Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2018, 05:57 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Glue Guns & RV Repairs

Before I go out and buy a fancy adjustable glue gun to try to bond nylon webbing to my homemade bug screens, are there any of you using one for other RV projects? I'm trying to justify buying the glue gun in case it doesn't work on the bug screens.
Oliver2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:00 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Sorry, can't help you justify the glue gun - I would stitch the screen to the webbing.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:00 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Before I go out and buy a fancy adjustable glue gun to try to bond nylon webbing to my homemade bug screens, are there any of you using one for other RV projects? I'm trying to justify buying the glue gun in case it doesn't work on the bug screens.

I made screens some years back for an '05 190P, and used a low-priced glue gun that I picked up in Lowe's or someplace like that. I know they have a variety of glues available, I used one that was labeled for general use. Ron
Old 12-09-2018, 03:52 PM   #4

Since I use Ryobi rechargeables, I bought their glue gun. Like it a lot, especially that you don't have to plug it in to use it.
MaxCapacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:47 PM   #5

I made window screens for our van using nylon screen and webbing, and sewed them together ...Easy to do, strong, and ~NOT~ messy like glue can be.

G
G wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:20 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Default Glue Guns & RV Repairs

I made screens with glue gun and strip magnets. They worked great until we traveled to hot climate areas and then the glue melted and released. I ended up using a regular adhesive (tube) glue that worked better. I sold that van and the screens went to the new owner and I purchased skeeterbeaters for the new van. They stitch regular round magnets into folded over screen material. Looks more finished, no glue melting and easier to store as they fold up nicely. I would recommend either purchasing or making your own in a similar manner.

Oh and glue guns are cheap; you can find for $5-10 at Lowes, Home Depot, Harbour Freight and Canadian Tire if you want to go that route. Don't sweat over another tool that you can always find lots of little projects to use it on. I actually have 2 of them (lost one for a while) so went out and purchased another one for some other project that needed a glue gun.
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:06 PM   #7
Site Team

Yes, hot glue is a mediocre adhesive in hot weather. However, you can sometimes improve matters if you can circle the item completely, forming a kind of physical bracket/loop.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote