Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2020, 03:13 PM   #61
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
I sometimes wonder when I see a MH pull into a shaded camping spot in the late evening and deploy their awning.
I have used mine three times in the last three years.
I wouldn't miss it if it was removed.
I think it is just an "Atmosphere" sort of thing! We are likely guilty of doing just what you say - it seems to give a feeling of more private living space perhaps.

Even in the evening it is nice with the awning lights on.

We would miss having an awning - even if we don't have one that is very good now compared to those on our previous trailers.

If this one needs replacing during our ownership I will likely opt for a more sturdy arrangement.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:25 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
Manual only with legs, (old school) Our Travato has the troublesome Carefree motorized with wind sensor, no legs. Very fragile, and they jam easily.
We used ours once right after we got it and it seemed so fragile, we zip-tied it shut and pulled the fuse. That way we don't have to worry about it self deploying while going down the road.
Some Travato owners are removing the motorized and installing the old school manual but without legs and like that setup
Our Travato awning will not deploy if motor is running.
Mbranscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 02:36 AM   #63
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbranscum View Post
Our Travato awning will not deploy if motor is running.

Welcome to the forum Mbranscum!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 03:40 AM   #64
Bronze Member

Among other useful attributes it shades the fridge side of our Sprinter and is not fragile. Can't imagine not having it.
parkgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:16 PM   #65
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
I sometimes wonder when I see a MH pull into a shaded camping spot in the late evening and deploy their awning.
I have used mine three times in the last three years.
I wouldn't miss it if it was removed.
Update: Camped last week in a state campground.
Watched a trailer pull into the spot across from us.
Immediately deployed awning even though they were under 100% shade.
They then built a large fire in the fire pit.
They then went to the lake for a swim.

We are usually on the move out seeing the sights and return to camping spot in the evening so no awning is needed.

It has come in handy a few times but when it breaks I will not replace.
paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:17 PM   #66
Platinum Member

I'm trying to solve the refrigerator problem on the exterior wall. I've designed a tall cabinet in the sliding door opening that is inset 1-1/2" from the door so the cabinet space is not part of an exterior wall. I have 80 square inches at the bottom of the cabinet and 80 square inches at the top of the cabinet for ventilation. I have a halfway stop so the sliding door will still shade the back of the cabinet.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:42 PM   #67
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I'm trying to solve the refrigerator problem on the exterior wall. I've designed a tall cabinet in the sliding door opening that is inset 1-1/2" from the door so the cabinet space is not part of an exterior wall. I have 80 square inches at the bottom of the cabinet and 80 square inches at the top of the cabinet for ventilation. I have a halfway stop so the sliding door will still shade the back of the cabinet.

Do you foresee a problem of IR exposure on your fridge with fully open sliding door? You could add a thin sheet of fiberglass/aluminum/SS to finish external cabinet wall. If fiberglass it could be painted in van’s color. It could be mounted with an air gap like a double roof.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:53 PM   #68
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Do you foresee a problem of IR exposure on your fridge with fully open sliding door? You could add a thin sheet of fiberglass/aluminum/SS to finish external cabinet wall. If fiberglass it could be painted in van’s color. It could be mounted with an air gap like a double roof.
There is about an 1-1/2" gap between the cabinet and the inside of the sliding door. As I mentioned the sliding door will only have to clear about a 30" opening and stop behind the cabinet. The cabinet should rarely be exposed to the outside.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:11 PM   #69
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I'm trying to solve the refrigerator problem on the exterior wall. ..........................
It seems as your design is very good, what is than a problem?
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:39 PM   #70
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
It seems as your design is very good, what is than a problem?
No problem. A solution. Built in cabinets usually utilize the wall of the van on the back side. As I mentioned this freestanding cabinet pinned at the floor, the roof and one side will have a 1-1/2" gap between the sliding door which is an outside wall thus an air space to further dissipate heat. The door will be insulated with Thinsulate and Hushmat which has a reflective foil backing and the glass window will be tinted to reflect most of the suns rays. What I am getting at is there is no need to shade the outside skin of the van with an awning as mentioned on a previous message on the refrigerator side and, of course, compressor refrigerators don't vent to the outside. Also for dissipating heat I will have about three times as much air flow as typically put in for venting the back of the refrigerator.

Many van designs have galley counters that intrude in a van sliding door opening. You can have a stop to prevent the van sliding door from fully opening but just the clear opening. That's what I meant that the back of the cabinet would rarely be exposed to the outside or sun. I would want fully opened when I want to get to a drawer cabinet or a drop down table when cooking outside. Thus I would like to have it finished as the same as the other cabinet finishes.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:15 AM   #71
Gone Traveling

Yes, they provide shade and protection from rain, sun, and wind.
Philipclopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:30 AM   #72
Silver Member

Default I hate 'em, wife loves 'em

One of my pet peeves is RV awnings. 17 percent useful is about right. We use commercial campgrounds and boondock urban, BLM and Forestry lands, but anytime my wife thinks it could it could be used, she wants the awning out ("why do we have one if we don't use it?") It usually messes with my solar suitcase. I cringe with my hand on the button of the Carefree motorized hoping it doesn't break. Motorized or not it's just one more thing to break. KISS, and does anyone think that an unemployed awning makes the vehicle roofline look good?

Ray B
Ormond-by-the-Sea, FL
Ray B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:04 AM   #73
Bronze Member

It's worth it for the rare times we do use it. We like it...and having a wind sensor helps.
AdamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:17 PM   #74
Platinum Member

My Tofino does not come with an awning (even as an option). My previous motorhomes had them and I've always used them. There are pros and cons, as with most everything. What I'm going to try out instead is a quick setup screen house.
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:35 PM   #75
Platinum Member

Following up on my post #25 from several months ago, I have two things to add:

(1) We got a Clam Venture screened room this year and used it for our 2-week off-grid quarantine. We are sold on it - we are not going off the grid without it in the future (I carry it on the van roof in front of the solar panel array). It's a viable option in lieu of an awning, and in many ways is superior IMO. It's visible in this photo with our picnic table inside of it. It's not easy to put a whole picnic table under an awning - it will block the slider:

(2) In lieu of an awning, I am curious about the newer tarps that have been adapted for use on vans. They are potentially more versatile, especially if they could be moved from the side to the back depending on the needs of the situation, for instance. I have long wished I could leave my back door open in the rain - if I could switch my tarp from the side to the back as needed, I could finally do that.

Here's a composite image showing several from Dragon Fly Tarps. The image at the very bottom is a screenshot from an Adventure Van Expo Instagram Live video I watched recently. These things are being heavily promoted by the #vanlife community.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:44 PM   #76
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
My Tofino does not come with an awning (even as an option). My previous motorhomes had them and I've always used them. There are pros and cons, as with most everything. What I'm going to try out instead is a quick setup screen house.
I have both an awning and a screen room. As far as the screen room is concerned, we have this one and have had it for close to 8 years. I'm glad to see it's still available and I think I'll go get another just incase.

It is not quick set up but never takes longer than 5 minutes. It can be moved while assembled and placed over a picnic table for meals and moved again to cover your chairs or to cover your stuff at night to keep the dew off. We've used it to mark our spot if we leave the campsite. At $58 dollars (I paid less), I won't overly upset if some a__h___ steals it. But the best feature of this screen room is that it folds up into a supplied bag that is only 2' long by 6" square. That's perfect for a B.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 03:43 PM   #77
Platinum Member

Agree with InterBlog about the Clam. Ours is the largest at 12x12 feet.

Plus the KingCamp. This can be moved around too, and would shelter the rear of the van when open.

https://www.tygerforge.com/blogs/new...-to-sea-part-2
TygerMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:51 PM   #78
Gold Member

An awning is like a spare tire. You don't need it until you do.
I've used my awning many more times than my spare (thank goodness).
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:52 PM   #79
Bronze Member

Had a Carefree awning. Had it open only 2 feet, because I was wary of the wind. Freak wind came up and was able to bend it back before it could pull itself in at .0000005 feet per minute. There's no fixing these awnings. Cost $2K. Got a Fiamma awning. It decided to randomly deploy while I was driving down the highway. Destroyed awning and $2.5K damage to the side of the van. NEVER AGAIN.
JLO11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:39 PM   #80
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
I have both an awning and a screen room. As far as the screen room is concerned, we have this one and have had it for close to 8 years. I'm glad to see it's still available and I think I'll go get another just incase.

It is not quick set up but never takes longer than 5 minutes. It can be moved while assembled and placed over a picnic table for meals and moved again to cover your chairs or to cover your stuff at night to keep the dew off. We've used it to mark our spot if we leave the campsite. At $58 dollars (I paid less), I won't overly upset if some a__h___ steals it. But the best feature of this screen room is that it folds up into a supplied bag that is only 2' long by 6" square. That's perfect for a B.
We have a very similar Eddie Bauer brand screen room that folds up compactly of 8" x 8" x 28". We have had it for years through three Class Bs. You are right they don't set up quickly like those Clams. I feel we can leave it set up and come and go just like a tent and marks your site better than a chair or something else that can be interpreted for left behind scavenging. And in Minnesota woods it is necessary for mosquito bit prevention.