I can see scammers getting more inventive as buyers get desperate due to short supply and unaffordable prices.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 04:55 PM   #5
Lou
Platinum Member

When we bought a second hand unit the BCAA had a service where they came to the unit and checked it all out . They didn't check things like stove and fridge. Perhaps other automobile clubs offer similar services?
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 06:15 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Here in the US, you might be able to find a good inspector via the NRVIA "Find an inspector" website: https://nrvia.org/locate/

I've not used one of these folks yet, so buyer beware - you'll probably want to assess the inspector's experience and skill level, hopefully via references, before hiring one.

Regarding agents, no. You are your own best agent. Use resources like RV Trader, local dealers, etc. to find RV's in which you're interested, go take a look at them, and if you find one you like, proceed from there.

Oh, and super-important: beware of scams. The demand is so high for Class B RV's that it's prime territory for getting scammed. RVs in transport, RVs they can't show you, RVs priced ridiculously low, and on and on. Make sure you put your hands and eyes on any RV, test drive it, and look it over carefully before you start negotiating prices or handing out money.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:39 PM   #7
Silver Member

I highly recommend going & getting inside a few different styles/layouts somewhere local. I did a lot of research & was dead set on a bed in the back.
When i went to see it in person it felt dark & claustrophobic to me, & i'm a small person.
The dealer happened to have a different model with twin beds that just felt so much bigger (it wasn't, it's the same size), it changed my mind in an instant as it just felt better.
I'm happy i went to check them out even though i was never going to buy new from a dealer.
I do like the Travatos, but the price tag was more than i was willing to pay.
Good Luck with your search
Macodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 03:08 PM   #8

I saw on one car forum that Solis makes great vans, but I like the Travato design better.
Jinocraf35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 03:27 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinocraf35 View Post
I saw on one car forum that Solis makes great vans, but I like the Travato design better.
Both the Solis and the Travato are made by Winnebago. The difference is that the Solis has a pop-top. Winnebago is what I consider middle of the road converter... not the best, but not the worst. Relating to price and quality...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote