Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2016, 06:52 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default has anybody removed the rear a/c?

Hi, I have a 1997 roadtrek, and everything works great, except the rear a/c, its just a window unit built into the rear of my roadtrek..I have owned this rv for almost three years now, and have never used the rear a/c, I knew it wasn't in working condition when I bought my roadtrek. So I am thinking just to remove it and turn it into extra storage space, which would be a big bonus, not to mention all the weight I would be removing from my total weight. Just wanted to ask if anyone else has done this, or thinking about it, please let me know,, thanks,,,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:06 AM   #2
Bronze Member

I've considered pulling mine out. What has stopped me is how securely the unit is built into the roof and paneling. You might find that yours isn't hammered and screwed and caulked into a granite monolith, though; who can say?

I'm not sure about your layout, but there may well be some room on either side of your A/C unit to drill out a few cabinets. Mine has empty space on either side.
Straylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:17 AM   #3
Platinum Member

You may want to post the question on the Yahoo Roadtrek board. Several folks there have replaced the AC in the Dodges with LG units, although size is an issue and new ones may be a bit large. They would be able to tell you. I think there is even a set of written instructions. Lynn Brucker would probably be the best source. She also has some writings on Wendlund's site.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:54 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I think this might help, but it doesn't give you the replacement brand, but LG is all I have ever seen used. Right click and tell to open attachment in a new window or tab if it won't open directly.

_AC roadtrek replace from mfg.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf _AC roadtrek replace from mfg.pdf (101.4 KB, 29 views)
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:47 PM   #5
Platinum Member

thank you for your replies, I will look at the yahoo group for sure, thanks,,,,,,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote