Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2020, 07:27 PM   #21
Platinum Member

k1 – I should have looked closer at your pictures. Our van has a larger fridge next to the toilet enclosure.

I think you have to pull the fridge out.

Maybe you could drill weep holes into the storage compartment. Of course that just moves the problem. Coat the wood with epoxy.
rtbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:20 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Please pull out the fridge.

It's a necessary task.

Everyone is correct.

Then drill some holes at the bottom so any water that comes in, can drain out onto the road.

Your unit must NOT BE SEALED UP, not only are you trapping heat & negatively affecting the fridge performance there are safety concerns.

It needs air at the base & the upper grill to vent.

Remove the seal asap.*

What make & model fridge?

Perhaps it's been replaced & some idiot decided to modify the system.

*you might have a DC Fridge for all we know.

My original suspicion stands, a leak higher up in the roof, gutter rail or that window or, a 4 cent condensation pipe that broke off.

Again, remove the seal immediately & let air circulation take place, cooler at the bottom & the heated air rising.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:23 PM   #23
Platinum Member

The frig is the original 3 way.
k1hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:36 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Turn off the propane.

Burn off the excess gas through the stove.

Disconnect the gas line & the 12 volt, pull the plug.

Unscrew the two to four screws that hold the frame to the coach cabinet.

Pull the unit out.

What model is it, an RM2354?

Has it performed well for you? Do you always park level when its operating?

If not, while it is out, you might as well "BURP" the unit & there are plenty of videos on YouTube explaining as such.

The water did NOT come through the grills unless your RV was lying on its side or on a slope with the drivers side at a minimum 30% angle. These rigs are designed to be driven at high speeds in the rain.

Heat from the flame, water leaking inside the unit, no air flow = driving around inside a test tube of Mould, even worse, Black Mould.

If your unit has been performing well until now, don't burp it but 16 years is a long time between burps for a Dometic 3 Way.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 08-13-2020, 06:58 PM   #25

I have a 2000 200 popular with the same dang problem. I have sealed any possible holes with silicone. Still comes in and when just sitting level. I will look for a drain but I am not sure that is the problem. Collected over 2 gallons of water in the grey tank from this. yikes.
rjlarsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:23 PM   #26
Platinum Member

I can only imagine both of you have a roof, window, gutter leak.

At the same time, there are both the need for fridge venting & the safety concerns.

If you check the Dometic manual, it might prove enlightening.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:39 PM   #27
Platinum Member

I resealed the window above the frig and the frig access door trim. After all the great input from the forum folks, I looked at the big picture. The frig is located over the bay with the frig bottom cabinet being the same as the bay top, no place for any type of vent. I read the frig install manual and it speaks of a drain hose, I found the hose, it was just laying against the rear of the frig, any water that came out of the hose would come out under the frig into the RT. I routed the hose out to the outside through the access door. I have seen this in other rv's over the years.

When the rain came in, the rain was a down pour, the RT was leaning to the passenger side and to the front.

I also resealed the roof fantastic fan.

I hope all the sealing and the relocation of the frig drain hose will make a end to the problem.

In the future I will make sure the RT is LEVEL.

I will advise how it all works out.

Again thanks all for the information.

Johnnie
k1hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:49 PM   #28

This is my first reply, so hopefully I do this right! We too, have a similar leak after 12 years with no problems in our '07/08 RT 190P. The difference is that it is a reddish brown fluid with an odd smell. The Dometic RM2354 is working fine, but the leak comes from on top of the fridge, down the edges onto the floor. In speaking with a RT mechanic he thinks it may be rain getting in through the upper vent behind the unit. he was quite baffled by the problem and suggests removing the fridge. (RT is in an outdoor storage mostly so weather co-relation is difficult).
After removing cutlery drawer, wet looking splash marks are visible on the sloped part at the back of the opening which is close to the outside steel venting. Does anyone know if the louvre can be removed for further inspection as it seems very secure?
I have enjoyed reading the Class B Forums for some time. Thank you all for sharing your experiences and knowledge.
Arvie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:13 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbill View Post
The fridge vents tilt inward, when enough water builds up they overflow into the compartment. There is probably some leakage around the sides of the vent panels as well.

