Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2019, 03:16 PM   #1
SRL

Default HELP on the road macerator problem

We are a Fla couple in N Vermont. We have a Roadtrek P210 and went to dump and macerator wont run. Fuse was blown I replaced and nothing. Turned jam crank and nothing. Called 2 road service places, one wont work on sewer problems and other hasn't called back. Is there an emergency dump procedure? And does anyone know of a good rv fixer near Burlington or Stow VT? The rv place in Burlington can't get us us in till middle of Oct. Thanks in advance for any help.
SRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:23 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRL View Post
We are a Fla couple in N Vermont. We have a Roadtrek P210 and went to dump and macerator wont run. Fuse was blown I replaced and nothing. Turned jam crank and nothing. Called 2 road service places, one wont work on sewer problems and other hasn't called back. Is there an emergency dump procedure? And does anyone know of a good rv fixer near Burlington or Stow VT? The rv place in Burlington can't get us us in till middle of Oct. Thanks in advance for any help.

Did you make sure the jam rod was pushed in and engaged in the motor before turning it? If not, it will just spin and not do anything. They are made to turn only one way, clockwise IIRC.

There may be a removable plug on the passenger side dump plumbing under the van, that you could see about half way down the length of the van by the entry door. It is tucked up into a recess in the grey tank and very hard to get a fitting on and hose. I think they started using them around 2007/2008 era. Very messy to use.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:24 PM   #3
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:

What year?
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:24 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Not knowing anyone up there, but you could try a Google search for a mobile RV repair service. A bit of a crap shoot, though.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:47 PM   #5
SRL

It's a 2005 P210.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:58 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Not sure about the P210, but some roadtrek's have an emergency dump connection underneath that will take a standard dump hose. I would ask on the roadtrek facebook groups.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 01:56 AM   #7
SRL

Thanks all, Mekkelsen RV sales Montpelier, VT was able to fit us in and found a damaged ground wire on the macerator. So 60 bucks later we are happy leaf peepers!
Old 09-28-2019, 01:34 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks all, Mekkelsen RV sales Montpelier, VT was able to fit us in and found a damaged ground wire on the macerator. So 60 bucks later we are happy leaf peepers!

Glad it all worked out well for you.

What I don't understand, though, is how a damaged ground wire could cause the fuse to be blown, as that would only happen with a positive wire going to ground. As long as it is working, that is all the matters.

Thanks for getting back with what was found, that is always useful.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 02:03 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Our 2007 Roadtrek 210P does NOT have a provision for a conventional hose dump in case of macerator failure, so I would bet the 2005 of the OP doesn't have one.

Years ago, I drilled an appropriate sized hole in the gray tank PVC pipe going to the macerator and fitted a conventional garden hose fitting, thus allowing me to use a gray drip hose in case of emergencies. This is, obviously, not an ideal solution because it does not drain the black tank, but I figured in the worse case scenario at least I could use the shower and sinks and be able to drain them. I have never had to use it, but it does work and I carry a fifteen foot garden hose for the purpose (coiled up and twist tied to the exterior of the spare tire wheel behind the continental kit.

I don't know what year RT started installing the hose connection, but it had to be after 2007 or at the earliest late in the 2007 model year.

The problem with a B, of course, is that most are too low to the ground to allow getting under there and working on stuff without a real hassle. Another thing to think about on those models of RTs is the hose from the macerator to the storage area for the hose is one continual piece of dump hose and subject to failure over time. I replaced ours years ago with an appropriate sized length of heavy duty thick hose made by BFG I purchased at Tractor Supply. It was sold to be used on agricultural spraying equipment. Now, I can replace the macerator hose only from the body of the RV and not all the way to the pump. Things do wear out over time, but I suspect that 150 psi agriculture hose will outlast me....and the RT.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 02:21 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Default This is a maintenance issue

Unfortunately, things do wear over time, and the macerator, gate valves and hose are all part of this setup. Plus, the hose itself although a heavy duty plastic is subject to weather conditions.

What this all means is that after 7 or 8 years one of more of these will fail and they probably will when you are on vacation....at the least convenient moment.....

My advice is to consider replacement anytime after 8 years. ....yes, all three at once.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:16 PM   #11
SRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Glad it all worked out well for you.

What I don't understand, though, is how a damaged ground wire could cause the fuse to be blown, as that would only happen with a positive wire going to ground. As long as it is working, that is all the matters.

Thanks for getting back with what was found, that is always useful.

Sorry I misstated a blowen fuse. I took it out and tested for continuity and there wasn't any. Later I looked closer and noticed the fuse was brittle and probably broke when I pulled it out. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:49 PM   #12
Bronze Member

Quote:
This is a nasty subject (pun intended). In my opinion, RoadTrek should have always employed a gravity system. The 190 I have is not that low to the ground. On a trip to Colorado, the impeller blades destructed and I was left with no way to dump. When I got home, I constructed an emergency gravity dump on the right side of the vehicle. It wasn't easy, but it works. I still use the macerator, but I have the emergency dump and I carry a spare macerator with me. By the way, use the macerator with the vehicle motor running. It's a tremendous load on the battery. Dave W
DWorrell3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:35 PM   #13
Bronze Member

What macerator do you use to replace the original macerator? What do you carry as a spare? Thx. 2009 210 Roadtrek Versatile
bigoldbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:03 PM   #14
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoldbob View Post
What macerator do you use to replace the original macerator? What do you carry as a spare? Thx. 2009 210 Roadtrek Versatile
The original. I think I located it on Amazon. That would be a Pentair Shurflo 3200 Macerator Pump. Apparently, it's common and used on boats, as well.

Dave W
DWorrell3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:28 PM   #15
Bronze Member

Found just now on eBay. Two dealers at $112.00, free delivery. Looks like they are on there long time. Shurflo macerator pump #3200.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:48 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Found just now on eBay. Two dealers at $112.00, free delivery. Looks like they are on there long time. Shurflo macerator pump #3200.
For that price, it sure makes replacement desirable over the "messy" job of rebuilding the inpeller (which is what usually fails first).
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:12 AM   #17
Bronze Member

I was suspicious but one dealer has sold over 400 so seems legit! Worth to keep spare just in case. Some say lasted ten years other says six months. Guess crap shoot(no pun intended) ..or how you use it.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:20 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
I was suspicious but one dealer has sold over 400 so seems legit! Worth to keep spare just in case. Some say lasted ten years other says six months. Guess crap shoot(no pun intended) ..or how you use it.
Just remember, if you carry it, you'll never need it.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:32 PM   #19
Bronze Member

Oh my! I LOVE THAT phrase! So true. Garage full of extra stuff.��
Old 10-05-2019, 04:33 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Just remember, if you carry it, you'll never need it.
Quote:
Oh my! I LOVE THAT phrase! So true. Garage full of extra stuff.��
I can sat that because I'm guilty of packing along an extra macerator our first couple of trips. Tempted fate last trip and left it at home. This is because my macerator has the gray water gravity bypass feature. So we would still be able to use gray water, just not the toilet if the macerator fails. Wouldn't be great, but could get home using public toilets, so I decided to take the chance.