Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2020, 01:52 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Help with caulk question

Does anybody know what type of caulk or seam sealant might have been used between the metal body and fiberglass roof of my 200 Versatile Roadtrek? It looks to my untrained eye like butyl something. I think it used to be white. It's cracked but still somewhat flexible. Something similar is also used at the side door joints where the fiberglass body meets the van body. Thanks!
Average_alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:21 PM   #2
Silver Member

Default Trying this one

Since I didn't receive any responses I'm going out on a limb and using 3m 4000 UV which is marketed for boat owners. There's a little bit of rust action starting in this area which it sounds like the older vans can get. Beneath the temporary top layers of caulk that had been applied by who-knows-who (we bought this RV used) there was a yellow, strong, partially-crumbling gap filler which still had some elasticity since you could dent it with a fingernail just a little bit. I'll just assume it's a urethane caulk of some sort. I'm not sure if the 3m 4000 will stick to that but it is extremely gooey and sticky out of the tube so I'm hopeful. If not it can be removed.

My local RV repair shop receptionist lady recommended Dicor non-sag formula for vertical seam sealing. I purchased a tube and didn't like the fact that you could put permanent indentations in the cured Dicor with just a fingernail. The 3M 4000 cures more like a dense rubber but not as shiny as silicones. The Dicor seemed weak to me. I also bought a tube of Proflex RV, which looked and felt more like a typical silicone (althought it's supposedly different). The 3M 4000 looked like it would be more difficult to remove and I'm hopeful that this translates into greater longevity.
Average_alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:34 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Sounds like you've researched and bought a high-quality sealant. Just make sure to read the instructions, clean the surface as directed, and you should be ok.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:47 PM   #4
Platinum Member

please post back with results-

I used a product some years ago, which seals fine but stayed tacky for weeks-

we had an Arizona Haboob dust storm and the fine red grit stuck to the sealer

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body seam, caulk, sealant