Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2020, 06:19 PM   #41
Platinum Member

I suspect if the other RV owner is getting by with what he is doing that I doubt he would want to amplify and call attention to this issue.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:16 PM   #42
Bronze Member

Have you checked to see if the streets are public or private within the gated community?
I had the same problem and found the streets were public. Parked on the street. Now HOA says park on my driveway..
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:59 PM   #43
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by South View Post
Have you checked to see if the streets are public or private within the gated community?
I had the same problem and found the streets were public. Parked on the street. Now HOA says park on my driveway..

See the previous posts, it has been discussed and they are private.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 11:07 PM   #44
Bronze Member

Some pick up trucks are longer. Perhaps you can find sympathetic neigjbors and gang up on management at the next meeting of owners. Look for people with vans or big trucks. Loading and unloading shouldn't be regulated, only parking overnight.
tomiverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 12:54 AM   #45
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by werdnash2002 View Post
Thanks Jon, I will try that. Unfortunately before when they confronted me about parking it there permanently (Before I moved it to storage) The Management company refused to take my calls, read or answer my emails and told me all communication would be with the owner only.

Mike I wish it was that simple, I have 850+ credit and great income and I got turned down on 10 places here before I found this one. The real estate market here is out of control. For every rental they have 20, 30+ applicants. People start offering over asking on rentals! Most bottom of the barrel houses are $600k+ and selling for $150k over asking in many cases (In many cases your up against cash buyers who will close in a week). The problem is give up my current place and run the risk of not finding something else in time. I also don't want to be forced out of somewhere because of a few grumpy men on the HOA board you know.
Guess you don’t want to be a full-timer...OR, when I was in Key West, I parked my RV behind someone’s privacy fence in their driveway, so nosy people didn’t know boop what was going on...
NFRicaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 02:15 AM   #46

Quote:
The do own the street unfortunately. It is gated and has signs saying private roads. This is the exact wording of the rule they are saying im in violation of.

"No Trailer, Camper, Mobile Home, Boat or similar equipment or commercial vehicle , truck other than a standard size pick up truck, or dilapidated, inoperable or abandoned vehicle shall be parked, kept, stored or permitted to remain upon any area within the development, OTHER THAN TEMPORARILY IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE RULES.

To me its very clear this rule means you cannot store these vehicles here but they are allowed to be here temporarily ie in 2 hour parkings, while someone is moving in and out, while you load unload, while someone is having work done etc. The law here is they have to give you a 72 hour notice to tow a vehicle. Good luck to them giving me a notice while I load, unload and wash. I'll be in an out in under an hour and anyone who tries to put a notice on my windshield might get soaked by a pressure washer
You must have the owner argue for you..you are actually not a member of the HOA..
PATSENSING@ICLOUD.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 04:45 AM   #47
Bronze Member

Good evening (I write on Sunday night) and so sorry for your woes. I see you have received lots of advice so I will forgo such. I have a question. How much stress do you really want to endure? What is "winning" worth, supposing you could even do such? I live in an HOA community and understand my 2002 Dodge Roadtrek 190 is not welcome. So it is off site. That is just the way it is and I don't stress over such. Seek some peace for yourself and your health.
sehsteve@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 05:36 AM   #48
Platinum Member

Quote:

No joke they are installing a security camera across my from home today! This is getting ridiculous. Link to Google picture above not sure how to post pictures on here any other way
They may be in violation of CA PC 632, if they record a confidential communication of anyone who does not know they are being recorded. This usually pertains to audio recording, but it includes video recorded with audio.
Typically, security systems sold in CA do not connect to the microphone if it has one.

https://www.wklaw.com/can-I-record-a...-person-pc-632
Nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:33 AM   #49
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hey guys wondering if anyone can offer me any advice on this. I have a 2006 Roadtrek 190 and my HOA has been on my back for 6 months plus regarding it. First they told me I could no longer park it in the neighborhood. I pushed back because there was nothing in the CCR's. They responded by making a new rule for me (no campers). I moved it to a storage lot to get them off my back. Now they are sending me letters saying I'm not allowed to even drive it inside the gates of the neighborhood because the CCR's says no campers (in the parking section, referencing long term parking) In the same section it also says no commercial vehicles. In my mind if that bylaw means they aren't allowed in the gates, then that means no trash trucks, no moving trucks, no Fed Ex trucks etc are allowed in here either. I am parking it in the 2 hour parking area and loading, unloading and cleaning it. Not parking it overnight. I know it all stems from one nosey neighborhor who is always snooping around when I have it here. Any advice appreciated. Thanks
This is exactly why I will never live in a community with an HOA, ever. Just the thought of someone telling me what I can and cannot do on my own property makes my blood boil. I've known a couple of people who tried to take on HOAs for exactly this reason and they both lost the fight. Unfortunately, these organizations often have the backing of the local power structure (city council, mayor's office, etc) and this makes them extremely difficult to beat. Your only recourse may be to move
dhectorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 02:44 PM   #50
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhectorg View Post
This is exactly why I will never live in a community with an HOA, ever. Just the thought of someone telling me what I can and cannot do on my own property makes my blood boil. I've known a couple of people who tried to take on HOAs for exactly this reason and they both lost the fight. Unfortunately, these organizations often have the backing of the local power structure (city council, mayor's office, etc) and this makes them extremely difficult to beat. Your only recourse may be to move
Many HOA's are set up to share common property such as the streets, and green space, and to share common cost and contracting of exterior maintenance, landscaping, grass mowing, snow plowing including driveways and porches, gutter cleaning, trash hauling and exterior home owner's insurance. Without that I would not be free to travel in our Class B one-third of the year. We don't have common facilities such as community centers, pools, playgrounds, etc. which we may have no interest in using. With all that, our monthly cost is less than maintaining our home and property we had with no HOA for 34 previous years. I knew going in I could not park my Class B there and accepted that by buying a remote garage condo which is way better than storing outdoors in Minnesota. I don't feel sympathy for the OP. One more thing HOA's try to do is protect property values. It's a choice and I don't see where renters have a vested interest.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:31 PM   #51
Silver Member

There is one way to do this. Get a proper lawyer. There is at least one way to not do this. Ask on a internet forum.
Sehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 05:59 PM   #52
Platinum Member

As I recall, the OP already moved his van to a storage space and he only needs to drive it to his place to load and unload it. I wouldn't waste my money on an attorney or litigation just to be able to load and unload it at the apartment. How hard is it to transport your things by car and load it at the storage space and avoid irritating neighbors.

Our neighborhood was pretty lax on things like this and people eventually started parking their Class A's, their 30 ft trailers, semi-truck cabs, big work panel trucks, etc. etc. on our streets. The first people to appropriately complain were the people trying to sell their homes in this environment. If you give people an inch, they take a mile.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 04:11 AM   #53
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
As I recall, the OP already moved his van to a storage space and he only needs to drive it to his place to load and unload it. I wouldn't waste my money on an attorney or litigation just to be able to load and unload it at the apartment. How hard is it to transport your things by car and load it at the storage space and avoid irritating neighbors.

Our neighborhood was pretty lax on things like this and people eventually started parking their Class A's, their 30 ft trailers, semi-truck cabs, big work panel trucks, etc. etc. on our streets. The first people to appropriately complain were the people trying to sell their homes in this environment. If you give people an inch, they take a mile.
That seems insane to me. People have jobs and lives that require them to drive different kinds of vehicles. Anyone who would be that offended by the mere sight of an RV or panel truck needs psychiatric assistance, in my opinion. HOAs are proof that MANY people have an authoritarian streak and they have an irrational need to have total control over their environment. I believe in freedom, with all of it's messiness.
dhectorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 12:59 PM   #54
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhectorg View Post
That seems insane to me. People have jobs and lives that require them to drive different kinds of vehicles. Anyone who would be that offended by the mere sight of an RV or panel truck needs psychiatric assistance, in my opinion. HOAs are proof that MANY people have an authoritarian streak and they have an irrational need to have total control over their environment. I believe in freedom, with all of it's messiness.
I guess you don't mind Cousin Eddie parking out in front of your house. To each is own.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:04 PM   #55
Site Team

Moderator's note:
This discussion is still OK, but it is trending toward the political, which the list doesn't allow. Please be careful, everyone.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:31 AM   #56
Platinum Member

My experience with HOA varies a lot, mostly it is on the negative side. We are in the reasonably new HOA development and the current HOA is OK, at least the price is OK.

But today on the Portland KATU-ABC news folks reported a very disturbing local situation. A couple with children, both on critical jobs, she is a nurse and he somewhere in government. Both with high probability to be exposed to COVID-19 decided to park their motorhome on their property in case of quarantine. They notified the HOA board with their intent. In replay they got a sticker on the motorhome about $100/day penalty. KATU news folks tried to contact HOA but no success.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:41 AM   #57

well I was letting the stress get the better of me so decided to break my lease and got a single family place at a cut rate price due to virus. I should get the keys by Friday and plan to load, unload and was my RV as much as possible until I move on the 15th
werdnash2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 11:56 AM   #58
Gold Member

Quote:
well I was letting the stress get the better of me so decided to break my lease and got a single family place at a cut rate price due to virus. I should get the keys by Friday and plan to load, unload and was my RV as much as possible until I move on the 15th
Good for you and I can totally relate. No more HOA's for my. I lived in places where the commandos did not use common sense. My RV is set up for anything, and a article I read about RV's being safe for movement sounded about right. I pray this virus ends and things start to get back to normal. Best wishes everyone.
Beachlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:27 PM   #59
Bronze Member

My 2010 Pleasure-Way Excel is legally registered as a VAN not a CAMPER.
Wandering Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:47 PM   #60
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Wes View Post
My 2010 Pleasure-Way Excel is legally registered as a VAN not a CAMPER.
Different states have different rules in registering RVs. In Minnesota you would want to register a Class B as an RV to get a significant break on licensing cost yearly and maybe insurance (don't quote me on this latter because I haven't thoroughly investigated it as it is water over the dam for me.)

However, if it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, then it is a duck and I don't know if it has any bearing on HOA rules as to how it is licensed.

The Coronavirus is a temporary and exceptional situation which shouldn't have any bearing on HOA rules but does fall under common sense in interpreting the rules temporarily in a crisis.