Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2015, 03:45 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Hammil's tracking abuse post

Did anyone else see Hammil's post about folks tracking, and harassing, him and other Roadtrek employees? It was very hard for me to understand much, detail wise, from it, specifically. It was unsettling to be sure, but in the big scheme of the internet and business not entirely surprising, either. He has gone after, insulted, and made very angry, quite a few people, and the internet allows a lot of ways for those who insist on "getting even" to do it no matter how creepy, illegal, or in poor taste.

Stuff like this should not happen, IMO.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:01 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Who knows what the truth is? Jim's idea of abuse and harassment is someone simply disagreeing with him. The best thing for him and Campskunk to do is just get off Facebook as they don't have the temperament to deal with it.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:11 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I follow Donald Trump on Twitter now mainly for the entertainment.

I wonder how a company CEO can devote so much time to places like Facebook, reply to messages and such, not only in Roadtreking:The Group but also in other groups. I'm retired. This is a hobby. I know it takes an extraordinary amount of time taking away from more valuable ventures and tasks. I don't think the benefit return in business of doing so would make sense. Clearly it has been a double-edge sword if posting publicly about the tracking and harassing. I know any kind of pleas for knock it off, stop whining, do a search first, etc. is futile on the Internet.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:23 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Who knows what the truth is? Jim's idea of abuse and harassment is someone simply disagreeing with him. The best thing for him and Campskunk to do is just get off Facebook as they don't have the temperament to deal with it.
I agree that with him it is hard to tell, as he does get very testy, over reactive, and aggressive when pushed. His first line of survival seems to be as the schmoozing salesman who is your best friend, but he quickly turns to a very aggressive intimidater if the schmooze doesn't work and he gets questioned. Lately, it appears neither method is working very well, and he seems to (over) react to lots of things much quicker and more harshly than in the past.

Of course, there could be things going on at Roadtrek, that we know nothing about, contributing to all of it.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:38 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I think his posting all the time on facebook is really unprofessional for a CEO to do. Especially since he does not have a PR person rewording and approving his posts. He is just asking for problems. Also he should be spending his time making roadtrek better, not being on facebook. I personally wouldn't buy from a company that has a CEO who is so out of touch with how to behave online, not to mention the fact that he looks like he could keel over any day now.
eurovanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:15 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I look like I could keel over any day now too. I don't think that was called for.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:36 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I look like I could keel over any day now too. I don't think that was called for.
Davyyyydddd,

Lets not bring up comments that aren't called for. Your the King!
eurovanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:08 PM   #8
Platinum Member

That discussion is still going on, and quickly turned into the typical "we love you Jim, and Roadtrek is wonderful" Facebook lovefest we see all the time there. It think it is approaching 300 comments, although many are from the same few chatterboxes. It will probably boost his confidence a bit and maybe calm things down for a while.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:13 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
That discussion is still going on, and quickly turned into the typical "we love you Jim, and Roadtrek is wonderful" Facebook lovefest we see all the time there. It think it is approaching 300 comments, although many are from the same few chatterboxes. It will probably boost his confidence a bit and maybe calm things down for a while.

I resent being called a chatterbox-although I am.-lol
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:16 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
I resent being called a chatterbox-although I am.-lol
How about "prolific conversationalist"?
Old 08-14-2015, 03:06 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
I wonder how a company CEO can devote so much time to places like Facebook, reply to messages and such, .................
I have been wondering about that, too. Being a CEO and running a company is a full time job. Now, it may be comforting to customers that the CEO is personally responding to your posts, but it must leave some customers scratching their heads.

I am surprised, at this point after some of the recent posts, that RT (1) doesn't split Facebook into 2 groups - (a) one for "Lifestyle" with posts on travel, food, aren't we having fun, etc. and (b) a "Technical" section dealing with troubleshooting, helping people understand how to use their RT, solving problems, etc. Many customer technical issues are common to many customers - having one place to post solutions would take any pressure off of factory customer service dealing with repetitive phone calls. (2) Staff each FB Group with a dedicated FB leader (not the CEO, COO, etc.). Lifestyle needs someone who is more like a camp counselor. Technical needs someone with real engineering/technical skills (backed up by the best RT staff) and, more importantly people skills, to help customers (it is called customer service for a reason). Jim and Campskunk would still be free to make guest appearances on FB. But let others deal with the day-to-day.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:45 PM   #12
Platinum Member

BobB,

Roadtreking does have its own official web page. It is minimally used. Roadtreking:The Group is not an official company page. It was created by Mike Wendland in adjunct to his Roadtreking.com website which both promote "small motorhome lifestyle" and welcome all small motorhome owners of all makes to participate.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:20 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I just ignore Jim's rants. His last post that compared the Zion to the Promaster was actually pretty informative. However when I politely disagreed with some o f his points, he started to rant. However for me bottom line for me is until they enlarge the bathroom, the Zion is a no go vs. the Travato.

It me nice if a 3rd party came out with some of the upgrades like the Zion had like Eco-Trek for the Travato. I would be looking for a 400A lithium battery package with a nice 3000W inverter to power the AC for short timeframes or other AC appliances like the MW or coffee pot. I know you can buy lithium batteries with BMS, but none of them prevent charging below freezing. Not sure why they don't include this in the BMS.
tbirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:00 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
BobB,

The Group[/b] is not an official company page.
Thank you Davyyd - I kind of forgot that reading the the FB posts.

That may the real problem. The CEO and other employees/consultants (Campskunk, Seiner?) are acting like it is - posting option & price lists before they are on the web page or, it seems, even dealers have the info, giving very exact info on how to repair technical issues, etc.

I know Jim (and Mike, Campskunk, Yan and others) is trying to be helpful to RT owners (and other RVer's) and help them with their problems and questions, but I do not think you can just join a discussion on a non-company website/FB page about the product your company makes and expect people to know you've taken your CEO hat off. When you talk about, defend, introduce new models & options, help solve problems with your product you are a spokesman for the company. On your company website or on FB.

That might be just a perception, but I learned a long time ago, "perception is reality", especially when you speak to the public.

I enjoy Mike's Roadtrekking site and this FB Group page. Lots of great info, especially basic stuff on taking care of systems, etc. and places to see. But it seems that the FB posts got onto a slippery slope somewhere along the way, with Jim started responding very directly about their technology, then new options and price lists, and no news/updates on the company website. I now read Mike's Roadtrekking website and his FB page and they seem very different now.

I just found another FB page on Mike's website! https://www.facebook.com/Roadtreking Says "All about the RV lifestyle, discovering the people and places across North America that make RV travel an adventure". Lots of chat, etc. on travel. Seems up to date with current posts. It seems like the first iteration of the FB Group page!

This is all getting confusing with Mike's website, Mike's FB page, Mike's FB Group Page, RT Website, and a lot of the same people and info on all of them. And with the name Roadtrek part of website's name, the FB pages and lots of photos of Roadtrek RVs on all the pages and websites, how can one not be confused.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:49 PM   #15
Platinum Member

I enjoy the roadtrekking facebook page. I don't know how often Jim looks at it but he does not actually post that often.

since i'm retired and when i'm not out i'm on the computer a lot i see the page a lot.

although Jims name is mentioned a lot he does not have as many posts as you would think. he's an ok guy who's running a business. in alot of ways he has become a posting friend and when he has to do negative sometimes some take offense.

I post to 'Hot Air' and race42016. those sites are heated.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:35 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I don't think he's on there much during the day. I imagine he's looking at it after dinner with a scotch in his hand.

The page is really quasi owned/controlled by Roadtrek make no bones about it. Mike is a shill, so is Campskunk. Plus all the sycophants/chatterboxes.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:52 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't think he's on there much during the day. I imagine he's looking at it after dinner with a scotch in his hand.

The page is really quasi owned/controlled by Roadtrek make no bones about it. Mike is a shill, so is Campskunk. Plus all the sycophants/chatterboxes.
how dare you call me a sycophant/chatterbox-lol
Old 08-14-2015, 11:56 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Deja-vu, or is it just my imagination.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:58 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
how dare you call me a sycophant/chatterbox-lol
Gerry, those cheeks must be sweet if you keep goin' back.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:43 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Gerry, those cheeks must be sweet if you keep goin' back.
what can i say-i drank the kool-aid