Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2020, 03:36 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Hey Interblog: Aqua Magic IV

Took off my Aqua Magic IV and it looks like it suffers the same problems as the Aqua Magic V. Different than I visualized. It all does go down to the black tank as opposed to gathering around the inner base but it still is open to the interior of the toilet. Not sure if carefully using a wand just below the flapper would clear any debris. But I wanted you to know that the issues that exist with the V also exist with the IV.

Did you look at the more expensive Dometics? Did they have the same issue?

Cheers.glenn
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 03:50 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Further explanation. I've been camping in AZ in higher elevations and the last 3 times have experienced this: Leaving PHX with empty black tank = no odor. Camping at 9k feet = no odor. Drive back to PHX; RV sits overnight = odor. Flush and clean black tank = still odor. If I let it sit for a month the cycle repeats: no odor on departure.

So I pulled the toilet. Black tank inlet not very smelly (it had been emptied and flushed). But the toilet itself = stinky. Soaked toilet in large barrel with dish soap. That itself cured much of the smell but I could see in the interior what Interblog was talking about. Successive rinses and some brushing eliminated odor which leads me to believe that it WAS from substances (!) accumulating in the interior cavity of the toilet.

Great design, eh? We shall see if this plus a new floor gasket (it was fragmented at one location) solves the problem. If it does, it appears the ultimate solution is as Interblog suggests: a different toilet. Otherwise one would be removing and cleaning periodically. Incidentally, that's pretty easy. Remove 2 nuts and the water inlet fitting took 5 minutes. I had a leaky PEX right angle fitting and in the past cut my PEX line and put a shark fitting in the line that accepts a standard 1/2 inch faucet fitting from the big box store.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:04 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
Further explanation. I've been camping in AZ in higher elevations and the last 3 times have experienced this: Leaving PHX with empty black tank = no odor. Camping at 9k feet = no odor. Drive back to PHX; RV sits overnight = odor. Flush and clean black tank = still odor. If I let it sit for a month the cycle repeats: no odor on departure.

So I pulled the toilet. Black tank inlet not very smelly (it had been emptied and flushed). But the toilet itself = stinky. Soaked toilet in large barrel with dish soap. That itself cured much of the smell but I could see in the interior what Interblog was talking about. Successive rinses and some brushing eliminated odor which leads me to believe that it WAS from substances (!) accumulating in the interior cavity of the toilet.

Great design, eh? We shall see if this plus a new floor gasket (it was fragmented at one location) solves the problem. If it does, it appears the ultimate solution is as Interblog suggests: a different toilet. Otherwise one would be removing and cleaning periodically. Incidentally, that's pretty easy. Remove 2 nuts and the water inlet fitting took 5 minutes. I had a leaky PEX right angle fitting and in the past cut my PEX line and put a shark fitting in the line that accepts a standard 1/2 inch faucet fitting from the big box store.
Glenn,

Thetford 5.5 Gallon Porta Potti.

Don't know if its big enough for 2 of you for 4 days but 3 days might be perfect.

NO MORE Blacktank but keep it.

On longer trips where you cannot empty your cassette by every 4 day (unlikely), you have 10 gallons of your black tank as back up.

There is a process to emptying it but for me it's now second nature & no need to visit dump stations.

But you could easily dump there if you needed to.

A couple of times I have & its about 20% of the time & stress to dump a Porta Potti & rinse it than dumping & rinsing a black tank.

And in terms of exposure to bacteria, about 98% less.

I have a post about this & some photos, it is so libertimg to be free of Black Tanks & Dometic RM2354's - I will live 10 years longer, in a happier state, its been proven.

PS. If you can get your hand on one, they are only about a $135 expenditure - i saved that money in 10 dump station visits.

If you dont like it, you have a seat that makes a great conversation starter at bbqs.

Think of it as;

1. As a Toilet

2. And a 5 Gallon Black Tank

3. Attached to together.

4. Or split in two with a Sealed Flap, at the turn of a lever.

5. When you need to dump the contents, you simply carry it to a toilet, a dump station opening, press the air/vacuum release button as you position the exit spout over the receptacle.

6. Pour some water in, close the spout, shake it & then pour it out again.

No hoses.

No flooded dump stations.

No dry dump stations with the bacteria unseen.

No complicated flushing of the main tank with a dirty hose (I had a hole cut into the side of my rig, into the rear of the kitchen cabinet so I could thread through my own clean hose so it was away from any debris & wasn't dragged through the rig - see photo).

No mess.*

*not imbibing a large amount of alcohol beforehand or any condition of vertigo or dizziness would not be consistent with the level of adroitness one learns.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200727_132053_resized.jpg (230.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20200727_132049_resized.jpg (275.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20190326_125200_resized.jpg (270.4 KB, 8 views)
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:15 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Where the rear of the faucet mounts you can see on both the Popular & Versatile models there is already an existing indent there in the cabinet for the hose to pass through.

It's as though the Engineers had already thought of this innovation but decided not offer it as an option - it works great but not having to or visiting dump stations in any way, makes life so much more liberating.

And of course, the health benefits of being able to take the toilet off thst ridiculous 6 inch platform, turn it so its facing the rear seating area, placing your feet on that 2 inch platform & then making your deposit is the best way to improve elimination of the lower bowel.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 09-06-2020, 07:23 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Here are two photos showing that platform, in one you see the rear seating area that I had Carpeted & Hemmed & then the Platform was Slate from the house & in the second you see the toilet in the Shoser/Aisle/Galley area & instead of Slate, I went to a wood platform instead.

That raised two inches on which to place your heels versus the 6 plus inches of the Roadtrek configuration with no heel elevationis dramatic in the health benefits.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140718_224552_resized.jpg (148.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20200727_042552_resized_1.jpg (208.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20200727_042548.jpg (93.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20200727_042605.jpg (97.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 09-06-2020, 12:47 PM   #6
Platinum Member

TMD, how do you handle the grey water?

GallenH, I sprayed the inside and outside of that swivel pin on the top right side of the housing that penetrates through the housing with a bunch of white spray grease and motorcycle wax chain lube. I then wrapped a pipe cleaner around the outside of the pin and then sprayed some more.

The factory sealing effort at this point does leave a lot to be desired.

This was on an Aqua5 foot flush. I needed a toilet on the road and it's the only one short enough to fit. The 200 Roadtrek has a storage cabinet on the wall behind the toilet with a drop down door that would not open with a taller toilet.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:14 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Here are some photo's of the set up:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190107_084344_resized.jpg (187.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20200722_122535.jpg (208.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20200722_120348.jpg (200.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20200722_125822.jpg (171.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20200906_101334.jpg (153.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 09-13-2020, 11:05 PM   #8
Platinum Member

You know you've hit the big time when you open up a forum newsletter in your email box and see your own username in one of the thread titles.

It doesn't surprise me that generations of Thetfords share features. Why would a manufacturer adhere to such a faulty design in LATER versions...? Designs typically improve with time, not worsen.

Incidentally, for those who may be interested - and there are going to be precious few of you - I have started ruminating on sweeping van toilet redesigns. Fundamental paradigm shifts. It turns out that the answer to the question "Which is better - black water toilets or composting toilets?" is a resounding *NEITHER*. The optimal design will combine some features of both, but superficially resemble neither one.

Where the hell does this line of thought come from?!

The pandemic changed everything for us this year - it prevented us from dumping at approved stations by forbidding us to access them, and it forced us into 14-day quarantine. We had to completely change how we manage waste in our van, in response to these unprecedented restrictions. Part of that discussion commences here in this other thread if you are interested in a prelude.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:50 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
You know you've hit the big time when you open up a forum newsletter in your email box and see your own username in one of the thread titles.

It doesn't surprise me that generations of Thetfords share features. Why would a manufacturer adhere to such a faulty design in LATER versions...? Designs typically improve with time, not worsen.

Incidentally, for those who may be interested - and there are going to be precious few of you - I have started ruminating on sweeping van toilet redesigns. Fundamental paradigm shifts. It turns out that the answer to the question "Which is better - black water toilets or composting toilets?" is a resounding *NEITHER*. The optimal design will combine some features of both, but superficially resemble neither one.

Where the hell does this line of thought come from?!

The pandemic changed everything for us this year - it prevented us from dumping at approved stations by forbidding us to access them, and it forced us into 14-day quarantine. We had to completely change how we manage waste in our van, in response to these unprecedented restrictions. Part of that discussion commences here in this other thread if you are interested in a prelude.
I am glad someone else finally said what I was unable to all this time.

Comments like TMI, etc.

When in fact Cities measure Covid 19 in Sewer Water, etc & the increased risk of transmission via contact with sewage, ie; rv dump stations.

Everytime I mention it my posts are removed.

A Porta Potti is not the perfect solution but if it allows me to avoid Dump Stations (that are never, ever clean, rarely disinfected, with multiple individuals dumping), and, that in itself, is the first step.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:02 AM   #10
Platinum Member

I am not a member over there at Aitstream but I give my support fight here Interblog.

As for two people in one vehicle using one Thetford unit like I have; every 3-4 Days (conservatively) you are going to need access to a toilet to discharge your Thetford Cassette. Unless you buy another cassette separately.

Then you have 7-8 days. Plus the utility of the Blackwater tank asExtra Storage capacity.

A Conservative estimate is One Gallon of Solids, Paper & Urine, per person.

Mine is 10 gallons & every 10 days past tenths I would empty it.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:08 AM   #11
Platinum Member

This is the unit to purchase.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006WPQN2G/ref=emc_b_5_mob_i

It's low.

Its square.

Its stable.

Its appropriate as even 4.5 gallons which is less than 78%, gets heavy for anyone.

You might find it at your local camping or marine store quicker than amazon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 058979_1.jpg (19.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 09-14-2020, 12:10 AM   #12
Platinum Member

IMO, if people don't want to read comments about toileting, then they should skip those threads where toileting is discussed.

As I mentioned on the other forum, there is a REASON why FitRV has three quarters of a million views on their composting toilet review video. It's because they discuss pros and cons in a frank manner, without mincing words. Nobody else does that, but people need to hear it if they are to make informed decisions.

I am not concerned myself with catching any disease at a dump station. Disease transmission requires threshold concentration + exposure pathway. There is no pathogen of which I am currently aware that has a high risk of transmission at a dump station, if one is taking reasonable sanitary precautions.

My concern is being able to access a dump station AT ALL. Physically, in any way. My concern is *being allowed in the front gate of the facility*. No matter how faithfully I adhere to the law in certain jurisdictions where I travel, the xenophobia is running so high that I risk being denied service. This is not an isolated phenomenon - another case just got published today, in fact.

Let me re-state this explicitly for clarity just in case anyone is still missing the point:

Nova Scotia allows service discrimination on the basis of geographic residence, even in the case of its fellow Canadian citizens. In a vehicle with Texas plates, I could pull up to every dump station in the province, and every one of them in turn could flatly tell me, "We don't serve your kind here - now get out!" and I would have no choice but to comply. This is the case even if I am 100% in compliance with every law of the land both emergency and non-emergency.

The coronavirus pandemic is not going away any time soon, and this is what I face because of it. Therefore, my toilet options must evolve to meet the needs of our new collective situation.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:15 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Xenophobic might be too harsh a term.

But I do see your overall point.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:17 AM   #14
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
Xenophobic might be too harsh a term.

But I do see your overall point.
I think that she is saying she Wants to use her black water tank, but darn she will have to settle for.................
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:20 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Do you have a link to the FitRV Article on Composting Toilets?

I, like many others, were turned off by their obviously slanted attack on Cassette Toilets & after some research, my suspicions about their motives became clear; Money, Money & Money.

Don't know if I purchased my Cassette Unit before, during or after I saw that particular video.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:21 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Has anyone had any experience with the INCINERATOR Model?
Old 09-14-2020, 12:25 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
This is the unit to purchase.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006WPQN2G/ref=emc_b_5_mob_i

It's low.

Its square.

Its stable.

Its appropriate as even 4.5 gallons which is less than 78%, gets heavy for anyone.

You might find it at your local camping or marine store quicker than amazon.
.....and it is not a cassette toilet, it is called by Thetford Porta Potti. Cassette toilets are stationary, permanent, often with venting system. https://www.thetford.com/products/to...sette-toilets/
The difference between cassette toilet and porta-potti is similar to amps and amphours, no difference for some and a lot for many.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:03 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
IMO, if people don't want to read comments about toileting, then they should skip those threads where toileting is discussed.

As I mentioned on the other forum, there is a REASON why FitRV has three quarters of a million views on their composting toilet review video. It's because they discuss pros and cons in a frank manner, without mincing words. Nobody else does that, but people need to hear it if they are to make informed decisions.
Just for the record, there has been no censorship based on squeamishness or any other content-related issue. Some messages have been deleted, but this was based entirely on rules-violations, such as advocating illegal activities, dubious medical claims, etc.

So, gross us out to your heart's content. Just think before you type.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:36 AM   #19
Platinum Member

GeorgeRA,

Its close enough.

Let the members do the hair splitting IF they want to investigate it further.

We are here to point each other in the right direction (or the direction we think is right).

The Porta Potti for me, along with keeping my Black Tank Plumbing, was so overwhelmingly more positive than continuing with the Black Tank than even considering the work needed to retrofit a Cassete unit into my Roadtrek.

By a 1000 miles.

As for Amps & Amp Hours, they are strict mathematicsl units ie; a 1000 amps or a 1000 amp hours but you understood what I meant.

And yet there is a huge difference between confusing Amps with Volts

But I didn't understand your comment about chasing issues with the Novakool when on earlier pages of a 9 page community effort I was instructed by Novakool to check amps at the Fridge with a Clampmeter, at no time was I advised to check the Voltage at the fridhe until page 8 after the bad negative connection was discovered accidentally by my RV guy.

I followed everything everyone asked me to all the way through & its with this intent we must meet other posters. Where their educational level is, not ours..

While this week I plan to get the volume of many different electrical theory & practice posts I participated in explained to me at last, that hasn't happened yet.

But I did have the Volts at the fridge measured and even tjougjnthe compressor was running it was as high at 13.12 volts in part because of two brand new Lifeline batteries & a little bit of Solar breaking through the smole filled skys. And I had him go over every single crimp as you asked.

Words are less an exacting measurement than amps & amp hours & rather than splitting hairs, pointing members in a direction using words as a signpost & then having them do their own due diligence, effects the same result or better.

And it encourages better relations & a willingness to participate than to lurk for fear of looking foolish & being chastised.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:47 AM   #20
Platinum Member

I think its hilarious that conversations about black tanks, composting toilets or anything related get members so upset.

As for dubious medical claims, its another area where one's expertise in area has to be presented in an oblique manner.

I won't overwhelm you with what we suspect & has been documented as a Covid 19 transmission risk.

Amps are not amp hours but a few weeks back, everyone understood the intention.

And I wasn't doing the connecting of anything, I was leaving that to a Professional so there was no danger of setting myself on fire or an innocent town.

I should add that in NZ & Australia Porta Potti's were described as Cassettes.

In Europe they are described as both Cassettes & Magazines.

The latter being more confusing.