Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2014, 04:31 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Re: Going to try a little snowbirding

Hi

I am responding with regards to the Boondockers Welcome concern. We got our Roadtrek this spring and been travelling in southern Ontario and we just finished a trip around Lake Erie. We have used Boondockers Welcome 6 times and all with great success. 4 out of 6 we stayed out the homes of the fellow members and got along very well with all of them. One member had a property that he owned to be used for a new home but made it available for boondocking. We emailed and spoke to him but did not meet him. With the last member, they were not going to be home as they were boondocking at a spot in between our homes so we met them there. Then we camped with them in the next month at another location. We did have a request that they not work out but it turned out that they were out of the country.

We have had only one request to boondock at our home as we only have room for a class B and the requestor ended not coming.

We make it a point to review the profiles and find people who are more of a match...similar age...smaller rigs...similar interests etc. Members can comment on their stay so they may provide some additional information.

We have been extremely pleased with it.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:03 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Thank-you cruisefx, I think we will be adding this resource for our travels.
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #23
Platinum Member

cruisefx, I would be glad to help.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:24 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
if you have a B. do you go to florida not worried about campsites and play it by ear?
I live in Florida, and the RV'ing during the prime winter months, December to March, is difficult and expensive. Without advanced reservations, it can be done, but will be expensive. This seems to be true the farther south you go. In January, and February, to have consistent, summer like weather, you have to be roughly south of Venice. If you look at how much land there is in those latitudes that is not swamp, you will see that there is not a lot of supply. If you look at the population that exists in the frozen north that time of year, yearning to avoid the snow, you will see that there is a tremendous supply.

If you do not mind temps in the 50's to low 70's, northern parts of Florida, are much less crowded.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:09 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Lots to think about and glad for the help! Looks like it will be a Thursday launch.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:01 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Launch day today! With 14 credit cards and 6 cases of Canadian Whiskey we depart the frozen north and head to the flooded, rainy, tornado, hurricane, desert, snake and bee infested, traffic jammed, people jammed wonders of the lower 48. We will try to keep in touch when we can, see you on the trail!
Old 09-18-2014, 03:08 PM   #27
Platinum Member

You forgot about dodging the forest fires of California.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:12 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Don't forget WARM.Come on down to SoCal but beware . The Campgrounds on our coast are pricey. State Park campgrounds are the worst. Some are $40 a night just for a strip of dirt and I wish I could say that's the most expensive. I guess you gotta pay for the most welfare recipients in the nation some how.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:33 AM   #29
Platinum Member

We are just a little south of Prince George staying in our first ever full hookup park! Been boondocking the last 4 days and thought we'd stay in a park, showers are nice, but cant wait to get back in the timber. The weather is really nice the last couple of days, warmer as we head south. Might head to Glacier park to see the limited sights or head to Washington to see the last of the Mariners play, will decide in the a.m.. Cocktails tonight and a gourmet burger to go with it, not much better than that combo! Till next time...
Old 09-23-2014, 04:57 AM   #30
Platinum Member

Sounds like you're having fun.

Mentioning a burger makes me hungry and mentioning a gourmet burger .... I hope I don't start to drool
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:15 AM   #31
Platinum Member

We are now in Central WA along the I5 corridor and all I can say is...HOT! The temps are in the 70's and the A/C works great. A first for us was the dress code of the Espresso stand girls, saw our first ones yesterday and I think I had about 15 trips to the stand before the day was over! The food prices here are amazing, 10 ears of corn for a little over 2 bucks, cantaloupe, 4 for a buck and so on. Did I mention the quality of the coffee at the roadside stands?
Old 10-06-2014, 12:35 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Like Mark said, sounds like you're doing well. I see you've seen our most recent results on the other 2 threads. I hope your voyage is less "eventful" than ours.
Type when you can......
Old 10-06-2014, 02:06 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Enjoy your coffee. Washington state treasures its status as the best coffee state. It is a competitive and pride thing there that ups the game with all coffee shops. Enjoy the heat while you can. The Midwest abruptly changed for the colder this past week.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:11 AM   #34
Platinum Member

70's is hot? I live in SoCal Inland Empire. It was 100 today but I was in Ventura on the coast yesterday and today where it was 80 and breezy.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:31 AM   #35
Platinum Member

Except for a frozen brake caliper things have gone well. About 3000 miles logged so far and hoping for a lot more. In my coffee situation, it wasn't really the taste of the coffee that got me but the clothing, or lack of clothing that they wore that got me. Looking forward to Southbound Hwy 101 in a couple of weeks.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:03 AM   #36
Platinum Member

Yeah, they've run in some of the "baristas" here in WA. Everett, I believe. Apparently it wasn't just the coffee they were selling!

85 over here on the East side today. Still running the air conditioning, and picking tomatoes.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

As the birthplace of Starbucks, they seem to have captured the essentials pretty well. We've tried many US coffee houses and only Starbucks and Biggby make a decent and consistent product. Even our Tim Hortons has veered more in the direction of the warm dishwater providers. Their recent dark roast offering is only slightly better than the base brew. Which is truly dire in places.
Just our opinion on a highly subjective topic.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:59 PM   #38
Platinum Member

Starbucks put Seattle on the map nationally in regard to coffee but before that emergence Seattle was the hot bed for good coffee by many companies there. Starbucks was the fortunate breakout to national prominence. I have traveled to a lot of cities and no city had the density of good coffee shops as Seattle. The Twin Cities makes a good run at it but I think still pales.

But if you are a donut freak, Texas is where you want to go. Little donut shops are everywhere. Marshall, TX, a small town of 24,000 in east Texas had 5 donut shops. I know. I checked all of them out trying to find an open one. Most all close when they sell out for the day and that is usually by noon. I am a donut freak and the old time bakery in the Twin Cities has all but disappeared. Now it is bagels, scones, muffins and Patisseries (French fru fru pastry).
Old 10-09-2014, 05:56 AM   #39
Platinum Member

You can send me any of that French FruFru stuff you pass up, Davydd!

But I like donuts, too. Especially the hot-off-the-machine ones at KrispyKreme.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:30 PM   #40
Platinum Member

Dunkin Donuts !
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote