Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2018, 08:11 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default gps

i'm considering buying a Garmin RV770 gps. anyone have one?
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:05 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
i'm considering buying a Garmin RV770 gps. anyone have one?
I've had a Garmin RV760 for several years in my Promaster RV and it's worked very well. After reading about the 770 I think it's time I upgraded.
tgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:50 PM   #3

Default Garmin RV770 gps

We've had ours for about 1 year driving over 5,200 road trip miles on it. Really love the way it works. Worked well in Canada also. Nice big screen. Use it in our 59K Travato.
Robert Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:05 PM   #4
BBQ
Platinum Member

The Garmin RV770 GPS is indispensable if you travel in the Northeast.

Lots of low bridges in the area that are too low for an RV.

Some roads also have length restrictions.
Some roads have RV restrictions. (eg Parkways)

All these info are built in the GPS database.

It can be a big money saver and hassle saver.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:52 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Is that better than using google or apple maps on a smartphone?
Old 02-02-2018, 03:10 PM   #6
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
Is that better than using google or apple maps on a smartphone?

I haven't tried, can you get height restrictions on google or apple maps?
Old 02-02-2018, 03:22 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I don't understand how anyone can drive and see anything on the tiny smart phone screens. (and I have one of the bigger phones)
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:26 PM   #8
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
I don't understand how anyone can drive and see anything on the tiny smart phone screens. (and I have one of the bigger phones)

I listen to voice directions only.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:59 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Ditto for voice directions only when driving if the only other option is the phone. However, our RV has an aftermarket Kenwood that displays the image from the smartphone on a large screen.

I don't think either Google or Apple Maps displays heights, however, the app Allstays has an option to choose the height restriction. Can't remember how much the app costs, but I think it was less than $10.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:20 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I also have a Kenwood with Garmin GPS navigation. I have kept it updated every year so it is very helpful at finding Point of Interest (POI). However it is painfully slow at recalculating if you make a wrong turn in an urban environment. I also use the Copilot app on my large iPhone 6+ as a backup as it recalculated instantly. Copilot is useful because it does not need a data connection since has all of North America stored on the phone. I've used both the Kenwood/Garmin and Copilot extensively in USA and Canada.

I also like Copilot because it will give you three route options. The Garmin I have only offers one route. Copilot is available for both iPhone and Android systems. It is about $30 and is often on sale for less.

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream
Old 02-02-2018, 05:27 PM   #11
Platinum Member

I have read several negative comments from people on this . one was the recalculation issue.

the critics all have large rv's.

I asked here because for all intents and purposes we have almost car size vehicles.

I suspect the bigger your rv the more road restrictions and calculating time will take.

It's good to see some here are aok.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:35 PM   #12
Gold Member

Probably bring on the wrath of everybody - but I like maps. Been navigating my way thru this world for 66 years by maps and have no desire to become dependent on an 'app' now. Nothing better than studying a map and planning the next days travel. For POI, stop and ask somebody - most areas still have tourist info centers.
It is my belief that these gadgets reduce our over-all capabilities as people and I would rather get lost occasionally, or have to turn around because a low bridge sign appears, than be perfectly on time and on track.
We will typically spend some time on line before a trip, learning a bit about the areas we will pass thru, then just go. Remember the fun of not knowing what is around the next bend? We used to call it exploring and that is what my wife and I like to do because it suits our sense of adventure.
I will see myself out now.
D&J Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:02 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&J Phillips View Post
Probably bring on the wrath of everybody - but I like maps. Been navigating my way thru this world for 66 years by maps and have no desire to become dependent on an 'app' now. Nothing better than studying a map and planning the next days travel. For POI, stop and ask somebody - most areas still have tourist info centers.
It is my belief that these gadgets reduce our over-all capabilities as people and I would rather get lost occasionally, or have to turn around because a low bridge sign appears, than be perfectly on time and on track.
We will typically spend some time on line before a trip, learning a bit about the areas we will pass thru, then just go. Remember the fun of not knowing what is around the next bend? We used to call it exploring and that is what my wife and I like to do because it suits our sense of adventure.
I will see myself out now.
Nothing wrong with that. However isn't and ipad or kindle or similiar device just a map storage device.

My wife and I were the same way with books. Now the only thing we use is our kindles.

We like the gps device because it tells us were we are. However although we are tourists being lost and frustrated is not our cup of tea if we can help it.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:03 PM   #14
BBQ
Platinum Member

Offline Map for your smartphone, tablet, or computer.

Free download
No fees
No subscriptions
No cell signals needed

Voice direction
Fast recalc
Speeding, trap/camera warnings

Works just like a basic Garmin
No height info, etc.

http://wego.here.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg map.JPG (66.3 KB, 29 views)
Old 02-04-2018, 02:28 PM   #15
Silver Member

< "I will see myself out now." >
Watch your head. OOOh! should of had the app.
Sehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:49 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I bought the Garmin 770 RV some months back, even though I agreed with other reviewers (especially those on Amazon) that there is something fundamentally wrong with the RV logic that it contains.

For that reason, I run it in "car" mode and it seems to do reasonably well. It is subject to occasional bricking, but I feel it's better than other options including Google, and certainly better than nothing at all.

This thread entry on Air Forums describes the logic flaws, complete with photographs of my Garmin screen to illustrate the weird results I'm talking about. The whole thread is pretty good in discussing various GPS options generally.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 03:07 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I bought the Garmin 770 RV some months back, even though I agreed with other reviewers (especially those on Amazon) that there is something fundamentally wrong with the RV logic that it contains.

For that reason, I run it in "car" mode and it seems to do reasonably well. It is subject to occasional bricking, but I feel it's better than other options including Google, and certainly better than nothing at all.

This thread entry on Air Forums describes the logic flaws, complete with photographs of my Garmin screen to illustrate the weird results I'm talking about. The whole thread is pretty good in discussing various GPS options generally.

i actually want it for all the other self contained stuff in it-we have too many books know. We do carry maps and do in general plan a major route in advance.we will still carry an atlas for sure. Do you find that the abillity to search all the different things that are in it useful and easy to do. I also like that it has it;s own wifi and is very easy to connect to updates-however how good the updates are is another question
Old 02-04-2018, 04:14 PM   #18
Platinum Member

another question- i am not tied into buying this.

However we have 2 requirements

we want a 7 inch screen AND a built in wifi connection

anybody know besides the garmin rv770
Old 02-06-2018, 01:58 PM   #19
Platinum Member

I like having both, maps and the app. The map, so I have a view in my head of where I should be going, and the turn by turn directions to help out getting there... or ignore when it suggests I drive into a lake or over a closed bridge.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:56 PM   #20
Platinum Member

We have used our Garmin 2797 for quite a while now, big screen is nice for sure.

For me, the most important feature is how easy it is to program and exact route that is not necessarily what the GPS chooses. This is usually not very easy on the GPS itself, unless they have changed a lot lately, and takes quite a while if it is a more complicated trip, such as following a coastline on smaller roads. With Garmin, you can layout a trip on the laptop with Garmin Basecamp software and transfer it to the GPS without having the route get altered as we always found with other combinations. Some of our routes have lots of twists and turns, so maps would be tough for DW to be following all the time. We do carry an Atlas for backup or to pick general area.

Having the ability to program a GPS with either/both destinations and "via" or waypoints is a nice feature. The Garmin does both, where the past ones we had didn't. Destinations make you actually get to the point of the destination, or the GPS keeps trying to route you back to it if you miss or intentionally bypass it, until you delete the destination or restart the route without it. Via or waypoints (shaping) points just determine modified route you have made, so it you miss them or skip a place, the Garmin just picks up the route again once you are on it without trying to send you back to the point you skipped.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote