Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2020, 08:03 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Given a choice would you have an awning?

So if you've had your B for a few seasons how useful do you find an awning? James, of Fit RV had a quirky, informative video recently on why he's not a big fan of the standard awning. He quotes from an RV dealer website "This [awning] is the most commonly repaired or replaced on any RV." I was surprised by the demonstration of how much of the day the area directly under the awning was not actually shaded by the awning. I can see how in a light rain it would be potentially nice. How often do you deploy your awning? In a State/National park many of the camping spots are generally shaded. Does an awning make the site feel "cozier" for lack of a better term? So again my question is given a choice would you opt for an awning?
Binny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:58 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Yes, but not one of the expensive, fragile, motorized affairs typically supplied as original equipment. ARB makes some nice manual awnings.

An awning shades the side wall and windows even when it doesn’t shade the ground.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:30 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Manual one for us also. We didn't use it for many years until in very hot Zion National Park in wide open sun. Worked very well and we now us use it quite often in sunny conditions. It shades fine during the hot times of day, especially is you lower the outside edge a ways.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:33 PM   #4
Platinum Member

My B has a Fiamma F45, manual

It works just fine and we have used it when parked up for more than a day or 2
depends on weather too

replacement parts are easily sourced from gowesty
( reminds me I have to replace the body leg mount clips)

if I didn't have one, I probably wouldn't rush out and buy one

no interest in motorized, just more to go wrong

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:53 PM   #5
Platinum Member

We often deploye our awning unless there is heavy wind. I don't have much patience for the fitrv couple. Found a few of their reviews very biased. Conclusion of a review should be a conclusion, not a driving objective.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:58 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
fitrv couple..

"adver-tainment"

annoying and not objective
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 11:56 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
"adver-tainment"

annoying and not objective
Bad adver and tainment not for me.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:24 PM   #8
Lou
Platinum Member

Ours came with awning but we like to travel so seldom bother with it. Exceptions are our one week camp with grandsons but a pop up would be just as useful. The other time is if we are forced to stop in one of those places where people next door are too close. We put out awning and hang a cloth from it for privacy.
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:16 PM   #9
Platinum Member

In 2-1/2 years, we never used our awning. Of course we never really camp, just stop ovenight between driving.

Well, earlier this week, I booked a spur-of-the-moment camp site at nearby Goliad State Park (TX). Only a few sites were available on-line and I booked the one with the least shade (none looked shady in their pictures).

Used the awning, glad we had it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2594cropped.jpg (312.7 KB, 63 views)
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:26 PM   #10
Site Team

When we ordered our van, we deliberately excluded an awning, since we never used the one on our old van. Unfortunately, they were so used to adding them that they put one on ours anyway. At least we didn't have to pay for it. I try to roll it out once a year to prevent it from freezing up.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:27 PM   #11
Bronze Member

I love mine. It is Fiama motorized one. On some hot summer days, when I am at a motocross track, there is no shade anywhere, other than under my own awning. I use it as much as I can. And with a push of a button, it is really easy to use it. I love using it!

Also, when just camping, it shades the side of my van, which makes it much cooler inside. And I can keep the slider door open without the sun getting in.
MotoVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:51 PM   #12
Platinum Member

We have one. We rarely use it since the instructions say not to use it in wind or rain. It does shade the side some, but we have not needed to do that very often. We just don't camp in the sun very often on calm, hot, dry days. We have used it more than the rooftop AC.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 06:14 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Manual only with legs, (old school) Our Travato has the troublesome Carefree motorized with wind sensor, no legs. Very fragile, and they jam easily.
We used ours once right after we got it and it seemed so fragile, we zip-tied it shut and pulled the fuse. That way we don't have to worry about it self deploying while going down the road.
Some Travato owners are removing the motorized and installing the old school manual but without legs and like that setup

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 06:19 PM   #14

Default We use our awning

We do use our awning on our 2003 RT 190P but not all the time. We are also using an added shade that we can fix to it when we want a bit more privacy and shade.
luclemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 06:53 PM   #15
Platinum Member

My wife likes putting the awning out. If it was up to me would probably hardly ever use it. Generally we are in sites with lots of trees and shade so not really necessary. But, the rare times we’re out in the open it’s nice to have for shade.
teck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 07:16 PM   #16
Bronze Member

We have 2003 Roadtrek 190 Popular that came with a manual Fiamma awning. It works great and is simple and robust but we only have used it few times - mainly camping in Moab and Fruita. If you have friends with a camper van with awning you can park in opposite directions with awnings facing each other and have a nice shady camp site. However, if the van didn't already have an awning I wouldn't bother getting one and I would save the money and top heavy weight. We don't really use our van like an RV though. We don't use the A/C, generator, microwave, indoor shower, and black water tank. We prefer the outdoor shower and Porta Potti for simplicity and convenience.
Bozeorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 07:33 PM   #17
Bronze Member

A previous camper had a bag awning and it was enough of a pain we only used it if we were in one place for a couple of days so maybe once or twice a year. Our current B had a manual awning when we bought it and we love it, use it a lot. We used it today when we had a parking lot picnic with friends. Shade is a little tight where we meet so we pulled up just outside the shade by 6 feet or so and cranked out the awning to extend the shade. Takes about a minute to setup or take down if it isn't staked to the ground or we get the weights out. Ours you can extend as much or little as you want so we sometimes only extend it a few feet to gives us an awning over the door for coming and going in the rain without making as big a sail for the wind. We do keep a velcro band a round one end just as an extra safety precaution while going down the road.
JebTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:10 PM   #18
Bronze Member

Removed my Fiamma F45
Only cleaned it, never used while camping
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:34 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Never used.

Rarely camp though in parks- I can see why the Motocross user likes it - I camp every night but usually in the city - if for a week out in a field, maybe then it might be of value.

Question: has anyone physically removed their manual Fiamma Awning & if so, are there any areas where water could get into the vehicle from the attachment points?
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:26 PM   #20

Our 2002 Trek came with one. Rarely use it, interfers with the door, does not do well in the wind and rain water tends to pond if you don't drop one side. We bring our Kelty sunshade which is surprisingly good when it rains.
calamityannie is offline   Reply With Quote