Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2015, 10:20 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
Sue them before the bankruptcy filing, that may place you higher up in line when it comes down to it.
They've filed....I don't which type of Chapter they filed for, but they've filed.
wjcreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:03 PM   #82
Platinum Member

I figured they would. That will put all their disputes into the federal bankruptcy court and out of any local jurisdictions.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:31 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I figured they would. That will put all their disputes into the federal bankruptcy court and out of any local jurisdictions.
Just found out moments ago that Sterling RV has NOT filed for Bankruptcy - the attorney listed in the court documents confirmed this to us. Very interesting!!
wjcreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:56 PM   #84

Has company offered to buy them out yet?
kohnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:21 AM   #85
Rok
Platinum Member

Wow, this is all news to me. I own a 2013 Great West Legend SE, so I'm very familiar with the product. I'm just posting on this thread in case anyone has any new information.

I plan to do some research to see if I can find out what is going on from some reputable sources. Let me clarify that: I'm not implying that the information here isn't reputable--quite the opposite, it seems damn good, but it also seems a bit incomplete.

If anyone knows anything more, please let me know.

Thanks.

......Rocky
Rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:00 AM   #86
Platinum Member

The wheels of justice grind slowly. If they haven't filed bankruptcy, then there probably are separate litigations going on, if they've been filed. Sometimes parties will wait until approaching the statute of limitations if they think the ability to recover would be better. So it may take some time to play out.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:42 PM   #87
Site Team

I have been doing Google searches from time to time. There seems to be nary a peep on the Net, which kind of surprises me. One would think that at least hints of lawsuits, etc. would have shown up by now.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:12 PM   #88
Rok
Platinum Member

I have found out a few things about the situation, but a lot of people are keeping mum. Has anyone been able to talk with Dave DeBraga since this all started (6 months ago or so)? I would like to get his side of it.

I've seen his wife's Facebook post that was taken down. I think it appears somewhere earlier in this thread.

The current GW web site that is up appears to be an old one. All of the phone numbers on that site are defunct and give a "this number is no longer in service" message when called.

I have had Dave's personal cell phone number in the past, but I doubt that number is still working, and I don't know if I can find it in my records.

We have a few bills that were unpaid by the company plus some warranty work that was in process but incomplete, so we may have a small claim in the bankruptcy proceedings if we can find where to file. That is likely to be useless, but hey, I have a few hours to spend filling out some forms. Besides, it is more of a matter of curiosity to me.

If anyone knows about any bankruptcy proceedings and who to get in contact with about this, please let me know.

It sounds like this was a very messy thing and it may still take time to resolve.

I am sure glad this forum exists. Thanks Marko!

.........Rok
Old 01-07-2016, 06:46 PM   #89
Platinum Member

There's a brief mention of it again in the Jan 6 edition of the Winfield Journal Record. Link: http://etypeservices.com/Journal%20R...7/default.aspx
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:18 PM   #90
Platinum Member

Sounds like a foreclosure to me.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:37 PM   #91
Site Team

Best I can piece together, the city guarantee on the loan was about to expire and the bank didn't like how things were looking, so they pulled the plug before that happened, thus keeping the taxpayers on the hook. How real those concerns were is unknown, but they must have had enough to justify the foreclosure.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:34 PM   #92
Platinum Member

Reading the article, you'd think the company decided to fold up on it's own and left the bank holding the bag, including ducking out on a personal loan.

Might be some spin going on here. You'd think the "journalists" would be just spouting the bank's take on events.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:14 PM   #93
Site Team

Quote:
Reading the article, you'd think the company decided to fold up on it's own and left the bank holding the bag, including ducking out on a personal loan.

Might be some spin going on here. You'd think the "journalists" would be just spouting the bank's take on events.
I was down there getting some minor warranty service only a few months before things fell apart. Spent a lot of time with Dave. From what I could see, I think it EXTREMELY unlikely that any of this was his idea. Whether he was meeting his obligations to the bank is a different question, about which I have no data.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:33 PM   #94
Platinum Member

Anyone do the numbers? How much can a converter make on a Class B to pay off a loan? How many would they have to make? They listed eight dealers and that might have been optimistic. Their most successful dealer was probably Lake Region RVs in Minnesota and very few went through them based on my observation.

From the article it sounded like the bank made a visit and did some rudimentary numbers and realized something was amiss.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:41 PM   #95
Site Team

I don't disagree. But remember that B-van conversion wasn't their only business. They also made those little trailers (which was a much lower cost, higher volume and probably higher margin item) and also ran a fiberglass fabrication business. I know nothing about the health or profitability of those business activities, but it does complicate the analysis.

As others have suggested, I suspect that the fatal problem had more to do with workforce issues than with demand.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:02 AM   #96
Platinum Member

From what was printed, they had 20 employees over a year into the effort. At the opening, they said they'd have 80-90. Sounds like they never had enough people to have any significant output.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:28 AM   #97
Site Team

Quote:
From what was printed, they had 20 employees over a year into the effort. At the opening, they said they'd have 80-90. Sounds like they never had enough people to have any significant output.
...and to make matters worse, there appears to have been an extraordinary amount of turnover of the people they were able to hire. I don't want to speak out of school too much, but suffice it to say that recruiting in Alabama was a challenge for them.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:21 AM   #98
Platinum Member

...a HUGE challenge...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:59 AM   #99
Rok
Platinum Member

Thanks for the info Marko & Wincrasher! That really helps flesh things out.

$1.5 million in a town of under 5,000 is more than $300 for every man, woman, and child. From what I've read, the area is a bit depressed. $300 is a lot of money for people used to living from paycheck to paycheck, on Social Security, etc.

It is not a wonder that the townfolk got a bit riled up. Unfortunately, it is also no wonder that some threats were hurled toward the DeBraga family as mentioned in Dave's wife's Facebook post. I don't think threats are proper, but it is almost to be expected, given the circumstances.

This whole thing would be a bit humorous if it weren't so serious.

.......Rocky
Old 01-08-2016, 06:15 AM   #100
Rok
Platinum Member

This is a very good point Davydd!

I've been trying to do the numbers in my head but I don't have a lot of solid data to work with. When I bought our GW Legend SE in 2013, I asked Dave what his production was and he didn't tell me directly. He said his capacity for production was about 50 to 60 units per year. When he told me that I got the impression that he might have been fudging a bit to make me feel comfortable with dealing with his company. I also got the definite impression that he was operating considerably under capacity. Since buying I've watched the units in stock at the limited dealership network he had. If I had to guess, with admittedly limited data, I would say he was producing between 20 & 30 units a year, if that.

I didn't get the chance to visit his operation in Winnipeg, or any of his other operations for that matter, but from what I've been told by others is that in his Canadian plant he had space set up for working on about 3 units simultaneously.

Does any of this jibe with your observations or knowledge?

Anyway, it would be difficult to pay off a $3.8 million debt IMHO with those types of sales levels. But then you have to factor the fiberglass biz into the equation. Do you know if he moved that business down to Winfield, too?

........Rocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Anyone do the numbers? How much can a converter make on a Class B to pay off a loan? How many would they have to make? They listed eight dealers and that might have been optimistic. Their most successful dealer was probably Lake Region RVs in Minnesota and very few went through them based on my observation.

From the article it sounded like the bank made a visit and did some rudimentary numbers and realized something was amiss.