Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2019, 10:56 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Help Needed IDing Valve Stems

On my 2004 Roadtrek based on the Chevy Express 3500, I discovered a slow leak on one of my tires due to a leaking valve stem. I was going to try replacing it myself and bought what I thought was the right replacement. Then I realized I was running short on time so I just took the wheel to the local gas station to have the valve replaced. That's when I learned I had bought the wrong kind. I later thought I'd like to buy a few spares to keep on hand but I have yet to figure out what kind I need. So, does anyone know the correct valve stem replacement for the aluminum wheels on my 2004 Roadtrek 190P?
ManWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 12:29 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Please do note that I have the steel wheels so the following could be different.

You need a high pressure valve stem. It will have a metal tube sticking out instead of all rubber. Pretty much any and all tire shops that do light and heavy truck tire service will have them. I got some installed at Walmart because the shop I was at to get tires installed did not have them and I left for a road trip with the old ones. Both rear stems failed. Temps were over 100* in Nevada/Utah when they went.

Walmart replaced them for $3 each plus tax, no labor charge as their computer has no code for charging labor on this service. I had one done in St George UT and the other three done in Montrose, CO. This service was performed with tires bought and installed elsewhere, quite the (pleasant) shock when no labor was charged.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:52 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Thought I'd post a follow-up to this...

I got metal high pressure valves off amazon, drove the roadtrek down to my local service station and had them swap out the valves for me. they ended up not using my valves claiming they didn't fit - they said it wasn't easy finding high pressure valves that fit but they managed - i noticed they were rubber - also in the process they claimed one of my wheel studs broke off while they were removing a wheel - and it just so happened i had taken that very same wheel off that same day so i was surprised to hear a stud had broken off while it was being removed - all told the swap cost me $219!

I have used this station in the past and thought they did good work.
ManWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:58 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWonder View Post
Thought I'd post a follow-up to this...

I got metal high pressure valves off amazon, drove the roadtrek down to my local service station and had them swap out the valves for me. they ended up not using my valves claiming they didn't fit - they said it wasn't easy finding high pressure valves that fit but they managed - i noticed they were rubber - also in the process they claimed one of my wheel studs broke off while they were removing a wheel - and it just so happened i had taken that very same wheel off that same day so i was surprised to hear a stud had broken off while it was being removed - all told the swap cost me $219!

I have used this station in the past and thought they did good work.
I would independently verify that the service station installed the correct stems, if in doubt. Try at a tire center, or two. A failure could be catastrophic.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire valse stem