Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2014, 10:25 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Great West Van "Classic" (Ram ProMaster)

Great West Vans posted 6 photos of their Promaster Class B they label as the "Classic" on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 885&type=1
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:29 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Great West Van "Classic" (Ram ProMaster)

More photos at their website but no spec sheet, plans or details yet.

http://www.greatwestvans.com/new-model/
Old 03-27-2014, 01:25 AM   #3
Platinum Member

It's good to see another manufacturer build on this chassis. I like the bed arrangement better than the Travato, but I have no use for the extra chairs. Can't wait to see some specs.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
Platinum Member

A few things I see:

The bed is a dinette? I assume one sleeps width-wise then. For someone taller than six feet, this may pose a problem.

The rear passenger chair seems to be in the way when entering. I wonder if there is a way to pull it out and have a narrow wardrobe (something that doesn't impede entering/exiting) put in, just for storage of additional shirts and coats. Even a mini-closet with 4-6 inches and a pull-out sliding hanger would come in handy. It can also function as a pull out pantry.

Other than that, specs, stats, and maybe even quirks would be nice to know.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22
The rear passenger chair seems to be in the way when entering. I wonder if there is a way to pull it out and have a narrow wardrobe (something that doesn't impede entering/exiting) put in, just for storage of additional shirts and coats. Even a mini-closet with 4-6 inches and a pull-out sliding hanger would come in handy. It can also function as a pull out pantry.
One of GW's strengths (and a big reason we went with them for our new van) is their willingness to customize. They offer a 4-captains-chair option on the Legend, and it works exactly as you describe. You have a 3-way choice among (a) the four chairs; (b) a low chest of drawers with a window above; and (c) a tall hanging closet, losing the window. I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same on the Classic.

In our case, we are having them sort of blend (b) and (c): they are converting the chest of drawers to a hanging closet and making it somewhat taller (but not as tall as their normal closet). That way, we can have a (somewhat smaller) window and still have the hanging space that we desire. I would really miss that window while driving.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:10 PM   #6
Platinum Member

This B appears to sleep four in the back. The lower level with the dinette table is a typical twin bed design. The upper bed which looks like a full bed lowers down from the ceiling. Thus four seats is appropriate for this B.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:07 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
This B appears to sleep four in the back. The lower level with the dinette table is a typical twin bed design. The upper bed which looks like a full bed lowers down from the ceiling. Thus four seats is appropriate for this B.
I guess you're right. I wonder if the rear dinette seats/beds in the back have seat belts?
Old 03-27-2014, 05:11 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I doubt there would be seat belts sitting sideways in the back which is illegal in some states I imagine. Besides four seats up front is enough for the capacity of that B.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:35 PM   #9
Site Team

Well, my 2005 Airstream Interstate came with four seat belts on the front couches/beds, FWIW. I was just wondering because if there were practical travel seats in the back, then a 4-sleeper/2 captains chair configuration might make sense. I don't think sideways seating is all that unusual.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:38 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Maybe it is just the pictures but I get claustrauphobic just looking at those pictures.

There is only so much space in a small van. A dinette, bed and 2 extra captains chairs seems a little much. That really looks cramped. Sometimes less is better.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:10 PM   #11
Platinum Member

I agree. The dinette has all the extra seating I would occasionally require.

What that floor plan has is no storage. The two captain's chairs could be wardrobe cabinets and the drop down bed looks like it eliminates any overhead cabinets in the back.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #12
Site Team

Yeah, seems cozy. But, the holy grail of the B van market is something that will work for a young family that they also might be able to afford. This is probably as good a shot at that elusive goal as I have seen, depending of course on what it ends up costing.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:03 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Makes not a lot of difference to me what it has. I know I would never buy a Ram Promaster of any configuration as it is DOA for a host of reasons. So far most all discussion about this and the Winnebago Travato is what it would take to make them work overlooking the fact that most all suggestions would still make them inadequate and difficult compared to other Bs. The front wheel drive lower floor is a major capacity killer for tanks of all kinds. The size really is not much bigger than the Sprinter Agile/Ascent size which I long ago deemed inadequate for my two person needs. The only redeeming quality I see in a Promaster is it is about 3" wider than a Sprinter suggesting cross sleeping for short people and so far a host of bad design ideas.

Lack of storage means this at best could be a short term steel tent but not a longterm serious tourer, IMO.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:47 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Two piece bath--no inside shower. Not on my radar. Those extra seats use a lot of configuration space. A Promaster with a proper shower AND a good fold-down bed where you dont have to boot out your bed mate to go to the toilet--that is what, at least, some of us expect.
Fastpaddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:07 PM   #15
Platinum Member

To me, the "gold standard" of a 20 foot "B" floorplan is the Roadtrek SS Agile or the Pleasure-way Ascent. Two pseudo twin beds that can be joined together to make a king, a decent bath, a small but usable bathroom, and so on. Of course, there can be improvements. A flip-up or pull out sink similar to what is in the RT SS Agile, all diesel appliances, a diesel generator, and so on.

The ProMaster's price is right, but other than that, the Transit blows the doors off the PM in every way other than cost. I can't wait until the high roof, 22 foot long chassis models are out... there is just so much more potential for that van.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:29 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I think there are better potential designs than the SS Agile and Ascent. I wish the Murvi Morello was available in this country. I love the "living room" and bathroom in this one.

http://www.murvi.co.uk/products/murvi-morello/
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:29 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
Makes not a lot of difference to me what it has. I know I would never buy a Ram Promaster of any configuration as it is DOA for a host of reasons. So far most all discussion about this and the Winnebago Travato is what it would take to make them work overlooking the fact that most all suggestions would still make them inadequate and difficult compared to other Bs. The front wheel drive lower floor is a major capacity killer for tanks of all kinds. The size really is not much bigger than the Sprinter Agile/Ascent size which I long ago deemed inadequate for my two person needs. The only redeeming quality I see in a Promaster is it is about 3" wider than a Sprinter suggesting cross sleeping for short people and so far a host of bad design ideas.

Lack of storage means this at best could be a short term steel tent but not a longterm serious tourer, IMO.
I agree with you Davydd. OK, I am an agreeable person. I looked at a 2014 PW Plateau TS and it is much like my 06 model PW/TS except bigger fridge and a couple of other things. The extra length over 20 ft ie 21ft 11 or 22ft9 ins on Sprinters seems just about right IMHO. Maybe the Ford Transit lwb might be a good RV conversion with rwd. I am grumbling about price of replacing mine right now although it runs like a swiss watch--more or less.
2. Did you get your GWV out of the snow and on the road. I recall you were headed South?
cheers
AL
Old 03-29-2014, 02:20 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Yep. I've been in South Padre Island, Texas for two weeks now.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:16 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Wow. Texas and no Minnesota snow or rain. If I were so inclined, I would be envious, at least.
But I am happy for you so enjoy yourselves. I havent RV'd to Texas yet. I usually go to Arizona.
We are heading East to Winnipeg end of May with PW. As noted the Ram ProMaster is out for me but I would consider a Ford Transit LWB RV conversion--if it doesnt take too long to emerge!!

Best wishes
Al
Old 01-25-2017, 02:59 PM   #20

Hi, anyone out there know how much weight I will be putting on a pair of ramps under the front wheels with my 2009 gasoline Great West Titan Van? My son's ramps say 300lbs per ramp, 600lbs per pair or 1200 for the whole RV. The GWVR inside the door says 12,300lbs but I think that's what I can carry combined. I haven't loaded it up yet and it is winterized so I think that means the tanks are empty except for the gas tank and the propane tank. There is a wire hanging down underneath it and I don't want to drive it until I somehow secure that wire up higher and even though I am a small lady the van is low enough I can't get under it without ramps. So should I use these ramps?
xanadu1jw is offline   Reply With Quote