Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2020, 05:23 PM   #41
Platinum Member

If you don't have an awning and any regrets in your decision, you can consider this portable solution.

https://moonfab.co/?fbclid=IwAR0wo_I...unBkulmyeGCrd8
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 12:24 AM   #42

I have a 2002 road trek popular 190 with a manual operated awning and I use it quite a bit. In the rain, in the sun, and sometimes just to create some ambience in the evening with the porch lights on. It’s sturdy and easy to use. I would not put a motorized awning on it. But I will definitely not take the one on there now off.
2002Roadtrek190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:46 PM   #43
Platinum Member

Moonshades are $300.

For a mere fraction of that- $69-$109- you can get one of several very nice vented and windowed sunshades that are bigger, and in my opinion are better.........and you can either attach the shade to your vehicle, free stand it next to your vehicle, or set it somewhere else in any direction and any place that you choose.

Moonshade is 7x9 feet.

The one that I have ordered is 10x10 feet. Weighs 9.7 pounds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shelter1.jpg (144.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg shelter2.jpg (42.4 KB, 19 views)
TygerMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:08 PM   #44
Platinum Member

....and, unlike a permanent awning, this kind of shade can be placed or moved to any side, plus front and rear.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:15 AM   #45
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerMark View Post
....and, unlike a permanent awning, this kind of shade can be placed or moved to any side, plus front and rear.
Thanks for posting this. I’d been looking for something of the kind for my small travel trailer. Realized it will also work really well over the rear doors of our Chevy Roadtrek, which we like to leave open most of the time when we’re in camp.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:47 AM   #46
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerMark View Post
Moonshades are $300.

For a mere fraction of that- $69-$109- you can get one of several very nice vented and windowed sunshades that are bigger, and in my opinion are better.........and you can either attach the shade to your vehicle, free stand it next to your vehicle, or set it somewhere else in any direction and any place that you choose.

Moonshade is 7x9 feet.

The one that I have ordered is 10x10 feet. Weighs 9.7 pounds.
Does not appear on the KingCamp site. Do you have a web page?
GBUSMCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:09 AM   #47
Platinum Member

They are all over the net. Just search via the images. Or word search....there are plenty to choose from.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ubow...6BqAbM1d575DlM

https://www.google.com/search?q=ubow...eUI_7vxI4wdY4M
Old 07-01-2020, 03:16 PM   #48
Platinum Member

Moon shade.....
https://moonfab.co/
Old 07-01-2020, 03:22 PM   #49
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAZCamperVan View Post
Moon shade.....
https://moonfab.co/
Overpriced.....
Old 07-01-2020, 10:24 PM   #50

I would love to remove the awning from my 2014 RT Agile SS but can't seem to find any instructions on how online. Anyone know of how to do it?
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:37 PM   #51
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
I would love to remove the awning from my 2014 RT Agile SS but can't seem to find any instructions on how online. Anyone know of how to do it?
If it is Fiamma mounted to roof rails it should be reasonably easy. You need 2 people to remove it, remove holding down screws will allow you to slightly lift it and remove it. Brackets, if done professionally, are attached to roof rails and glued to the roof. A piano wire will help you to cut polyurethane in order to separate Fiamma brackets from the roof, could be tricky and could require painting.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:45 PM   #52

Thanks kindly. I may leave the brackets on for when I sell it someday they would have the option of putting the awning back on. Cheers.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:02 PM   #53
Platinum Member

I have had a class B without an awning and now own a small C with an awning. I think the awning is indispensable. It was the one item I always wished my B had the entire time I owned it. I did use external options like a pop-up shelter, but the inconvenience of having to carry it, the time it took to deploy it, and the impracticality of just being able to use it when parked at the beach, having a picnic, or many other impromptu uses of the van that made it such a great vehicle was a big loss.

When using our very small class C we spend most of our time outside, and the awning almost doubles our usable living space when it is raining or very sunny. We use it all the time, including on visits to the park, setting up our paddleboards, at the beach, etc.

As for the value of sitting under a covered area, even if it is not needed for sun or rain protection, I refer you to the architectural classic A Pattern Language. People just feel better in cozy environments, across time and culture, and covered sitting areas are a timeless way humans have meet this desire.
jakegw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:02 PM   #54
Platinum Member

I don't think this is an either/or type decision on the awning our portable shelter, as both are useful in the right situations.

Most times we travel with just the awning on the van and use it as necessary for shade or rain protection. Equipping an awning to stop bugs is not something we want to deal with, having seen and looked at it in the past.

We also have a quite small, maybe 6X8, screenhouse that we take along if we are going someplace where we know there will be a lot of bugs, or it is a place the we would benefit from having it in our site while gone to prevent poachers, and we are going to be there multiple days. It stores tiny so every easy to carry with and not bad to setup and take down. We probably carry it only 10% of the time and use in less than half of the time we carry it, but very needed at times.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:05 PM   #55
Platinum Member

jakegw2,
You make a very good point. The attached awning when deployed covers more than just an attempt to limit sun exposure. It is an inviting covered front porch with uses beyond limiting rays from the sun. Of course we can include things like limiting direct hits from squirrels dropping leftovers from feeding, pine needles, bombing runs by birds, etc. But the awing defines a space we can enjoy alone or with visitors. Setting up a separate tent is fairly easy. Taking it down quickly in sudden storm squalls, not so much (been there once, done that) but everything has pros and cons. Packing a tent means finding a place for it. If it rains, it really needs to dry out before rolling it up to get back on the road. While I try to have our awning dry and somewhat clean before I roll it in, I think it is a bit more forgiving about moisture issues than a bunched up and smelly tent. it is very nice that the awning pretty much packs itself in seconds without taking up other Class B storage space.

Should an awning be optional for production line motorhome models? I say no. Initial installation of a roof edge awning is I think, something that should be done at the factory. Especially if it has remote electrical control which means drilling holes to route wiring and making sure the roof is watertight. Plus the awning unit needs two people to place it in position without doing damage. For a home installer, I can envision multiple trips up and down a ladder to complete a post-purchase install. Given all of the pros and cons, it is probably best to always include an awning for the majority (?) of buyers. Otherwise go for a custom built Class B to be outfitted exactly the way you want. Be prepared for months of time in a queue and potentially a larger hit on the pocketbook, depending on what you have done. Do it yourself conversions if done well, can be less costly but still a bit of an eye opener. And time.

Fixing an awning I tweaked (never mind how) was intimidating but turned out thank goodness to be pretty easy including two replacement parts. I suppose some issues during a trip can be difficult. I envision someday having some significant issue that I will have more problems dealing with but I can always remove the mechanical arms and somewhat roll the top up, and tie it like a bed roll to deal with later.

Mine is electric with a gust/wind sensor to automatically retract it. Tested by aggressive hand wiggling, it works. Have not experienced it retracting on it's own on a trip yet but then my wife and I punch the button to retract it whenever we leave camp anyway. If the electrics failed, it can be cranked in manually. I carry a few tools including a ratchet, extension and 3/8 socket that fits the manual rewind fitting on the awning. Theoretically it will be an easy matter to wind in for most issues that might crop up although I suspect it will take a lot of ratchet action to retract the awning if fully extended.
Storysrvwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:11 AM   #56
Lou
Platinum Member

I am happy to know someone else likes The Pattern Language! I think because on most trips that we are just travelling (wandering about) we never bother with the awning. We certainly enjoy it during our beach week with grandkids.
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:54 PM   #57
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I don't think this is an either/or type decision on the awning our portable shelter, as both are useful in the right situations.

Most times we travel with just the awning on the van and use it as necessary for shade or rain protection. Equipping an awning to stop bugs is not something we want to deal with, having seen and looked at it in the past.

We also have a quite small, maybe 6X8, screenhouse that we take along if we are going someplace where we know there will be a lot of bugs, or it is a place the we would benefit from having it in our site while gone to prevent poachers, and we are going to be there multiple days. It stores tiny so every easy to carry with and not bad to setup and take down. We probably carry it only 10% of the time and use in less than half of the time we carry it, but very needed at times.
I think it is mandatory in northern Minnesota with mosquitos, noseeums and horse flies.

I posted an exterior photo previously but with that comment about a cozy environment, I found snuggling up against the van is not much more than being inside a van's cozy environment and somewhat claustrophobic. I enjoy being out from the van with catching the breeze from any direction and the openness. This 12' x 14' screen tent fold down to an 8" x 8" x 28" canvas bag as opposed to a nearly 8" x 8" x 14 ft. metal container hanging off the side of the van.

As you can see the newer model Sprinter doors are almost full height and the awning housing would have stuck out above the roof. That is another reason I rejected the awning. It looked terrible and could shade solar panels especially in the precious low sun angle in the south winters. I had an awning in my previous GWVan to note that.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:50 PM   #58
Bronze Member

I sometimes wonder when I see a MH pull into a shaded camping spot in the late evening and deploy their awning.
I have used mine three times in the last three years.
I wouldn't miss it if it was removed.
paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:59 PM   #59
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
I sometimes wonder when I see a MH pull into a shaded camping spot in the late evening and deploy their awning.
I have used mine three times in the last three years.
I wouldn't miss it if it was removed.

We see it all the time also, but it usually not the class b's. A lot of the class A and C campers seem to automatically put out the awning wherever they go, regardless of whether it is technically needed or not. Same with trailers to a large extent.

Perhaps it is because most of them have much sturdier awnings than class b's do, so they can just put them up just in case they might be needed without worry.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 01:39 PM   #60
Silver Member

I have one of the Carefree of Colorado awnings on my Passage and use it often. It might not always shade directly under the awning but it 98% always shades the side of the RV. We also like the lighting in the non-daylight hours.
We don't view the awning as the end-all solution to shade or whatever, it's just another feature that is useful and not taking up my precious storage space.
BrianCO is offline   Reply With Quote