Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2021, 05:09 PM   #101
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Transits can be ordered with dual alternators from the factory. With this option, you can take off more than 200A directly from the chassis electrical system without modifications.

As DavyDD says, you need to be careful idling with a diesel, but it can be done within limits. Idling gasoline engines is not problematic. I also find that I do enough driving each day that idling is almost never necessary.

The above is part of the reason why my next rig will likely be a petrol Transit.
The Transits have dual 250 amp alternators installed from the factory if you order the chassis from Ford. The second one comes with its own fuse/distribution center. I have confirmed idling for extended time periods is not a problem with the 350HP 3.5 Ecoboost engine.
A lot of the B's have an aftermarket alternator made by Nations that have problems chewing belts. You need to check with the chassis VIN what equipment is installed from the factory if you want the Ford alternator.
2018 Coachmen Galleria 24Q
Kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:26 PM   #102
Platinum Member

In the last 4 years, I have never found the need to idle our Sprinter to charge batteries as long as we drive 20-30 min or more per day which we almost always do anyway. The only time I have ever idled is for 2-3 min while we use our Keurig coffeemaker or microwave which works great to almost completely replace the battery power that we used to make coffee, etc..

I have a Nations Starter alternator that has worked perfect for us. We ordered our Sprinter with the bracket for this alternator. I do carry an extra belt for it but have never needed it. I wouldn't blink an eye to use the same second alternator again.

The most important thing for us with our cheap AGM battery bank is to use electricity wisely. For example, we have a fairly small compressor refrigerator that has a very low electrical draw. There is no need for us to have a months worth of cold food and drinks in a big refrigerator sucking up electrical power while we travel. At home I may have a case or two of pop and beer in the refrigerator but this isn't necessary while traveling. It takes me 10 seconds to add 8-10 cans of drinks from the closet into the refrigerator at the end of the day to minimize our refrigerator needs. It would have been foolish or us to spend thousands of dollars on lithium batteries and a big refrigerator so we can have 2 weeks worth of ice instead of 1 ice tray, etc..
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote