Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2020, 05:49 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Height of Class B's including solar panels and such

I plan on modifying one of the openings of an existing garage bay in a pole barn. My class B is about 9' 1" at the fantastic fan. I'm not planning of buying a new B right now but want to plan for the future and want to be sure a different configuration would fit.

What are some heights of your B's?

Dave
DaveBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:39 PM   #2
Platinum Member

2006 pleasure way lexor on a chev, stock suspension height and wheels ( some raise the vehicle)

originally my highest point(s) were the TV antenna and the a/c at 8'10"

I put a maxair type scoop over my vent and am now at 9'4"

used laser to extend mark, and measured from that, added a couple of inches

labeled on side view mirror and sun visor

Mike

* my brother in law KNEW he could cruise thru his local drive thru- done it many times...until he tore a hole in his roof
they'd done some work on the building
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 07:31 PM   #3
Platinum Member

9' 11'' on paper. Probably an inch shorter actual.
@Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 07:43 PM   #4
Site Team

Ours is a measured 9' 9".
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:14 PM   #5
Platinum Member

My Airstream Avenue is listed in brochure specs as 9'3". I've never done it, but I want to go to a local bank drive-thru, measure their 9'-10" height bar (for accuracy) and then drive under and measure clearance so I have a true height on my van.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0121.jpg (198.7 KB, 9 views)
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:16 PM   #6
Site Team

Just tape a level onto a broomstick, hold one end at the high point, and have your SO measure the distance from the other end to the driveway.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:25 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Because I like doing things the hard way.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:27 AM   #8
Gold Member

9' 6"

Another consideration is future changes to the floor/apron at the doorway.
GroupB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:53 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Default Thanks All

Thanks All, Good Numbers. I put a label of the height on my dash because I was always forgetting.
DaveBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:55 PM   #10
Platinum Member

If you have a rooftop air conditioner that will probably be the high point of a Class B. I haven't seen any Class B's over 10 feet but there may be some exceptions out there. I haven't seen any MB Sprinter high roof under 9 feet. I figure 10 feet is the dimension you should worry about on the highways and 9 feet or less in drive under or through canopies. Most drive through canopies such as McDonalds, Sonic, etc. are at 9 feet.

Class Cs or B+ if you want to say it, or cab chassis RVs if you will, are generally over 10 feet high.

I don't need a reminder on my dash. 10 feet is simple enough and just don't go under or through any canopies. When I see a 10 foot clearance sign I think twice, use caution, and wonder if accurate. Parking garages are naturally out. Most are 7 foot or lower. There are a few exceptions in parking garages and canopies but you should know about them in advance.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:36 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Davidd, Is correct with 10'-foot, I have checked on this very subject and 4x4 Coachmen Galleria comes in a 9'-11", So I have not found any commercial up fitters that go higher than that excluding, racks, Ladders, Radio antennas. Eazy to find by just checking the specks on many of the websites. Now if your thinking Class B + than is really a small class C and are not Bs.

My crazy reason for wanting to know had to do with getting out of the van in cold weather. I have a big hate of cold weather, thank s to the U.S. Military.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:52 PM   #12
Gold Member

Are you custom building doors? Otherwise you may also be limited to standard door sizes. My E-Trek says 9'6" but I don't pull under anything that does not say 10'. The downside is just too big.
Old 07-05-2020, 05:37 PM   #13
Platinum Member

My 2018 Travato 59K is just about right on 9'-6", tires inflated proper. I have a roll up door on my shop where this RV is parked that with the door up, provides the full 10 foot concrete to top of opening available to drive through. But of course I always look to make sure the door is fully in the up position before backing out or driving in. Other brands and models will vary. Nice thing about the Travato is the front wheel drive RAM Promaster does not have a prop shaft (driveline) under the vehicle which can affect the overall height of the vehicle. If your travels include some off pavement driving that you cannot predict what the surface will be like, then a FORD Transit or MERCEDES Sprinter (2 or 4WD) based Class B might be your better choice. Assuming your looking at new Class B's which are largely based on these three chassis with extended height roofs that allow 6 foot tall folks to stand up inside most of the coach. Some bathrooms on the side wall usually have some added height limitation. Just requires some research as you look at what is available. Too bad the dealers do not have a flexible marker, adjustable height check device on a pole. Simple weighted rope on pulley so that it always returns to too-high position when rope is let go. Now that would be an RV dealer that thinks about customers!

Sales people or anybody else at the dealer won't know and won't want to be pinned down to anything beyond what a brochure states at best, which may not be actual on the model and options you look at.
Storysrvwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:08 PM   #14
Bronze Member

We have a 2016 Sportsmobile Sprinter in the 3500 long wheelbase extended length body. It does not have 4wd, which would add 4 inches. As originally configured, it had a roof a/c, a Fantastic Fan, and a WInegard Rayzar Automatic TV antenna. The highest point was the A/c unit. On standard size tires, fully loaded but no passengers, it was measured to be 9 feet 8 inches to the top of the a/c unit. Since then, we added a Fantastic Fan vent cover. I haven't measured it, but standing on a ladder next to the van at roof level it looks to be about 2 inches taller than the a/c unit. If faced with a 10 foot clearance, I'd proceed with caution.
mechmike10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:59 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCLE View Post
Are you custom building doors? Otherwise you may also be limited to standard door sizes. My E-Trek says 9'6" but I don't pull under anything that does not say 10'. The downside is just too big.

Depending on the doors you get, you may find only standard sizes, most likely at home centers.

If you go with a door supplier provided door, you can get most any width and height you want, within reason. When I reheadered our 8' doors with 10' ceiling, I was able to get right at the 9' 3" max that I could get to work with an opener and low headroom kit, and still squeeze it under the 10' ceiling. Since it is also my workshop and vehicle shop and we live in Minnesota, I also opted for the 2" thick urethane foam insulated version which has nearly the same R value as the 6" garage walls
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:24 PM   #16
Platinum Member

mecmike10 -
Good advise!

In the case of the WINNEBAGO Travato; WB installs a MAXAIR fan. When it is open, it is roughly 3 to 4 inches lower than the COLEMAN AC unit on our 2018 model. I don't imagine the eventhe latest, higher efficiency AC unit used today is much different. In my case, the AC unit would get damaged, perhaps ripped off the roof before anything else gets damaged up there. The rubber duck AM/FM antenna actually pokes a bit higher than the AC but it's likely to stand a fair amount of low speed abuse before it gets damaged.
Storysrvwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:27 AM   #17
Platinum Member

My solar panels are vaulted above the air conditioner and I'm a hair under 10 feet.

My config is rare. Most Bs with raised solar panels don't have them raised this much.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 04:17 PM   #18

Our 2010 Roadtrek Agile is nominally 9'7" although by my measurement it is 9'8". It just fits the 10' opening of the garage door. The opening is an inch or two under 10' when the door is raised. Suffice to say, it's a tight fit.
Blue Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 09:28 PM   #19

I think the Winnebago Solis with the pop top and without the AC will fit in an 9" opening.

karl
karlstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 02:40 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Our Beyond came in at 9'9". A lot depends on the specific A/C unit chosen. Just a tip-- if you decide to measure a unit, take a 4' level instead of a stick. We measured both ways and the difference was surprising.
JonMN is offline   Reply With Quote