Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2022, 07:22 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Grey Tank Leak

Is there any way to plug a grey tank leak from the inside? Are there substances that will create a waterproof lining? I don't want to pull the tank, and can't locate the leak from exterior inspection.... We have a 2005 Roadtrek 210 Versatile on a Chevy chassis.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 07:56 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Is there any way to plug a grey tank leak from the inside? Are there substances that will create a waterproof lining? I don't want to pull the tank, and can't locate the leak from exterior inspection.... We have a 2005 Roadtrek 210 Versatile on a Chevy chassis.
Just had my fresh water tank repaired. My leak was visible(sort of). At least was able to get access from outside. Vendor wanted me to remove it for repair. He would not warranty it unless I removed it. Did not remove it and said I would take full responsibility. Took two attempts and he was able to plastic weld it for me.

Most tanks are made of polyethylene(high or low density). There are some products which are suppose to be able to bond? Generally, the tanks crack because of stress. Mine was an inside corner. Long term, best to weld it. Means one requires access to the crack. I have not redone the support for my tank. Thinking of placing a sheet of plywood, metal or polyethylene to support all corners of tank.
Old 07-25-2022, 08:05 PM   #3
Silver Member

A fiberglass patch? West Marine is a good source.
tarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 08:06 PM   #4
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
,...but no, not from the inside!
tarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 02:40 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I don't know how your Class B's plumbing system is constructed, but if you cannot find the leak, check the inflow line's junction with the tank.

The first-gen Airstream Interstates had a well-known design defect which caused the lines to shear off (pic of ours below). Over the years, I've seen this happen with other Class Bs as well - maybe it doesn't shear completely off, but it's a stress point and so it cracks at that junction. And the crack may not be visible when the van is stopped, but it will leak.

We had to pull our entire grey system and reconstruct it (links to a series of blog posts), a job that (at the time 7 years ago) cost over $2,000 to have done at an RV service center, which is why we DIY'd it.

Sight for sore eyes:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote