Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2015, 03:05 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
Thanks for taking the time to do such a great writeup. I went to Hershey in 2010. Convinced us we wanted a B and a Roadtrek 210P in particular. Bought a 2006 a few months later. Talked to RT head at the show, Hanemaayer, who was very helpful. It is interesting that the Chevy is still around and Roadtrek is updating them.

Did you happen to see what compressor refrigerator they are putting in the 210? I think my fridge is on the way out and I would like to replace with a compressor fridge. Of course I will need to add solar, which I want to do anyway.
I think that one was a Norcold, but I couldn't tell you for sure. The van did not have solar and had the standard 2 gel batteries, which is probably not a great setup for that fridge. I was really looking forward to seeing a great 210 with the Eco-Trek, but instead saw a standard one with no tech, but a high price.

Interestingly, Jim said that they are getting limited by GM on Chevy chassis. The Promaster is filling the gap and keeping them going.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:19 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
I agree. I saw one at my dealer when they were putting in my new battery. They are really luxurious... high end. I didn't ask about the price as I'm not interested in Sprinters. But I suspect that they are pretty pricey.
According to the salesman I talked to the prices of the MAD Sprinter RVs are about the same as an Airstream Intersate. One unique thing they do is remove all the MB gray plastic interior trim in the cab area and color match it to the interior seating color you choose. I don't think I've ever seen a Sprinter RV converter go to that detail. It's something done on their Sprinter Limo conversions. According to their web site they just started offering their Sprinter RVs in May.

https://midwestautomotivedesigns.com/
Old 09-20-2015, 03:45 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Interestingly, Jim said that they are getting limited by GM on Chevy chassis.
Hamill mentioned that on the RT Facebook site. I assume that means they are in high demand. That keeps the parts in production, which is good for those of us that plan to keep our units for a long time.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:13 AM   #24
Platinum Member

The Express vans have started showing up in the Chevy dealer ads in the Mpls area, after being mostly gone for a long time. Maybe the supply is getting better.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:16 AM   #25
Platinum Member

We saw the MAD vans at the Mpls show. To us they looked very well built, but they looked like a party bus on the inside. All shiny, chromey, with lights all over the place.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:54 AM   #26
Platinum Member

OMG... wincrasher... read your blog and Airstream had adopted MY Novacool fridge. When I was talking with GWV about converting a small Promaster, my design had this fridge... but side by side (and raised a bit off the floor)... with all above area being wardrobe/storage. Finally decent freezer space. Now, if I could only get someone else to adopt it. LOL
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:57 AM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
Hamill mentioned that on the RT Facebook site. I assume that means they are in high demand. That keeps the parts in production, which is good for those of us that plan to keep our units for a long time.
I think the Chevy Express still has alot of life left in it. If I was running Roadtrek, I might tinker with the design of the fairings and the raised top so the look is smoother and fits more flush and call it a day. The interior still works and looks good, and the equipment list is pretty good.

I'd also say they'd be well served to adopt the Truma system for heating and water heater. Saves LP and also some much needed storage space.

I think another great idea would be to take a Promaster cut-away and put a fiberglass body on it - like the 210. Not a lot wider, but you'd be able to put big outside storage on it and the same tremendous outside drawer. I think if they kept the styling simple and clean, it could be a compelling product.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:47 AM   #28
Platinum Member

Thanks for that write-up Wincrasher. I wasn't able to make the show, so it's much appreciated.

(I tried to post a comment on your website but it ate it both times (unless it went into moderation ). And then my first attempt to comment in this thread got eaten as well. I think the internet is try to tell me to go to bed.)
Old 09-20-2015, 01:07 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
Thanks for that write-up Wincrasher. I wasn't able to make the show, so it's much appreciated.

(I tried to post a comment on your website but it ate it both times (unless it went into moderation ). And then my first attempt to comment in this thread got eaten as well. I think the internet is try to tell me to go to bed.)
Yes, unfortunately I have to moderate the comments. It sends me a tickler email to go check them, so I usually get to it right away. Thanks for your note!
Old 09-20-2015, 01:46 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I got my writeup done of my observations at the Hershey show. Follow the link to my blog. It's really long, with lots of pictures.

Wincrasher's Travels: Hershey RV Show - September 18, 2015
Wincrasher,

Great writeup! Thanks for taking the time for such a thorough report.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:03 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
Saw a Rev today. Although initially it looked good, it felt cheap. In fact most of the units I saw would be hard pressed to measure up to the quality of my 2002 Coach House although I would never buy one new as they just too much $$$.

I still hit my head on every Chevy based Class B I saw and I'm only 5'7".
Really? I thought they were pretty darn well put together for what they are. This is a B+ that you can find for $60k new.
mrshowtime3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:05 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
I think that one was a Norcold, but I couldn't tell you for sure. The van did not have solar and had the standard 2 gel batteries, which is probably not a great setup for that fridge. I was really looking forward to seeing a great 210 with the Eco-Trek, but instead saw a standard one with no tech, but a high price.

Interestingly, Jim said that they are getting limited by GM on Chevy chassis. The Promaster is filling the gap and keeping them going.

Hear any new info on Transit models? Would love to see something like the REV on a dual rear wheel Transit instead.

EDIT - nevermind, just read it in the blog post. Hm, may not be seeing Transits as soon as I thought, at least not in the actual B's. Curious to see what happens with the B+/C market. But as you said Roadtrek mentioned, the cost difference between that and a Sprinter doesnt seem to be great. They need to think about customers ease of use though. Ford dealers are everywhere in the country, seems every decent sized town for service. And I personally want a gas RV.

That Coachhouse Arriva shower was the one I noticed a number of seam problems with. Just really not impressed overall with that company when you consider the price and the companies they are competing with.

Have to agree with you about Winnebago too, they do a great job of value for the money compared to these other companies. I thought LTV had the best units overall, but when you consider the price difference and that Winnie basically has many of the same exact layouts its easy to just go with them.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:22 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshowtime3 View Post
Really? I thought they were pretty darn well put together for what they are. This is a B+ that you can find for $60k new.

Coachmen also has a unit that is the same layout. It seems similar in most respects. It also has the rubber roof, which I think is a big turn-off.

The Trend has a fiberglass roof. There is a video on youtube of a test Winnebago did of them flipping one over, lifting with a crane and free dropping it on it's roof.

They are a solid RV.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:32 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Coachmen also has a unit that is the same layout. It seems similar in most respects. It also has the rubber roof, which I think is a big turn-off.

The Trend has a fiberglass roof. There is a video on youtube of a test Winnebago did of them flipping one over, lifting with a crane and free dropping it on it's roof.

They are a solid RV.
Yea I thought the Trend was nice. But we are looking for a twin bed unit. Which oddly no C maker seems to be doing that Ive seen.

Id be happy if Winnebago came out with a layout exactly like the REV twin bed model for the Trend. That layout with dual rear wheels and a gas motor I think would be just about perfect for what we are looking for right now.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:44 PM   #35
Platinum Member

I think they'd we well served to come with some kind of bolt-on rear dual wheels setup. You'd need to flare the wheel wells to fit them, but it would make a big difference on the handling and the appearance of this rig.

The tough part is they are 16" wheels. Not sure if anything like that exists or would have to be developed. They'd also need to be fashioned out of aluminum to keep the weight down.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:08 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Quote:
I think they'd we well served to come with some kind of bolt-on rear dual wheels setup. You'd need to flare the wheel wells to fit them, but it would make a big difference on the handling and the appearance of this rig.

The tough part is they are 16" wheels. Not sure if anything like that exists or would have to be developed. They'd also need to be fashioned out of aluminum to keep the weight down.
Would that significantly increase the Promaster chassis' load carrying capacity or be more of a stability improvement? I spent over an hour in a Trend yesterday and came away thinking that it'd work great for our family's needs, if only the chassis was designed to carry the people and cargo the layout has space for.

Given it's weaknesses, buying a used Trend might make sense. Otherwise the 70X + small trailer probably makes the most sense. At least you could sell/trade that 70X if needed. I'm sure the Trend takes a much bigger depreciation hit.
B Eventually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:08 PM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
I got my writeup done of my observations at the Hershey show. Follow the link to my blog. It's really long, with lots of pictures.

Wincrasher's Travels: Hershey RV Show - September 18, 2015
That "gizmo mounted to the firewall" of the Zion that they were so proud of is a Balmar MC-614 voltage regulator--the exact same one that I installed in my recent power upgrade:

IMG_6095.jpg

The alternator appears to be the same as well. I suspect that they are buying the kits from Nation's Alternator, just like I did.

So, there's a peek under the veil of their "proprietary technology."
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:30 PM   #38
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
That "gizmo mounted to the firewall" of the Zion that they were so proud of is a Balmar MC-614 voltage regulator--the exact same one that I installed in my recent power upgrade:

Attachment 2818

The alternator appears to be the same as well. I suspect that they are buying the kits from Nation's Alternator, just like I did.

So, there's a peek under the veil of their "proprietary technology."
Well, I'd say you are a more conscientious electrician then they are. You wiring looks much neater.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:02 PM   #39
Platinum Member

I really enjoyed reading your 2015 Hershey Show report wincrasher Thanks for posting it for everyone who didn't get to the show.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:12 PM   #40
Platinum Member

I really appreciated the review and you responding to my comment as well.
B Eventually is offline   Reply With Quote