Yes, my Pleasure Way uses same as bottom vent at top and bottom- water gets in when washing or a good sideways wind.

I have a drain......but check for blockage from mud dauber wasps- they are a real issue with drains and vents.
they have even blocked my home AC condensate

( and Harley forums mention the transmission vent tube!)
Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:10 AM   #30
Platinum Member

The symptoms you are describing is from washing the rig or having it hit by a lawn sprinkler.

Nothing more sinister.

Unless you drive long distances in the rain solely on the passenger side wheels.

And a dysfunctional condensation hose.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:42 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
The symptoms you are describing is from washing the rig or having it hit by a lawn sprinkler.

Nothing more sinister.

Unless you drive long distances in the rain solely on the passenger side wheels.

And a dysfunctional condensation hose.
Thank you for your reply. Good ideas. The thing is that I have not experienced the problem in real time. It has only been observed when I pick up the RT from the storage facility where it has been sitting outside for several weeks.

I did check the condensate drain and around the window and gutters, which both seem ok. It has not shown any leakage after washing or previously driving in heavy rain. I will check the roof vent tomorrow as it is supposed to rain tonight and see if anything happens.

I did install a MaxxAir II vent cover last September, but it is bolted onto the aluminum frame of the Fantastic Fan. Hopefully it is not the problem as it's a great addition.

Thank you for your thoughts and ideas.
Old 08-19-2020, 05:25 PM   #32

Default Still nothing

Well we had a wicked storm two days ago with heavy rain and wind from every direction. Still no evidence of that reddish brown fluid. See original post #28.

It remains a mystery! We did try a scope camera from the outside vent, but did not show anything.The van is in the driveway, so I checked it often for leaking.

I thinking that the next step is to remove the fridge and investigate. The manual indicates that a 5th screw is at the back right corner at the bottom of the fridge. In looking there from the outside, I cannot see anything. Does anyone know if it exists, or did RT omit it when installed. (Dometic RM2354)

Many thanks
Old 08-19-2020, 05:58 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvie1 View Post
This is my first reply, so hopefully I do this right! We too, have a similar leak after 12 years with no problems in our '07/08 RT 190P. The difference is that it is a reddish brown fluid with an odd smell. The Dometic RM2354 is working fine, but the leak comes from on top of the fridge, down the edges onto the floor. In speaking with a RT mechanic he thinks it may be rain getting in through the upper vent behind the unit. he was quite baffled by the problem and suggests removing the fridge. (RT is in an outdoor storage mostly so weather co-relation is difficult).
After removing cutlery drawer, wet looking splash marks are visible on the sloped part at the back of the opening which is close to the outside steel venting. Does anyone know if the louvre can be removed for further inspection as it seems very secure?
I have enjoyed reading the Class B Forums for some time. Thank you all for sharing your experiences and knowledge.
I believe those splash marks are only from;

1. Washing the rig especially as you describe them being on the back of the cutlery drawer.

Even in a full storm like you experienced but no water spouts, the water isn't going to come in those vents sideways unless driving at 180% to the rain (still not a factor), OR more likely, spray from vehicles traveling past you in either direction.

Or the Lawn Sprinkler - nothing else makes sense.

2. Water dripping down from above but this seems unlikely.

As to finding a 5th screw, welcome to the Joy's of RV Ownership versus the Brochure.

My unit did not have a 5th screw.

But it did have a drain.

Whereas someone else didn't have even a drain which might have been a modification by a previous owner.
Old 08-20-2020, 02:47 PM   #34

Thank you. I will try removing the fridge to see what's up. It's such a perplexing intermittent problem.

I certainly would welcome any advice on the removal and re-installing of the unit.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:33 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank you. I will try removing the fridge to see what's up. It's such a perplexing intermittent problem.

I certainly would welcome any advice on the removal and re-installing of the unit.
Removing the unit is actually as I described - its not difficult at all

4-5 screws

Capping the Gas Opening.

And some pulling & pushing.

Put a very thick blanket on the couch/dinette area because once its in the hallway, you might aa well burp it for 24-48 hours.

Or take it out the side doors.

Its not difficult at all.

Sane with reinstall.
Old 08-22-2020, 12:39 AM   #36

Thank you MD. I will keep you posted. Taking it out this weekend
Old 08-22-2020, 12:55 AM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank you MD. I will keep you posted. Taking it out this weekend
Go on youtube, learn how to burp it, butp it for 24-48 hours - see jlhoe it works plugged in after burping.

You man not needa new fridge.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:01 PM   #38
Platinum Member

if I was up there or wherever you are, I would be helping you do this as I now have a Black Belt in Dometic Removal & its relatively easy.

The burping happened immediately, lots of noise, think Senior Bingo Night, after a Meal of Bean Milkshakes & the cook forgot to use the L Lactose Free Milk.

The unit has been in a cabin now for 3 weeks performing flawlessly.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:26 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
if I was up there or wherever you are, I would be helping you do this as I now have a Black Belt in Dometic Removal & its relatively easy.

The burping happened immediately, lots of noise, think Senior Bingo Night, after a Meal of Bean Milkshakes & the cook forgot to use the L Lactose Free Milk.

The unit has been in a cabin now for 3 weeks performing flawlessly.
Hello Dr. Black Belt,

Thank you for your most entertaining response. Your assistance would have been welcome.

Well I got the fridge out, with some definite persuasion. There was no 5th screw, but the bottom front was not budging. A crow bar lift along the bottom front edge was successful in snapping a hidden long bead of silicone gluing it to the floor of the fridge cavity.

The BIG surprise though was before I removed the fridge. I removed the control panel first, and staring me in the face was the real problem... not rain, but a mouse house!!

Remember, this reddish brown fluid first started appearing last fall and through the winter
They had scratched away half of the insulation and made their nest on top of the unit. Thank goodness that the fridge is very well sealed around the front preventing them from getting into the rest of the RV, but I still don't remember putting up a For Rent sign!

I put the sofa into bed position, and got the fridge out through the back doors. I spent considerable time cleaning up the mess and reassembling everything, but had a big disappointment. The fridge would not power up when I plugged it into shore power to test it before re-installing it. The control panel lights did not come on.

Am I missing something? What did I do wrong? The fridge was working fine before I took it out.

Maybe I should be posting these issues on a new thread regarding the fridge problem and mouse prevention. I figure the mice got in around the gas line that comes through the 1/4 inch screening so I will fix that area.

Thank you for your thoughts and comments.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:08 PM   #40
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hello Dr. Black Belt,

Thank you for your most entertaining response. Your assistance would have been welcome.

Well I got the fridge out, with some definite persuasion. There was no 5th screw, but the bottom front was not budging. A crow bar lift along the bottom front edge was successful in snapping a hidden long bead of silicone gluing it to the floor of the fridge cavity.

The BIG surprise though was before I removed the fridge. I removed the control panel first, and staring me in the face was the real problem... not rain, but a mouse house!!

Remember, this reddish brown fluid first started appearing last fall and through the winter
They had scratched away half of the insulation and made their nest on top of the unit. Thank goodness that the fridge is very well sealed around the front preventing them from getting into the rest of the RV, but I still don't remember putting up a For Rent sign!

I put the sofa into bed position, and got the fridge out through the back doors. I spent considerable time cleaning up the mess and reassembling everything, but had a big disappointment. The fridge would not power up when I plugged it into shore power to test it before re-installing it. The control panel lights did not come on.

Am I missing something? What did I do wrong? The fridge was working fine before I took it out.

Maybe I should be posting these issues on a new thread regarding the fridge problem and mouse prevention. I figure the mice got in around the gas line that comes through the 1/4 inch screening so I will fix that area.

Thank you for your thoughts and comments.
I didn't suggest Rodent Infestation because then it sounds daunting - i don't know why its not working.

Is it still out?

Check all the fuses?

Try connecting it, with a fuse, to a 12 volt battery, outside.

Did you burp it?

That screening is the drain I was describing.