Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2016, 04:26 PM   #1

Default Getting the Sprinter van to ride better

I've owned a new 2015 Winnebago ERA for 4 months. I drive conservatively under 60mph. The ride on CA freeways is brutal. My wife can't take a nap in back, especially with all the squeaks and rattles. Our backs hurt a week later. My MBZ dealer lowered the air pressures to 55 psi and filled the tires with nitrogen. It helped a little. Has anyone installed rear air springs, like the 2016 Airstream Interstate? Any other recommendations? Thanks!
eeltinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:29 PM   #2
Platinum Member

We had the VB Air suspension installed on our ARV. It makes a big difference not only in ride but stability.

Dealer list ยป VB-Airsuspension
Old 02-21-2016, 02:37 AM   #3
Bronze Member

We have the Glide-Rite system under our 2010 Sprinter 170 HR std length DIY built RV. It was one of the first things we had installed. Love it. Installed by Upscale Automotive in Tualatin, OR. I'd be happy to answer technical questions via a PM.

Our build: 2010 3500 RV build - Sprinter-Forum
Hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 04:31 AM   #4

Have requested info from VB. Thank you.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:19 PM   #5
Platinum Member

which freeways?

Concrete freeways with expansion joints ( I'm looking at you I-10 Westbound at Redlands) can be rough. or are you having this on asphalt highways, which are generally smoother.

Shocks are meant- from an engineering POV- to keep the tires in contact which the road so that the load is carried and traction maintained.
the specialty houses may be able to help with a softer more comfortable ride.

check that your tires are balanced(!)- you can have someone drive beside you at speed- they will be able to see if you tires are out of balance...they will jitter rapidly.

inflation levels per the manufacturer are to carry the excessive load of the vehicle- soft tires will heat up the sidewall and blow- this can cause a roll. inflate your tires to the PSI on the sticker !!!!!

nitrogen has larger molecules a than "air" ( which is about 80% nitrogen)...nitrogen molecules are slower to migrate through rubber and is less affected by temperature or altitude and your pressure will be more stable. that is all ride quality is not affected at all nitrogen/air

tires? I use the LS2, they are cheap at costco- I have no basis for comparison, that;'s what the previous owners used as well.

squeaks/rattles:
I shopped a 09 and 10 era- the build quality was shockingly poor behind panels and under cushions....rough wood cuts, poor quality materials and blind screws ( those are screws that fail to attached 2 pieces of wood- they miss the wood behind)
I have been told that newer eras are better- but I don;t know.
my 06 PW required about a 1/4 to 1/8 turn of every screw in the coach when we bought it 10/14, but these screws are primarily into maple- this tightened up everything.

if you have "loose stuff" in your new RV, maybe you need to talk to winnibago about that

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:06 PM   #6
Platinum Member

The largest improvement in ride quality I have experienced is when I upgraded the shocks in my van. It's not a new van, and the shocks were old, but the upgraded shocks that were installed improved the ride ten fold.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:21 PM   #7

Good suggestions! Wondering if air shocks are still available as well as air springs for the 3500 Sprinter?

No rattles on smooth asphalt, but numerous on concrete freeways with asphalt expansion joints. Took out all screens, but rattles still persist in sliding door and kitchen cabinets. CA #101 and Interstate-5 are the worst in the truck lane. Love PW, couldn't afford!

Tire pressures: coach sticker 61psi, Winnebago factory 63psi, MBZ Sprinter dealer 55psi. Can't tell difference. I think paying $20.00 per tire to have tires filled with nitro by MBZ, if nothing else, set all tire pressures equally. Will discuss balancing and 6 (?) wheel alignment at next visit. Only buy Michelins from Costco, wonder if they can handle ordering and installation of motorhome wheels?
Old 02-21-2016, 06:42 PM   #8

Contacted. Thank you. Gives me another excuse to go fly fishing in OR!
Old 02-21-2016, 07:37 PM   #9
Platinum Member

my costco does my wheels, but I have a chev van based B.

costco will fill your "not bought from them" tires with nitrogen for cheap.

My local costco guys are cool and filled my portable tank so i could fill my m/c tires with nitrogen

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:03 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Upscale Automotive has also developed some custom rear springs to improve the Sprinter ride. I kept the springs they removed during the Glide Rite install. I got a call a little while later and they wanted to use my springs as reference for the new ones they were developing.

I'd give them a call. They also upgraded our rig with Koni's all around and a larger rear sway bar. Not sure the heavier sway bar is actually needed unless you have a more heavily loaded Class B+ or C.

Jon, who installed our air suspension, Konis and did some other work on our van has since sold the business. (IIRC) The new owners appear to be committed to their customers as well. We met them at the Sprinter-Fest and were impressed with their automotive experience and enthusiasm for the Sprinter and other vans entering the market.

https://sprinterstore.com/

For our 2010 3500 170, we also went with Alcoa wheels and a slightly larger Michelin MS2 tire. We run them at about 55psi cold. The ride is very good even in the back. I might put the lighter OEM sway bar back on someday because ours is a cargo van and our conversion is light so we have ~1000lbs of our GVWR to spare.

If you replace the tires, make sure your tire dealer lifts your Sprinter in the proper manner. Otherwise, they could damage your vehicle. We do all of our tire business at Discount Tire in Gresham, OR. They install upgraded wheels and tires for Outside Vans and so have the necessary experience.

All the best,Hein
Impact, Inc.
Hood River, OR
54l 49O 5O98
http://stores.ebay.com/impactproducts
Hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:12 PM   #11

The Sprinter Store is the best resource I have found, so far, for my coach. They have a June 4th fest which is close to the June 23rd FMCA rally. Both near Portland OR. Now to see about my work schedule!

Thank you for the excellent advice, Hein.

Regards,

Eric