Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2018, 01:46 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Hey, I'm relaxed cuz I drive a Chevy gasser.

Since the DEF is an emission systems component, isn't the warranty for repairs substantially longer than the regular chassis and engine/powertrain warranty?
100,000 miles and 5 years for DEF issues and engine/powertrain. Non issue for me because I don't plan to keep my B that long and I had DEF repairs at 49,000 miles which turned out to be not a DEF issue but an electrical issue. 0 cost.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:13 PM   #42
Site Team

I agree that the warranty is ample. My concern isn't cost, it is hassle. Having once experienced the dread "10 starts remaining" state, I will forever feel like I am driving with a Sword of Damocles hanging over our vacations. The low density of MB dealers in most of the country and their long wait times don't help either.

I don't mean to exaggerate the issue, and I believe that the latest gen of sensors has improved in reliability, but still...
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:28 PM   #43
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I agree that the warranty is ample. My concern isn't cost, it is hassle. Having once experienced the dread "10 starts remaining" state, I will forever feel like I am driving with a Sword of Damocles hanging over our vacations. The low density of MB dealers in most of the country and their long wait times don't help either.

I don't mean to exaggerate the issue, and I believe that the latest gen of sensors has improved in reliability, but still...

I completely agree with you Avanti. Its not costs, its the hassle and uncertainty.

After having experienced the whole issue myself, I intend to do anything I can to avoid issues in the future. This isn't just a Sprinter problem its a diesel emissions control problem. My Sprinter, my Ford truck and then my brother had the same issues with his Chevy pickup.

I think these are all awesome vehicles, but we are learning to deal with a different set of issues now that DEF has been thrown into the mix.
Olbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:30 PM   #44
Platinum Member

I still hope that Free Piston technology will deliver a small, efficient generator for RV needs. Here is a small power plant based on free piston technology but using interesting full expansion cycle for thermodynamic efficiency http://www.etagen.com/technology/ More promising than overhyped fuel cells
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:05 PM   #45
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
I still hope that Free Piston technology will deliver a small, efficient generator for RV needs. Here is a small power plant based on free piston technology but using interesting full expansion cycle for thermodynamic efficiency http://www.etagen.com/technology/ More promising than overhyped fuel cells
X2 and more.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:40 PM   #46
Gold Member

This may be a reality soon....https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300587503.html
angelmroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:36 AM   #47
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
"PW is still installing 3 way fridges rather than compressor units which in this day and age seems questionable. When queried, they tout the 3 way unit as the most flexible."

That will change, probably very soon - before years end.

Bud

You have inside information? I’m guessing PW will launch their 2019 models in summer (all their videos seem shot in summer)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Technomadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:41 AM   #48
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Compressor frigs certainly take more power than a propane unit, but I think a lot of folks overestimate how much it really is. We have had ours since long before it was fashionable or in mainstream models (Isotherm 3.1CF in a Roadtrek C190P).

Many of us are optimistically hoping that a low output 100-300 watt, silent, generator system that runs of the vehicle fuel will show up (linear generators are one) soon.

Solar is what the industry is missing. They are charging around $2,500 for about $250 worth of panels. They could charge $4000 and put in 600w if they wanted to and that would be a game changer. They just need to clean up their roofs.... which right now they seem over eager to put holes in anyway.

Do you know if anyone making commercial linear generators now?

Old 02-20-2018, 02:46 AM   #49
Platinum Member

No commercially available linear ones yet, that I know of anyway. One of the big questions if they do get to market, I think, is if they will make small ones for near continuous charging like we have been talking about, or if they will be larger. A lot of information like that posted earlier by another poster seems to be slanted to industrial size units, which may be the first to market.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:49 AM   #50
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa;67839Here is a small power plant based on free piston technology but using interesting full expansion cycle for thermodynamic efficiency [url
http://www.etagen.com/technology/[/url] More promising than overhyped fuel cells

Very interesting. Fuel Cells have failed to overcome the development hurdles to become practical. This linear generator is a very simple design (though I wonder what fuel is combustible with air spring pressure.) But even if it can work there’s a lot of effort to bring it to market.

I know if some inventions from 30 years ago that still aren’t on the market because despite the early hope of solving the problems engineering reality is they aren’t yet practical.

Old 02-20-2018, 03:10 AM   #51
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technomadness View Post
Very interesting. Fuel Cells have failed to overcome the development hurdles to become practical. This linear generator is a very simple design (though I wonder what fuel is combustible with air spring pressure.) But even if it can work there’s a lot of effort to bring it to market.

I know if some inventions from 30 years ago that still aren’t on the market because despite the early hope of solving the problems engineering reality is they aren’t yet practical.

No combustion, just chemical reaction of propane gas with oxygen –
C3H8 + 5O2 (6 moles = 6 x 22.4l) = 3CO2 + 4H2O (7 moles = 7 x 22.4l) = 17% the higher volume plus higher temperature due to exothermic reaction drives pistons apart.

This is just my recollection from my younger years and assumes ideal gases, I am sure it is more complex.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:40 AM   #52
Platinum Member

Default Help me find a good class B or B+

My current shortlist-
Winnebago Travato G
Pleasure Way Lexor - the new FL seems perfect
RoadTrek Zion SRT - love the short models
ROADtrek Simplicity SRT - love the short models
Leisure Travel Vans Libero
Pre-2010 Sprinters from Pleasure Way and Leisure Travel (just about any floorplan.)
Dynamax Rev - has the Truma Combi. Engineer part of me hates having two propane furnaces. Though ideally would like an espar in a pre-2010 Sprinter.

Not considering:
Hymer Activ 1 & 2 - don’t think I can abide a cassette toilet.

Old 02-20-2018, 03:01 PM   #53
Platinum Member

Good Luck finding a used Libero... they are a rare breed. It took my dealer in MN only a couple weeks to sell it to a couple who flew from Texas to snatch it up. LOL But a good choice nonetheless...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:31 PM   #54
Gold Member

Like you, mumkin, BIG fan of the Libero. Just too attached to my present Coach to make the switch
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9BB360B0-5BF0-4670-BFCD-663C2CDF4C95.jpeg (199.2 KB, 19 views)
angelmroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:22 PM   #55
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Good Luck finding a used Libero... they are a rare breed. It took my dealer in MN only a couple weeks to sell it to a couple who flew from Texas to snatch it up. LOL But a good choice nonetheless...
Actually. three Liberos are available on RV Trader. One of them down in Florida is a 2016 (their last year) and looks brand new.

A really quality build and had a $15k savings over their Mercedes counterpart (the Serenity which is still in production) by using the Chevy3500 cutaway platform with a bullet proof gas V8 and an Allison tranny. It provides sleeping for four people with little compromise while still providing a spacious dry bath. An interior so spacious plus a nice big skylight that I wince remembering that every time I climb into a our B. The paint job quality to die for. By comparison, our RT 210 has so much orange peel it must have been painted in a citrus orchard.

Some shortfalls: The options were pricey. The corner bed was inconvenient at night for one of you for the inevitable night time trip to the loo. The electrics were old school. Two 6 volt AGMs and that was it. I tried to get Dean to double that but he said nope. The early models could be squeezed under a ten foot overhead but not the later models which were at 10 ft 6". IMO, the the best bang for the buck that LTV now builds is the Transit Wonder which does come in under ten feet.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:26 PM   #56
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
If the couple from Texas bought the last Libero is whom I suspect, then we are good friends. Midland, Texas to be specific.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:56 PM   #57
Platinum Member

But is a 2015 used Libero worth more than a 2018 new TRAVATO?

Old 02-20-2018, 08:31 PM   #58
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technomadness View Post
But is a 2015 used Libero worth more than a 2018 new TRAVATO?

Depends on the application, plus the old apples/oranges...thing.

Concerning the Pleasureway refers, no inside info exactly but I do have info that makes me more than suspicious. I'll place a bet and give odds. Please let me know where to place the bet.

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:44 PM   #59
Platinum Member

Default Help me find a good class B or B+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Depends on the application, plus the old apples/oranges...thing.

Bud

Exactly. In that scenario I would take the Winnebago because I would rather the updated Chassis design, and much as I like PW XL and LTV — I think the welded steel of a van body is going to last longer than their fiberglass assemblies. So while Winnebago may use low cost materials and labor inside, truth is the high quality cabinetry of the LTV & PW are less critical than the welded van body for me. And even though their fiberglass assemblies are much better than Winnebagos, you can’t beat steel. (But you can sure drill a lot of holes in its ceiling tho.)

A shame LTV killed the freedom series.

I had figured used vehicles might be a good deal but the market demand for them seems to exceed supply and prices are too high.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:00 PM   #60
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
If the couple from Texas bought the last Libero is whom I suspect, then we are good friends. Midland, Texas to be specific.
Did they buy the dark gray used model at Lake Region? There was also a silver one that was... on consignment and over priced at the same time as mine.

I went to RV Trader, and I suspect that the 2016 doesn't really exist as those are all photos from the LTV website. Both 2015 units look very well taken care of... but my 2011 rig was literally the last that was under 10 feet and they switched to the new body form after it. (the door moved too)
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote