Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2020, 02:19 AM   #1
Gold Member

Default Has anyone done a full body paint protection film

Which brand did you go with and at what cost? I had my Tesla model x done with a full body wrap and it cost a small fortune so I can imagine how much a class b will cost. However I went with the expensive stuff for the Tesla I’d consider less expensive for the rv. What are your experience?
bumpersignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:51 PM   #2
Silver Member

I didn't do a full body ... I felt that was overkill at the time. I paid $1,900 for XPEL Ultimate Plus film installed on the full hood, full fenders, front bumper, headlights, door handles, and A-pillars and a wide strip above the windscreen.

IMO you wouldn't want a cheaper film on the RV unless you were storing it indoors or consistently under a good cover. Even then, why run the risk of film failure in 5 years just to say a few hundred bucks?
BrianCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 04:05 PM   #3
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianCO View Post
I didn't do a full body ... I felt that was overkill at the time. I paid $1,900 for XPEL Ultimate Plus film installed on the full hood, full fenders, front bumper, headlights, door handles, and A-pillars and a wide strip above the windscreen.

IMO you wouldn't want a cheaper film on the RV unless you were storing it indoors or consistently under a good cover. Even then, why run the risk of film failure in 5 years just to say a few hundred bucks?
on my tesla , the full body ppf was over 6k (also xpel). if it were a matter of a few hundred, i agree it would be a no brainer.
bumpersignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 04:10 PM   #4
Silver Member

I think you'll find that the majority of the cost is not the film it's the labor hours, and those don't change regardless of the film you choose. The firm I use (I've had 4 vehicles done there and counting) offers quite a few films and the price doesn't change regardless of which you choose. YMMV based on locale and the shop you choose.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:23 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianCO View Post
The firm I use (I've had 4 vehicles done there and counting) offers quite a few films and the price doesn't change regardless of which you choose.
What company did you use for the film installation?
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:35 AM   #6
Silver Member

Kirby @ Colorado Clear Bra- https://www.bestclearbra.com/
Old 10-21-2020, 03:06 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Film is for chips, doesn’t protect the paint from fading
coss370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 03:57 AM   #8
Gold Member

Not worth it
Old 10-21-2020, 12:31 PM   #9
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coss370 View Post
Film is for chips, doesn’t protect the paint from fading
Depending on the quality of film, not really accurate regarding 'fading'. Modern PPF has UV filters and prevents acid rain and other contaminants from degrading and oxidizing the surface of the paint. PPF certainly protects against scratches and chipping as well, and ceramic coatings can be applied over most of the high quality films to further enhance all those propeties.

As for the value proposition, that's certainly relative to each owner and use case. Clearly some people feel it is worth it.

I'd also suggest that owners do some research into the paint on their rig and then determine their best protection plan for their needs, use case and budget. Fun fact: Mercedes uses single-stage paint for non-metallic colors such as Arctic White, meaning no clear coat
Old 10-21-2020, 06:01 PM   #10
Platinum Member

My first Model X had it. I then got a second one and didn't do it. As my luck would have it, I butt dialed my remote and open my trunk into a closed garage door. It caused a foot long gouge that the PPF might have protected it.....

I was looking at doing PPF in some of the easier areas. How the hell do I get to that area above the windshield? I can't stand on the hood or the base of the windshield?
Old 10-21-2020, 09:06 PM   #11
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coss370 View Post
How the hell do I get to that area above the windshield? I can't stand on the hood or the base of the windshield?
I honestly don't know, I never considered it. I guess you could lay on the roof and work from above if you don't have a scaffold or something wide enough to go over the hood.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:18 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Tom Cruise Missing Impossible style it appears
Old 10-28-2020, 02:57 PM   #13
Silver Member

Default Cautionary Tale about Clear Masks/Bras

The question in my mind would be, has the evolution of the Clear Masks and Bras for automotive or RV application greatly advanced over the past 10 years?

Our previous RV was a 2012 Itasca Reyo 25T. It came with the option of a clear mask from the manufacturer CDI. Despite frequent washings, after the RV got to be 5-6 years old, it no longer stood up to the scourge of Florida lovebugs. Instead of a clear mask, was a mask with brown indentations from the dead bugs. No matter how I tried to clean and get the bugs off the mask, I couldn't get entirely rid of the brown spots. When I went to trade the RV in for our current Class B, the dealership wanted to charge me $1500 to remove the shields (just front mask, not whole body). I should have let them do it because it took me almost 100 hours to remove the shield with Ugly Shield Remover. The result was good with no scratches to the paint but I wouldn't do it again. When I called Winnebago to complain, the told me the warranty was only for 3 years.

So, I am dubious of the benefit of any clear mask or bra beyond a warranty period unless someone can demonstrate the substantial progress in the product in the last 10 years - and you probably don't want to go through the hassle or cost of removing a shield.

Ray B.
Ormond-by-the-Sea, Florida
Ray B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:01 PM   #14
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray B View Post
The question in my mind would be, has the evolution of the Clear Masks and Bras for automotive or RV application greatly advanced over the past 10 years?
Everything has advanced in the last 10 years. But, honestly, without knowing the exact film that was used it's impossible to offer any concrete comparison, film to film. From the warranty period, it sounds like you had a mid-tier 3M film. They are known for doing exactly what you describe, and it's well-known dealers will take the cheapest route they can to check a box.

Modern self-healing films offer 10 year warranty periods. I personally prefer to have a film to replace than a front end that is jacked up from rock chips, scratches, etc starting as soon as you drive it. But that's just my preferences and priorities. I wouldn't want a product with a short life-span either.

As a point of reference, I have a 2013 red hot-hatch with 90k miles on it, and had Xpel installed on it new. The front end looks brand new and the film clear as glass.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:28 PM   #15
Silver Member

Thanks for the info Brian.

According to Winnebago the manufacturer of the film was "CDI". 10-yr warranty is much better, but I would still wonder if the film would fail after 10 years. My Class B Pleasure-Way Plateau is also a 2012, and I just went out and inspected it and there are a couple of dings but I would bet to refinish those professionally would cost less than the removal of an old shield and application of a new one. I'll stand pat but that's just me.
Ray B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:36 PM   #16
Silver Member

Hiya Ray.

Yup! Personal preference, driving style and use case is always king on decisions like this. It's good to have options!