Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #1

Default High CO2 levels with Gen running

After months of trial and error I finally got my Onan 2800 running flawlessly. Fired it up this morning and turned on the AC to run an all day test on it. After about an hour, my CO2 detector was showing 140 ppm. I opened the roof vent slightly and it dropped to 60 ppm. Do I need or do they make some kind of exhausted extension for then gens. It doesn't seem normal that I should have to open the roof vent to be safe in the unit. Any other ideas? I have replaced the entire exhaust from the muffler to the rail pipe and there are no leaks.
Bukrub66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:49 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: High CO2 levels with Gen running

this roadtrek owner uses a Genturi(i linked to generator section-his genturi info is elsewhere on his site)

http://roadtrek190popular.blogspot.com/ ... rator.html

your other option might be a hose extension like car repair shops that vent exhausts to ouside garage-many briands and sizes of these
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:54 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Carbon Monoxide, CO, is the bad stuff. Produced in engine exhaust. That's what we monitor for, as it can and will kill you if the amounts get significant.

Carbon Dioxide, CO2, is what keeps my soda pop drinkable.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:28 PM   #4
Platinum Member

You have to have an air leak to the inside somewhere. Even complete leakfree exhaust is no guarantee, as wind will push the fumes back underneath the van, and around it. Check all the windows and doors for leaks, as well as any areas that might give a path to the inside, particularly underneath the van. I might help to know what van you have, as someone may have personal experience with one. Worst case is you could go to a body shop and have them leak test it with a pressurized smoke bomb.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:02 PM   #5

Sorry, thought it was in my Signature. It's a 93 Roadtrek Popular 210. I'm certain it leaks, lol. It is 20+ Years old. I guess I just assumed the tail pipe would push it out in the air rather than back into the RV. I will find an exhaust extender and direct it away from the unit. It will be used very little, but don't want to die just in case.
Bukrub66 is offline   Reply With Quote