Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2010, 10:03 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Got my exercise today

So today I exercised my genny. The genny should be exercised or used under load at least once a month. I start the genny and plug in a heater to load it or make it exercise. Just wondering what others do to load the genny for the once a month exercise.
V10
Steve_Guelph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:41 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Got my exercise today

In winter we make coffee in the Grand Canyon village parking area. Draws about 900W
for about 20 minutes.
In summer we run the A/C for the exercise period. Not sure of the draw, but it's probably
double the coffee maker.

I've had niggling problems with my Onan over the last 2 years, mostly from lack of use,
hard starting probably due to having to prime itself while I crank it, and one problem
was corrosion related, when a wire rusted off the starter solenoid inside the casing.
Also a bad battery cable connector, it rusted inside the clamp and I wouldn't have
found it, except for markopolo suggesting I recheck my battery cables.
However, it hasn't affected the performance in terms of overall electrical output
when it does get used. The repair person bench tested the output power when I had
the rusted wire fixed, and showed me the scope and the wattage/amperage/voltage
was all within +- 1% from it's specs the day it left the factory. He said unless I moved
to AZ (drier climate) they are always prone to corrosion if not exercised fairly regularly.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:04 AM   #3
g1g
Platinum Member

Default Re: Got my exercise today

Well to answer what I use, in the summer the AC in the winter I'll put on the 1500 watt heat strip and add a 800 watt heater. But as for once a month let's just say I'm a bit lax on that part. It seems I just can't find the time to dig it out of the garage (it's buried, on the bright side it does make it harder if someone to tries to steal it)
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote