Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2020, 02:31 AM   #41

Yes, I still have the unit in the garage. I did continuity checks on the fuses, and the wires to the control panel above the fridge door (the mice had done a little chewing on the outer casing), but everything tested OK. Hope I didn't do anything during the cleaning process .

My electronics knowledge is very limited, but I do understand basic electricity, power is definitely getting to the main box at the back of the fridge, but not the on/off control panel at the top of the fridge.

Am I right in assuming that the unit should turn on when plugged in even though it is in the garage?

The burping was very short as I didn't hear any gurgling at all. I think I was too anxious to see if it would turn back on.

Tried calling the Dometic technical help line, but was number 26 in line and waited 1/2 hr to no avail. Will try again tomorrow.
Arvie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 03:17 AM   #42
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvie1 View Post
Yes, I still have the unit in the garage. I did continuity checks on the fuses, and the wires to the control panel above the fridge door (the mice had done a little chewing on the outer casing), but everything tested OK. Hope I didn't do anything during the cleaning process .

My electronics knowledge is very limited, but I do understand basic electricity, power is definitely getting to the main box at the back of the fridge, but not the on/off control panel at the top of the fridge.

Am I right in assuming that the unit should turn on when plugged in even though it is in the garage?

The burping was very short as I didn't hear any gurgling at all. I think I was too anxious to see if it would turn back on.

Tried calling the Dometic technical help line, but was number 26 in line and waited 1/2 hr to no avail. Will try again tomorrow.
If you know what a continuity check is, you are way ahead of me.

Yes, it should work if its on AC.

Go to the trouble of burping it properly for 24-48 hours IF you want to keep the fridge - used in a stationary position, hooked up to a Cabin type environment, you could get another 10 years or more out it.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:02 PM   #43
Platinum Member

What is the latest Arvie?
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 08-27-2020, 12:45 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
What is the latest Arvie?
My DW suggested that maybe the fridge needs to be hooked up to DC as well as AC...she was right!

Talked to the Dometic tech this morning who thought that it may be the main board, but when she found out that it was only hooked up to AC, she said that it needs both. Apparently the circuit boards and the lights on the fridge work off 12volt DC. Who knew? She sent me an entire tech manual for the unit.

Had some appointments today, so will hook up to DC tomorrow and hope for the best!

Cheers and thanks for your interest and help.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:19 PM   #45

Quote:
My DW suggested that maybe the fridge needs to be hooked up to DC as well as AC...she was right!

Talked to the Dometic tech this morning who thought that it may be the main board, but when she found out that it was only hooked up to AC, she said that it needs both. Apparently the circuit boards and the lights on the fridge work off 12volt DC. Who knew? She sent me an entire tech manual for the unit.

Had some appointments today, so will hook up to DC tomorrow and hope for the best!

Cheers and thanks for your interest and help.
Good morning all,

I took the coach battery out of the RT and hooked it up to the fridge, along with the AC power (fridge is still in the garage)

Presto....we have power!! I'm doing a cooling test now, and will burp it properly afterwards, before re-installing.

It hasn't been quite the Highway to Hell, but I do have to remember AC/DC if I do this again!
Old 08-27-2020, 04:46 PM   #46
Platinum Member

Quote:
Good morning all,

I took the coach battery out of the RT and hooked it up to the fridge, along with the AC power (fridge is still in the garage)

Presto....we have power!! I'm doing a cooling test now, and will burp it properly afterwards, before re-installing.

It hasn't been quite the Highway to Hell, but I do have to remember AC/DC if I do this again!
You helped all of us with your post, who would have thought.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:59 PM   #47
Platinum Member

Good post.
k1hog is offline   Reply With Quote