Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2020, 10:01 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
From the communication perspective our classification of recreation vehicles motorhomes using single letter acronyms A, B or C could be just too narrow. One letter and everyone packs their view into it and there are no means for definition spill overs, folks have even problems with the second digit of +.

Europe has more explicit nomenclature, actual words with some detail. Very often I called my vehicle a campervan, I guess it is residual from my VW Westfalia times, 45 years ago I don’t recall ever calling my camper van a B.
https://wheelingit.us/2018/09/16/10-...r-from-us-rvs/

History of B:

"The First Class B?
“Prototypes of every Class of motorhome sprang forth in the first two decades of the 20th Century,” according to Al, but the first sound claim to a Class B was the 1968 Xplorer made by Ray Frank, the pioneer manufacturer who changed the “house car” intro a true van motorhome or van camper. It was actually built on a cutaway chassis like the Roadtrek 200 rather than beginning life as a complete van (like the Roadtrek 170 / 190 /210 models). However, it was a van chassis and not a truck. For more info on the Xplorer click here. Its only competitor at the time was a tent-roof unit based on the underpowered VW Microbus, which lacked the motorhome amenities necessary to make it a true Class B. (You have not truly lived until you have had a VW Microbus engine meltdown on the PA Turnpike, filling the vehicle with blue smoke just before engine seizure. — Roger adds.)
"

https://rvlifestyle.com/visit-rv-museum-class-bs-start/

And its important to point out the obvious;

You don't need a Campervan, B+ or Trailer label to have experienced an engine meltdown in a vehicle 45 years ago.

But then again, most of us here can dress a Deer, change a Tire in less than 5 minutes & plant a vegetable garden without having to download an Application to do so.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:13 PM   #42
Platinum Member

Well my first campervan was a 1968 Chevy long passenger van I bought in 1970 for the express purpose of packing up my family in NewPort, RI to travel first to Indianapolis and then on to Minnesota when I mustered out of the US Navy. I bought it from a convent and being on a peninsula on an Island I doubted it ever got over 40 mph. When I hit 65-70 on the Pennsylvania turnpike all hell broke loose, belts, hoses and all.

I spent the summer in a parking lot putting in a plywood floor, window curtains, a built in refrigerator (actually an upright 12V cooler) and rudimentary beds.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:19 PM   #43
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Well my first campervan was a 1968 Chevy long passenger van I bought in 1970 for the express purpose of packing up my family in NewPort, RI to travel first to Indianapolis and then on to Minnesota when I mustered out of the US Navy. I bought it from a convent and being on a peninsula on an Island I doubted it ever got over 40 mph. When I hit 65-70 on the Pennsylvania turnpike all hell broke loose, belts, hoses and all.

I spent the summer in a parking lot putting in a plywood floor, window curtains, a built in refrigerator (actually an upright 12V cooler) and rudimentary beds.
And I bet you had the best of times with your young family. Same with us and our popup camper when our 2 boys were young. We "graduated" to a 5th wheel (two actually) until the kids got older and didn't want to go anymore. THen no RV for several years before wife and I got the B. Looking back, we would have been better with a B, putting kids in a tent when they got too old to sleep on converted seats. Could have visited many more neat places.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:39 PM   #44
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post

Congratulation, your conversion could be the oldest on this forum. Regarding your refrigerator, was it absorption, compressor or Peltier?
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 02:30 AM   #45
Platinum Member

Here is link to some of the B-Box RVs from Europe. It was posted by Steve in a comment on the ARV B Box video. Mike Neundorfer has attended the big RV trade shows in Europe. Looks like he picked up some good ideas.

https://www.woelcke.de/fahrzeug-galerie.html
Old 08-29-2020, 01:44 PM   #46
Platinum Member

In the latest ARV newsletter there was a factory photo with five cab/chassis on the floor waiting for conversion.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 03:23 PM   #47
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Here is link to some of the B-Box RVs from Europe. It was posted by Steve in a comment on the ARV B Box video. Mike Neundorfer has attended the big RV trade shows in Europe. Looks like he picked up some good ideas.

https://www.woelcke.de/fahrzeug-galerie.html

Maybe the "stealth" fad is wearing off and now the "expedition" look is coming in vogue. At least is not mega-swoopy graphics.

Actually to me, appearance is a lesser thing to worry about than utility which is what it is all about. Same for me with openness vs storage, storage always wins.

The goal for use is the take a nice long trip and not get home and say "I wish we had" or "I wish this or that was easier more convenient to do". Impossible goal, but we are getting closer.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote