Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2019, 04:37 PM   #41
Platinum Member

A year ago we were approaching retirement and thinking about getting a Class B. The Diesel Sprinter was top of list, but new was out of reach. We unexpectedly found a 2006 Roadtrek Adventurous and took the leap. We probably could've gotten a much newer class C, maybe even a gas A for less money, but accepted the premise that compactness and fuel economy come at a price that we were willing to pay. Ease of driving is a big plus, and pay same tolls as a car.

Been very happy with it so far. Have done 12k miles in past year from New Orleans in August heat to Kentucky at 23 degrees and a blizzard in March. Have done some minor upgrades to sound system and added back up camera, and an auxiliary cooling system to improve refrigerator performance. Also started pulling a Toad.

Still learning as we go but having fun!
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:46 PM   #42

I bought new and intended to keep it 5 years. We are 2 years in and enjoying it. However, as we get older we won't want to boondock as much, which is the best part. I figured if we were using it 90 days out of the year vs a resort, airfare, rental car, restaurants, etc, we'd more than break even on the resale. We waited to buy until we can use it 3-4 months a year. Hope this helps.
Bmecalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:24 PM   #43
Silver Member

To answer the question would I buy a Class B again? Absolutely! Especially Pleasure Way and especially gas, 20-ft or less. High quality, easy driving, fair mileage, parks in a regular parking spot.

Would I buy a Sprinter again? Absolutely Not! Slapping the Mercedes-Benz label on anything increases your maintenance costs just because of a brand name and God forbid you have a repair!

No also to diesel as the tree huggers become more concerned about diesel pollution which could lead to future problems similar to what is currently going on in Minnesota.

Pleasure Way is currently making both the Lexor on a gas ProMaster 20'6" length, and a Plateau TS on a gas Transit platform for a rental company. Would love to see an Ascent-size gas Transit platform too.

For those without the ability to buy new, there are 20-ft gas 2006-2012 Pleasure-Way Excels. Leisure Travel also made some Class B's around that same time frame that are worth looking at. Prices for these oldies but goodies are around $30k to $55k with typically 30k miles to 60k miles.
Ray B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:27 PM   #44

I got my rig just very recently. Ive had to do some work to it, but Ive already taken her out and really loved it. Traveled with my cat and dog, went off the beaten path, met interesting people and took time to stand in awe of Creation and the Creator. America the Beautiful is an understatement. Ive never purchase a new vehicle, so buying used was just fine. Repairs mean I know all my systems are in good stead. I cant imagine buying bigger, as I just cant imagine needing it. Ive had many adventures before this, so I dont feel Im missing out on anything. Im simply looking forward to the adventures to come.

No regrets.
BigBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 06:19 PM   #45

Upgrading: went from a 1998 C 210V to 2008 C190P for an obscene amount of money, but wouldn't trade it or our adventures! Can use it for a town car, light hauling and for trips it gives us everything we need ie: bed, kitchen (with frig, sink, stove and hot water) and toilet. Think it worth every penny, wouldn't change a thing!
WilmaKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:49 PM   #46
Platinum Member

Would I buy a class B again? Yes! Would I buy a Sprinter... probably not. I think my next van might be a Transit gasser with Quigley 4x4 and custom interior... Either that or an older nonslide Foretravel and tow a Jeep... hmmm decisions.

We bought a RT Agile new and are in our 3rd season. Is it expensive... yes. Is it worth it? For us Yes. We have had a great time using it 3 out of 4 weekends with one week vacation (2 weeks this year - yay) April to end of October. We were just talking about how without the van if we wanted to go to places we explore we know we wouldn't have done hotels or rentals that often. Having the van has made it so easy to get away almost every weekend. We have really enjoyed it and are grateful to have the opportunity.

Also, regarding Sprinter speed. Our Agile is plenty fast pulling onto the highway and I usually cruise at 72MPH. The torgue is great and overall it is a pleasure to drive. I am concerned about the annual and long-term maintenance, but we shall see.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:25 PM   #47
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
Would I buy a class B again? Yes! Would I buy a Sprinter... probably not. I think my next van might be a Transit gasser with Quigley 4x4 and custom interior... Either that or an older nonslide Foretravel and tow a Jeep... hmmm decisions.
The new Transit is supposed to be coming out with factory 4x4 later this year. They tout the same ride height as the 2wd. So you might have to do a lift, but not the expensive Quigley conversion. Although Quigley seems to have quite a good reputation, it just seems a factory 4x4 system would be the cheaper way to go.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:10 AM   #48
Platinum Member

A few weeks ago we passed 100,000 on our 2014 PM self-build. Heading to Alaska shortly, so probably another 10-12,000 before the summer is over. I didn’t build it to be a driveway ornament. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:30 AM   #49
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
A few weeks ago we passed 100,000 on our 2014 PM self-build. Heading to Alaska shortly, so probably another 10-12,000 before the summer is over. I didn’t build it to be a driveway ornament. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat.
Congratulations! If after that many miles you still like it, it's proof you made the right decision.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:13 AM   #50
Platinum Member

“Like” is too mild a word. I am absolutely in love with this van.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:52 PM   #51
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
The new Transit is supposed to be coming out with factory 4x4 later this year. They tout the same ride height as the 2wd. So you might have to do a lift, but not the expensive Quigley conversion. Although Quigley seems to have quite a good reputation, it just seems a factory 4x4 system would be the cheaper way to go.
The new Transit is supposed to have AWD not 4x4. The Quigley conversion I am investigating has true 4x4 with low range. That would work better for my needs than an AWD setup. However, we are still enjoying our RT Agile so it will be a while before we even start getting serious about it. Given the current demand for custom vans we would probably need to start almost 2 years before we want the van... #vanlife LOL
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:23 PM   #52
Silver Member

I hope my RV lasts for 22 years....it may out last me. In another 8 years, you'll have a real collectible on your hands....

Best of luck and travels[/QUOTE]

I sold my '94 PW Dodge with 225k to a neighbor! He still talks to me and loves the van. Same engine, no repairs to it. Not sure how many miles he put on but he's had it about 5-6 years. I replaced the tranny at about 125k, blew seals in Utah.

115K on my 2008 PW Chevy and lovin' it.
Asphalt Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:22 PM   #53
Platinum Member

Default Sounds like it's your 2nd car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
“Like” is too mild a word. I am absolutely in love with this van.
100,0000 miles in 5 years probably means your probably driving this just about everywhere....

That's great...a lot of use definitely keeps the cost per mile traveled lower.

I guess you plan to keep it forever and why not, you did a self build ... and really personalized your van. I've seen pictures and it's very nice. Congratulations on your being a truly satisfied owner.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:28 PM   #54
Platinum Member

The van is rarely ever driven around home—we have two Toyotas. Those miles on the van are fun miles somewhere between Vancouver Island and Nova Scotia. Year-round, as much as three months at a time.

Each trip has its own flavor and packing requirements, so versatility of storage spaces is critical. Last month to New Hampshire we needed hiking clothes and dress-up clothes. The upcoming trip to Alaska requires serious backpacking stuff and water for boondocking.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:33 AM   #55
Platinum Member

I’ll give you my Class B when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

...or when I can get a 4x4 version.

Class B’s are less than 1% of RV marketplace. So any of us who prefer Class Bs are unique.
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:10 PM   #56
Platinum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knit View Post
I’ll give you my Class B when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

...or when I can get a 4x4 version.

Class B’s are less than 1% of RV marketplace. So any of us who prefer Class Bs are unique.
Excellent way to put it.

A "b" is the perfect way to travel for us, since we do driving vacations. We generally hit camp after 5 pm, walk the park (or buy supplies if at Camp Walmart), eat, sleep, then off the next day. But we'd have no qualms camping several days at the same place if the weather is nice.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:00 PM   #57
Platinum Member

Default Driving vacations are sweet.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Excellent way to put it.

A "b" is the perfect way to travel for us, since we do driving vacations. We generally hit camp after 5 pm, walk the park (or buy supplies if at Camp Walmart), eat, sleep, then off the next day. But we'd have no qualms camping several days at the same place if the weather is nice.
Exactly.... and we can afford to actually drive and see a variety of different places because we're getting 14 to 20 MPG....as a group.... with gasoline on the lower side and diesel engines on the high side of things...... I actually average 18 MPG consistently.... sometimes more if it's pretty flat and cruising around 60 MPH.... comfortable.....

Again, these are not designed to be road racers... Who does that? Oh I can think of one person.....😁😁😁.

People who have Class A gas guzzling coaches...are getting 5 or 6 MPG... depending on their size... terrible....
These behemoths are really a trailer on wheels... We actually met some people who drove their 40 or 45 foot Class ,A twice a year.every 6 months..... to travel to their winter or summer home... the rest of the year the vehicle just sat idle and they towed a small car behind the rig...

I'm sorry.... I just couldn't see the value or utility in something like this.. sure it was a land yacht... and beautiful inside... but, talk about cost per mile....yikes.

I'm happy with the light on it's feet Class B..... I have a house if I need to stay inside for a while... don't need to drive my entire house around..... talk about expensive.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:57 PM   #58
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post

People who have Class A gas guzzling coaches...are getting 5 or 6 MPG... depending on their size... terrible....
These behemoths are really a trailer on wheels... We actually met some people who drove their 40 or 45 foot Class ,A twice a year.every 6 months..... to travel to their winter or summer home... the rest of the year the vehicle just sat idle and they towed a small car behind the rig...

I'm happy with the light on it's feet Class B..... I have a house if I need to stay inside for a while... don't need to drive my entire house around..... talk about expensive.
I have to comment on this... there is always more than one perspective on these things. I've had every flavor of RV that there is at one time or another in the past 30 years. Each one has been "perfect" until my circumstances changed, or the way we camped or traveled changed.

Gas mileage is irrelevant for MOST RV-owners. Most RVs are driven less than 5000 miles a year. The difference between the highest mileage and the lowest mileage coaches operating costs for fuel is about $250+/- annually over 5,000 miles. Depreciation and repair expenses far eclipse fuel expenses.

Travel trailers are superb for parking in one spot for a time for a "vacation." Class A motorhomes are great for extended stays as well. Class B & C motorhomes excel at offering active and passive safety features while on the road. Class C coaches come in a variety of sizes. Class B coaches offer ease of driving, parking, and allow folks to get into places most cars can go.

Each has a unique set of features that appeal to specific use patterns. I am fortunate enough to own both a Super-C AND a Class B and use them for very different purposes. Each performs its role well.

There is no "best" RV... there's only "best" for your current circumstances and the way you use them.
hepcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:28 PM   #59
Platinum Member

Default I suppose you are right.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
I have to comment on this... there is always more than one perspective on these things. I've had every flavor of RV that there is at one time or another in the past 30 years. Each one has been "perfect" until my circumstances changed, or the way we camped or traveled changed.

Gas mileage is irrelevant for MOST RV-owners. Most RVs are driven less than 5000 miles a year. The difference between the highest mileage and the lowest mileage coaches operating costs for fuel is about $250+/- annually over 5,000 miles. Depreciation and repair expenses far eclipse fuel expenses.

Travel trailers are superb for parking in one spot for a time for a "vacation." Class A motorhomes are great for extended stays as well. Class B & C motorhomes excel at offering active and passive safety features while on the road. Class C coaches come in a variety of sizes. Class B coaches offer ease of driving, parking, and allow folks to get into places most cars can go.

Each has a unique set of features that appeal to specific use patterns. I am fortunate enough to own both a Super-C AND a Class B and use them for very different purposes. Each performs its role well.

There is no "best" RV... there's only "best" for your current circumstances and the way you use them.
OK...I see your point..... and agree....it is about "how you use it"... .

For my personal situation, and this might be different from others, we normally put more than 5,000 miles per year on our RV.... and MPG matters a lot .....less than 10 is a huge difference compared to 18 to 20 MPG.....

As for comfort.....yeah, staying home is the most comfortable place.... really. I don't need to do anything special for this.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:45 PM   #60
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
OK...I see your point..... and agree....it is about "how you use it"... .

For my personal situation, and this might be different from others, we normally put more than 5,000 miles per year on our RV.... and MPG matters a lot .....less than 10 is a huge difference compared to 18 to 20 MPG.....

As for comfort.....yeah, staying home is the most comfortable place.... really. I don't need to do anything special for this.
I can appreciate your concern... but think for a moment... and do the calculations... how much, EXACTLY, more would you spend between an RV that got 10mpg vs your 18mpg over the miles you drive? Contrast that with the expense of depreciation specifically on your unit alone. Even though you bought well, my guess is that the difference in fuel expense is in the hundreds of dollars while the annual depreciation is still in the thousands. In the big scheme of total cost of ownership, fuel mileage is relatively small consideration, especially when you're talking about the difference in cost of, say, 8 mpg.

I'm not saying it's not A consideration in buying a coach or keeping a coach... it's just misplaced that it's the MAIN consideration... when other factors are what are really killing your wallet, long-term.

Now, don't take me wrong either... I'm absolutely giddy that my Interstate is getting a solid 22mpg on diesel at $2.79/gallon while my Born Free 32RQ is getting 10mpg on $2.55 gas.

I put 10k miles a year on the B-van average, and 2.5k miles on the Super-C. But even at that... the actual dollars spent in the difference just really isn't significant.
hepcat is offline   Reply With Quote